Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro vs Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro

jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2009 7:25PM
Hi,

I am a keen young photographer and I love wildlife photography and I would love to buy a good macro lens for insects, flies etc...

Which of these two are better, and if neither are recommended what else is there? I have a Nikon D70.

Thanks, I hope you can help,

Jonah

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
4 Aug 2009 7:29PM
The Tamron is better by a long shot. Working with insects the more working distance you have between lens and subject, the better.
I used the Tamron for many years, it's a superb lens.

Justin
GazzaG2003 11 252 England
4 Aug 2009 8:39PM
I have a friend who has the tamron 90mm and the detail/sharpness is superb, i was going to get this lens 2 weeks ago, but i had the chance of the sigma 150mm macro 2.8, and this lens is nothing short of magnificent... i love it..
pink e2
11 1.9k 5 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2009 8:46PM
I have the Tamron and you would not be disapointed
ge22y e2
6 115 12 Wales
4 Aug 2009 10:29PM
I've got the tamron 90mm and the sigma 50mm both are excellent lenses for the money, I would probably go for the tamron 90mm if you're looking at doing insects, check out my wifes pf most of her real close up macro shots are done with the 90mm tamron, also doubles as a good portrait lens.

Gez
ge22y e2
6 115 12 Wales
sorry she's hellsbells8868 lol...
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
Thanks guys

I will definitely buy the tamron if you say its better,

Thanks
Jonah
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2009 10:30PM
ok thanks,

I will check it out

Jonah
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2009 10:39PM

Quote:Sorry she's hellsbells8868 lol

Gez can you please give me a link I can't find her portfolio.

Also, does anyone know the cheapest place to get a Tamron 90mm??

I don't really care if it is used or new.
Even if eBay.

Thanks
Jonah
4 Aug 2009 10:56PM
late in on the conversation but do all len's have a very small DOF at lower f/ stops? (is in half inch per f/stop increase...then further away the distance in veiw gets seriously big in comparison...).
MikeH e2
9 217 4 England
5 Aug 2009 5:22AM
I use a Tamron on my D70, it is super sharp and very quick to focus.
Look on secondhand at Mifsuds or MPB , they sometimes have them around 200,
Mike
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2009 8:49AM

Quote:Late in on the conversation but do all len's have a very small DOF at lower f/ stops? (is in half inch per f/stop increase...then further away the distance in veiw gets seriously big in comparison...).

I think it does yes. When I take a photo of something where I need to get the whole body in, I need the smallest aperature such as f/32. This reduces DOF problems... I think!

Jonah
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2009 4:28PM
Hi guys,

Bought the Tamron, can't wait for it to come!!!!

Jonah
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
5 Aug 2009 5:00PM

Quote:When I take a photo of something where I need to get the whole body in, I need the smallest aperature such as f/32. This reduces DOF problems... I think!

Jonah

OUCH!
Well it will give you more depth of field, but past f16 diffraction starts to take place which directly leads to softening the end image, that and your going to need some strong flash light or a long exposure when stoppded down that far.

Instead of going down that rout I would recomend 2 things

1) learn to work with what you have - go to f13 or f16, stay there and learn to get the focus right to get the right parts of the subject/image in focus. Its not easy but its well worth mastering this skill

2) If you have a subject (sleepy insect, cold insect, inamimate object) which is static and no wind either set your camera up on a tripod, use a focusing rail and fix the magnifcation (focus) of the lens. Then take a series of shots moving the camera a tiny bit closer for each shot (using the rail) whilst keeping the focus untouched - the result is a series of images which (all together) cover the whole image that you want in focus. Then you can use a free image stacking program (I use Combine ZM - upgraded now to ZP) to stack the shots into a single composite image which will have the full depth displayed.
A great side bonus is that when done right this method will knock out a lot of noise from the shot and also give you a very sharp end result
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2009 6:29PM
Thanks for telling me!
Would this happen with all the other macro lenses made canon, nikon, sigma etc.?

Before I bought the Tamron, I had 9.99 extension macro screw-on things.
Surely the Tamron will be better?

Please help.

Thanks again
Jonah

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.