Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tamron af 90mm macro lens

13 Mar 2008 7:03PM
hello everyone, i,ve just bought a tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di marco lens, i cant seem to get the auto focusing to work i,ve read the manual but i obsviously dont understand it, is it faulty do you think or is there something i,m not doing, my camara is nikon d80 by the way ,all help would be appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
13 Mar 2008 7:05PM
It is a push-pull mechanism.
Push/Pull the focusing ring to activate either auto / manual focusing.
13 Mar 2008 9:06PM
do i feel stupid or what, even the wifes calling me.thanks for your help coltranekoh.
looboss 7 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2008 9:52PM
is the lens any good?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
13 Mar 2008 10:16PM
It is a great lens, Luis, very sharp. I used to have one, but I don't like it when it hunts for focusing as it is noisy.
mjsayles 8 1.0k
13 Mar 2008 10:22PM
It is a superbly sharp lens. I've had one for about 6 years now. It can be noisy when the AF is hunting, but that's not an issue for me, as 99% of the time I use manual focus with macro.
justin c 10 4.5k 36 England
13 Mar 2008 10:28PM
Another satisfied Tamron user. Had one for years and it's a superb lens and optically excellent.
looboss 7 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2008 10:43PM

Quote:It is a great lens, Luis, very sharp. I used to have one, but I don't like it when it hunts for focusing as it is noisy.

That's OK I don't plan to use in a Library LOL!
thanks..
But would the Sigma 100 macro be better?
13 Mar 2008 11:46PM

Quote:But would the Sigma 100 macro be better?

Similar yes. As good as, maybe. Better, no.

All macro lenses will be slow to focus due to the huge range the auto focus must search, i.e. from inches away to infinity.
For macro photography manually focusing is generally the best way to go.

I owned the Tamron 90mm macro for years and now own the Canon 100mm macro. The Tamron's focusing is noisier than on the Canon but I wouldn't say the Tamron's focusing speed and accuracy was inferior to the Canon in any way.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Mar 2008 8:23AM
Interesting, Justin.
I was thinking of either getting Canon 100 macro or Sigma 150 macro. Is canon not focusing faster than the tamron?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Mar 2008 8:42AM
Canon has much faster AF, but is not better optically IMO.
culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2008 8:43AM
Ive had the canon 100mm for a long time and have used it for variety of work from portraits to macro to landscape. Its a superb lens and one I highly recommend. i have used the Tamron on a trail from intro2020 and although I thought it a good lens i personally found the Canon to be faster, sharper, less hunting, and altogether a better unit.

Dan
14 Mar 2008 8:50AM
Hi Cole,

There's certainly been occasions when working at fairly respectable magnifications where the Canon's auto focus hasn't locked on and I know from experience that the Tamron would of.
This isn't really an issue though in the slightest as manual focusing is usually the way to go anyway, as you know.
I don't often use the Canon 100mm macro for much other that close-up work but I wouldn't be suprised if the Canon's focus was faster at more respectable subject distances, i.e. portraits, etc.

I'm not saying in any way the Canon is below par, I think it's an absolutely outstanding lens in every way and although I thought the Tamron was outstanding too, now I've had the chance to use both I'd go for the Canon every time, not because it's necessarily better optically than the Tamron, as there's very little in it, but I prefer the build quality of the Canon.

Cole, don't let my obsevation put you off in the slightest. I havn't done back to back tests to confirm the Tamron will auto focus better on the odd occasion over the Canon, it was just a general feeling I got after going from the Tamron for many years to the Canon and that was only now and again and perhaps in certain specific situations.
Like I said I'd buy the Canon again in a heartbeat.

Canon or Sigma 150mm that's a really tough choice. I've heard so many glowing reports of the Sigma I'm quite tempted to go that route as well, my dilema is between the Sigma 150mm and the 180mm. Maximum working distance and minimum angle of view sounds very appealing.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll be thrilled with either lens. I certainly am with the Canon.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
14 Mar 2008 9:03AM
Many thanks.
I like the 150mm of sigma as I would use the macro lens mainly on insects.
But I would love to hear the comparison between quality and focusing of the sigma 150 and canon 100mm.
conrad 10 10.9k 116
14 Mar 2008 9:06AM
Shouldn't you be comparing it with the 180 instead of the 100?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.