Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tamron SP 90mm f2.8 Di Macro (272E) or Nikkor AF-S 60mm f2.8 Micro?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Alokchitri
7 Oct 2011 - 8:15 AM

Hello friends

Please help me to choose between these two lenses. Both lenses cost more or less the same. Both these lenses sports an in-body motor. And both are quite highly rated here at ePhotozine and other sites. I intend to use the lens with Nikon D90.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Oct 2011 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kaybee
kaybee  103809 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 9:17 AM

It depends on how close you want to get to your subject.
If your intended 'victim' is a bug of some kind then you may be better with the longer reach of the 90mm.
If size and weight of the lens is an issue then the smaller 50mm may be better for you.

K4RL
K4RL e2 Member 6K4RL vcard United Kingdom
7 Oct 2011 - 1:00 PM

Tamron every time

MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Oct 2011 - 2:18 PM

Tamron , bitingly sharp.

Alokchitri
7 Oct 2011 - 3:16 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I would not like to limit my choices of subjects that I would intend to use the lens for. Frankly speaking, in my country optical lenses are a very costly commodity and so if I buy a Macro lens, I would like to see it serving different purposes from shooting nature to portraits and still life. Predominantly though I am a nature photographer an d would like to buy it principally to shoot nature like bugs and flowers and some people photography.

kaybee
7 Oct 2011 - 7:16 PM

Go with the longer Tamron one then

Cagey75
Cagey75  340 forum posts Ireland
15 Oct 2011 - 9:01 PM

You can go with suggestions from those who clearly haven't a clue, or the logical ones ...

The Nikon 60mm f/2.8D is one of Nikon's sharpest ever lenses. Now, if the Tamron was sharper, that is suggesting it is sharper than most nikon lenses ever made!

Look up some reliable review sites regarding both. The Nikon will be sharper, easily, and doesn't extend near as far out at 1:1. Do proper research rather than relying on opinions of people on forums I'd say. both will be very sharp, the tamron's only advantage will be the focal length. It does , however, extend much further out when close focusing, and is noisier [I have used both] which can scare away bugs and flies etc ..

kaybee
15 Oct 2011 - 11:41 PM

So is asking questions here not research?
It sounds like you are writing off everyone here as not being worth listening to (other than yourself of course)
When it comes to critical close focusing I would always switch off the auto anyway - therefor no sound.
I have also never heard of anyone complaining that the Tamron 'extends too far'

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
15 Oct 2011 - 11:51 PM

Quote: You can go with suggestions from those who clearly haven't a clue,

Pots and Kettles comes to mind here.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
22 Oct 2011 - 9:19 AM

I'm a bit late to the party but I will add my comments.

Quote: You can go with suggestions from those who clearly haven't a clue, or the logical ones ...

The Nikon 60mm f/2.8D is one of Nikon's sharpest ever lenses. Now, if the Tamron was sharper, that is suggesting it is sharper than most nikon lenses ever made!

Look up some reliable review sites regarding both. The Nikon will be sharper, easily, and doesn't extend near as far out at 1:1. Do proper research rather than relying on opinions of people on forums I'd say. both will be very sharp, the tamron's only advantage will be the focal length. It does , however, extend much further out when close focusing, and is noisier [I have used both] which can scare away bugs and flies etc ..

There's no need to be rude. And you might like to note that the OP was asking about the Nikon 60mm AFS F2.8 micro Nikkor, not the older AFD lens.

Many people have suggested that the decision should be based on use and I agree. The Tamron is better for insects, the Nikon is better for indoor shots and general use where working space might be limited. Both lenses are very sharp, and you will not be disappointed with either in that respect. The Tamron has a different rendition, less contrasty. not worse, just different, and some might prefer it.

I have owned both lenses as well as the older Nikon 60mm F2.8 AF lens. All three lenses are first rate, and on a D200 I was unable to see any significant differences in resolution when stopped down. What I did not like about the Tamron were the non standard filter thread size, the feel of the plastic (probably very well made and hard wearing, but it feels a tad cheap), and the pastel rendition as I prefer the Nikon look.

Alokchitri
24 Oct 2011 - 4:55 AM

Thanks for your replies fellas....but the price for AF-S version of the Nikkor 60mm is pretty high, and I could not find much justification for that as there is not much of a difference of IQ between the two. The AF-D version is also priced higher. SO I think it's the Tamron after all....I need the longer working distance....

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014724 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2011 - 7:45 AM

There are some good deals on Ebay, and Amazon on the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro now that the OS version is out.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
24 Oct 2011 - 8:15 PM

Quote: There are some good deals on Ebay, and Amazon on the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro now that the OS version is out.

Like This one Smile

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Oct 2011 - 8:36 PM

I use the Tamron, although it is a little longer than the Nikon, it is still really light and tack sharp, personnally i prefere the extra length not only for extra distance between me and the subject but it also allows me to throw the background out of focus easier.

Terry.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014724 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2011 - 8:46 PM

I'm tempted Paul, but I have my heart set on a 70-200mm.Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.