Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tapatalk

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm just starting to use Tapatalk for the various forums I frequent and am just about to implement it on my own site.

Is this in the pipeline for the EPZ forum? Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jun 2013 - 11:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

theorderingone
    10 Jun 2013 - 12:14 PM

I had the very same thought after installing Tapatalk on my phone the other day. It works really well for mobile forum browsing.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72365 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2013 - 12:46 PM

No, we are working on making the entire site mobile friendly with 'responsive design' instead of going down a 3rd party app

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139495 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2013 - 3:36 PM

That's a pity. The idea of Tapatalk is that you access all your favourite forums with a single app, including push notification if you want it.

I suspect, very soon, any forum which does not have the Tapatalk facility may see its traffic dwindle somewhat, "mobile-friendly" or not!

Last Modified By Carabosse at 10 Jun 2013 - 3:37 PM
    ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014838 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2013 - 3:48 PM

installing it for a butchers

owt to make keeping track of everything's a blessing...

I use Plume, hootsuite and all kinds of things for TwitfaceIN - Plume seems nicest at the mo, hootsuite is great for lists in a browser etc.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72365 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2013 - 4:16 PM

Quote: I suspect, very soon, any forum which does not have the Tapatalk facility may see its traffic dwindle somewhat, "mobile-friendly" or not!

or perhaps the other way because you don't have to go to their forum anymore, instead load the app. Ever think that its just a way for someone to make a few quid by providing a proprietary app which they have control over the display of your forum and many others on iphone and android. You could probably just get a mobile friendly theme for your phpBb/vBulletin. When the time is right, they will display their ads and make money from your site's content and members. (whoops, quick google shows it's already happening:

Quote: "This is a promoted post. Tapatalk uses the PostRelease platform to enable brands and content creators to feature their content as a promoted post in relevant communities within Tapatalk. The forum receives compensation for featuring the post. The program enables forum owners to generate revenue by facilitating the discovery of relevancy branded and media content."

It's nothing new either. It's be around for years. Still yet to take over the forum world. Especially, in my opinion, the whole forum platform is dying and making way for Q/As and activity feeds..

No thank you, I think we will continue down the route of creating an all inclusive photography site that is entirely mobile friendly so you don't need an app for just the forums.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 10 Jun 2013 - 4:22 PM
    Carabosse
    10 Jun 2013 - 7:48 PM

You are right, David, in the sense that internet forums are not what they were even 5 years ago.

It is possible that something like Tapatalk might breathe a bit of life into them. But it is undeniable that the likes of Facebook and Twitter are killing them off.

I must admit I didn't think I'd bother about something like Tapatalk but I'm already finding it quite useful.

keith selmes
    10 Jun 2013 - 8:41 PM

Quote: it is undeniable that the likes of Facebook and Twitter are killing them off.

I've not noticed that.
    I do see blogsites that reference one another and have discussion enabled, so they form sort of shifting ad hoc guerilla forums.
    I have also seen some attempts at new special interest forums that have simply withered and died, but others have picked up a following and pottered along nicely, and one is ramping up to the point it dominates my Feedly index.
    The difference I think is in the raison d'etre - there has to be a core function that it provides with frequent updates so it's worth checking back and participating.

Twitter is simply where you tell people about the forum or blog posts, I have been involved in live sessions and discussions there, but it doesn't really lend itself to discussion. It's more of a postit board. It tells you where the news items and discussions really are - like here for example.

I thought G+ groups might be new forums, but they seem more like announcements with comments.
    Oddly, I find people in G+ groups agreeing with each other so much they are more like backslapping cliques than discussion boards. And if anyone starts to disagree, they may well simply be kicked off by the owner. The news can be worth following up, like Twitter, but if people don't put up opposing viewpoints it can feel pretty sterile.

This is my experience anyhow.

Carabosse
    11 Jun 2013 - 1:47 AM

The EPZ forum is a shadow of its former self, in my observation.

The same is true of several other forums I visit - and I'd been a member of some of them for 10-11 years.

Carabosse
    13 Jul 2013 - 4:08 PM

Just coming back on this one because, having been using Tapatalk for all the other forums (non-photography) I use, I find the EPZ forum rather annoying to use on a tablet, which is now my primary means of accessing internet forums.

Which means I spend much less time on here these days. Now some may say "Thank God for that!" Grin However, I feel sure I'm not the only one who is slightly deterred from using this forum because of changing technology and a failure of EPZ to keep up with the times.

If the Team is set against allowing a Tapatalk facility, then I suggest an EPZ Iapp. As Android now has, we are told, 75% of the tablet/phone market, perhaps priority could be given to an Android app, with an iOS one later.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43954 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2013 - 4:23 PM

Quote: Just coming back on this one because, having been using Tapatalk for all the other forums (non-photography) I use, I find the EPZ forum rather annoying to use on a tablet, which is now my primary means of accessing internet forums.

Which means I spend much less time on here these days. Now some may say "Thank God for that!" Grin However, I feel sure I'm not the only one who is slightly deterred from using this forum because of changing technology and a failure of EPZ to keep up with the times.

If the Team is set against allowing a Tapatalk facility, then I suggest an EPZ Iapp. As Android now has, we are told, 75% of the tablet/phone market, perhaps priority could be given to an Android app, with an iOS one later.

CB - send a report flagged for the Web Development team and ask what is in the pipeline.

Malc

Carabosse
    13 Jul 2013 - 5:09 PM

Ok Malc......... done! Smile

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43954 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jul 2013 - 6:33 PM

Quote: Ok Malc......... done! Smile

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply...it is the weekend and even David and the IT team get to go home on a Friday afternoon occasionally.Grin

Malc

Carabosse
    13 Jul 2013 - 6:40 PM

Quote:
    Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply...it is the weekend and even David and the IT team get to go home on a Friday afternoon occasionally.Grin

Malc

Oh surely not? How decadent! Grin

saltireblue
    13 Jul 2013 - 7:25 PM

Quote:
    Oh surely not? How decadent! Grin

Welcome to the 21st century, workers actually get time off every month nowGrin
    (shock, horror)

Last Modified By saltireblue at 13 Jul 2013 - 7:26 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.