Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 1:13 PM

Just wondering what people think about these portraits
What do you like about them or what don't you like about them.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Sep 2011 - 1:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dathersmith
16 Sep 2011 - 1:26 PM

Got to say they don't do it for me Cole but they're typical for that competition.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 1:27 PM

I rather like the first one, the toning, framing etc works for me.
But I don't really get the others.

monstersnowman
16 Sep 2011 - 1:33 PM

I seem to recall seeing a lot of dreadfully miserable characters - ok we dont want a cheesy grin in front of a velvet curtain with the family pet but they seem to have a few tick boxes that mindlessly elevate them to award winning ie. composed very close to one edge or top with space somewhere else that doesnt seem to do much (see the last one) for no real reason other than a cliched contemporary fingers up to the rules, look as miserable and joyless as possible, just stand or sit facing direct into the camera, there usually has to be something a bit creepy or strange, etc etc .. It was exactly what I expected and nothing more.

dathersmith
16 Sep 2011 - 1:40 PM

Yes out of them all there's only the first one that has slight appeal mainly as you say due to the toning and setting. I guess that rules it out as a winner then Wink

franken
franken e2 Member 113054 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 1:43 PM

Version's 1, 2 & 4 are the best of an average collection of images. Version 3 is nothing more than a snapshot in my opinion.

Ken

Jestertheclown
16 Sep 2011 - 1:47 PM

As Monster says above, there's something intrisically wrong with all of them which presumably, is deliberate. If it's not, then someone's deliberately picked the worst five.
Technically, a couple aren't bad but none of them look particuarly well produced. Not to my eyes anyway.
It would be interesting to place them, anonomously, in the "critique gallery" or, better still, the "Tell it" group and see how they fare.

Jester.

User_Removed
16 Sep 2011 - 1:51 PM

Seem very average but I'd want to see some of them much bigger before condemning them.

thewilliam
16 Sep 2011 - 2:00 PM

Some of them need a 250 word artist's statement framed and hung next to the pic!

Coleslaw
16 Sep 2011 - 2:07 PM

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but who is Taylor Wessing?
I googled it and only found it as a law firm.

Jestertheclown
16 Sep 2011 - 2:10 PM

Quote: who is Taylor Wessing?

I wondered that too!

I put my lack of knowledge down to ignorance on my part and had assumed that he (she?) was someone prominent in the world of photography!

keithh
keithh  1022792 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 2:50 PM

Love 'em.

Probably not teuxturized enough for EPZ or........(better not)

Wink

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 2:57 PM

I like them, the 2 I probably most prefer are the 1st one and the girl with the guinea pig, it's just great with the matching hair colour. They are all for me interesting in their simplicity seeming to show the character of the sitter. If that makes sense.

Coleslaw
16 Sep 2011 - 3:16 PM

Interesting....Smile
Come on, Keifo, says it, are you a man or a ...... (better not) TongueWinkSmileGrin

monstersnowman
16 Sep 2011 - 3:23 PM

I think one thing people tend to do is attribute far more to an image just because it is on a platform like this ... had they seen it elsewhere I suspect the adjectives would be strangely different .. interesting and challenging composition replaced with badly composed, simplicity replaced with uninteresting, hair colour matching going from being a basic and perhaps meaningless point to being a reason for qualifying it for an award etc etc .. this isnt a dig at some of the comments I mentioned here as they are reasonable but just an example of how we look to see far more in something because we think we SHOULD as it is in a prestigious award line-up.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.