Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tech Journalist gets his iMac & iPhone hacked & remotely wiped

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    redsnappa
    redsnappa  111901 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Nov 2012 - 9:55 AM

This is a very interesting story of how a Tech Journalist from Wired magazine had his iMac & iPhone hacked.

It's a longish read but persevere and it will probably make you change the way you set up your passwords. especially on Apple devices which can be remotely wiped.

iMac, iPhone Hacking

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Nov 2012 - 9:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2012 - 10:22 AM

That's funny......Smile

According to " Apple " their products are untouchable, Perhaps someone from Apple should inform the hacking fraternity......Grin

On a serious note ( What me Smile Serious...LOL ) Everyone who buys into any kind of tech that involves communication, Be that via the Internet or via the airwaves of mobile phone land, SHOULD be aware that absolutely anything, Can and will become the focal point of the tech savvy " Cybercriminal " If they see a profit in it......!!!

Dial into the mix those who hack or spread viruses, Just for a laugh, Then you can see the need to be very very careful indeed.

So be careful out there folks.....Wink

User_Removed
    11 Nov 2012 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for this Red... Makes for VERY interesting reading - and poses quite a few questions (certainly for me and my 'digital life').

And I speak as someone who, just this Summer, had 1500 'extracted' his Barclaycard by a Spanish Travel Agency for two airline tickets to Oz! All sorted now BUT, I am SOOOOOOO online security -conscious to the point of border-line paranoia!! Wink

(I agree entirely Vince... Wink)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 11 Nov 2012 - 10:35 AM
    lemmy
    lemmy  71776 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Nov 2012 - 11:35 AM

The first thing is that backups are not optional but necessary. They can be set up automatically and if they are to a removable disk which is removed, they cannot be compromised by anyone.

The second is to make an image of your system disk at the same time to the same disk, preferably incremental so that you can go back to a time before your machine was compromised in any way. Failure to do either of these things is lazy and wilful and there aren't any excuses.

The old backup adage holds true. There are two types of computer user. Those who have just lost all their data. And thoise who are just about to.

On the business with his accounts, it points to woeful security by the companies concerned. But in reality, the raison d'etre for social sites like Twitter and Facebook is to spread your personal details around as public knowledge. How many people publish their children's or dog's names on these sites and also use them for their passwords? Would you go to a noticeboard in town and write all the details of your life on it? I'm going on holiday next week, woweee! I'm a burglar thanks for telling me that. I already have your address as you gave it out publicly when you had your birthday party.

Amazon and Apple it is unforgivable, especially Apple who seem utterly careless of user's security. I have an iPad but I've never used The Cloud - I should store my personal information and data, photos and letters.......on a computer to which I only have access by the say so of the world's largest IT company? I don't think so.

I've just set up a completely different email account and two stage sign in for Google. Thanks, redsnappa, highly valuable. I thought I'd done all I could but that article has shown me more I can do,

I must tell my 3,782 bestest friends on Facebook what I've done now Grin

User_Removed
    11 Nov 2012 - 5:39 PM

Quote: I must tell my 3,782 bestest friends on Facebook what I've done now

Grin

User_Removed
    11 Nov 2012 - 7:00 PM

Quote: I must tell my 3,782 bestest friends on Facebook what I've done now

Grin

You might discover that they already know!

GrinSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.