Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

technically poor image but the client loves it!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    trivets12
    trivets12  101151 forum posts
    31 Jan 2014 - 10:17 AM

I shot some evening images at a recent wedding and had to delete quite a few of them, however one, although technically poor, I thought was worth showing them. They love it! Even though I have explained to them that an enlargement will increase the digital noise and the blur, they still want it.
    I'm kind of stuck with trying to decide whether I should have shown it in the first place, or whether the customer is always right?
    Basically, the image is a black and white and the couple are lit from behind with a flash on radio trigger, to silhouette the couple. There was an enormous bare tree behind them and the moon was huge and bright. I shot this image in near darkness and focussing was an absolute bar steward so it was a bit hit and miss. They appear sharp although aren't when it is blown up to 100% but it can be clearly seen, certainly by a photographer, that the moon is blurred due to me not using a tripod.
    What do you think? Should I have dumped the shot or show it to the client and blag what a ghostly but romantic shot it is and how the fuzzy moon adds to the atmosphere??????
    Trudy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jan 2014 - 10:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KathyW
    KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2014 - 10:27 AM

It's a bit late now anyway! They've seen it, they love it, they are obviously not too bothered by the technical short-comings of the photo. Try a bit more noise reduction? maybe take another shot of a big moon and plonk that over the top of the fuzzy one? If they are happy with the shot that's all that matters.
    Would I have shown it to them? Probably, but would have done all I could with it first, and maybe told them that it simply couldn't be enlarged more than 10x8 or whatever.

dark_lord
    dark_lord Critique Team 101464 forum postsdark_lord vcard England125 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2014 - 11:06 AM

Sometimes an image may not be technically perfect but captures the mood or the moment. Think how many news images that could apply to.
    You obviously thought it had some merit otherwise you'd have consigned it to the bin and no-one would have been the wiser.
    However, what happens when you face that dilemma again? Hard to say, depends on the image and its content. As long as there are no more than a handful and not representative of your whole shoot (don't misread that, we've seen your work on here, I write in the general sense Smile) then I don't see the problem.
    For example, I have a shot of the bride and groom leaving in the car, looking through the window as I panned the camera. Not crisp but one of their favourites.
    As photographers we generally like to be as perfect as possible.
    Not easy and probably not too helpful but I do appreciate your predicament.

Last Modified By dark_lord at 31 Jan 2014 - 11:06 AM
    MichaelMelb_AU
    31 Jan 2014 - 11:14 AM

Why worry? Happy viewer/client is all we need...Smile

NEWDIGIT
    NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jan 2014 - 11:16 AM

"The customer is always right"

robthecamman
    31 Jan 2014 - 11:52 AM

nothings perfect Smile

LesleyJ
    LesleyJ  7144 forum posts England
    31 Jan 2014 - 3:48 PM

Its sods law that if you show a blurred image the client will pick it - i dont show them cos I dont want them on a wall and associated with me. The way I see it is if someone has my work on the wall its a chance to get work from their friends and relatives. I dont want people my below par work.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Jan 2014 - 3:57 PM

That's the problem with a lot of us tog were are so brainwashed in to thinking technical aspect is the most import part of photography that we forget it is an art. Maybe because photo magazines and websites are constantly feeding us aperture-depth of field charts, exif data, andk lens sharpness charts etc because it's far easier for magazines and websites to demonstrate technical that art.

Quote: the moon is blurred due to me not using a tripod.

If it bothers you that much get a picture of the moon from a stock agency or the free use section on google or bing images and drop in to your wedding pic using Photoshop.

mikehit
    mikehit  56293 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2014 - 4:01 PM

Quote: That's the problem with a lot of us tog were are so brainwashed in to thinking technical aspect is the most import part of photography that we forget it is an art

+1.
    The only thing that matters is that you have delivered a product the customer loves - and that should be your only aim. Often, technical competence and client satisfaction coincide - but this is one of those wonderful exceptions. Enjoy it.

scottishphototours

No problem.

Came across an SWPP members website the other day with a B&G home page picture, central full length. B&G TOTALLY out of focus, background beyond groom was razor sharp. Clearly technical ability and perfection is now secondary for everyone!

What's another customer (say, friends of the couple) gonna say when they see that shot? - with no emotion invested in the shot, they could see it as technically flawed and that would ruin your chances with them as potential clients.

I'd have deleted it.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2014 - 5:53 PM

Did a profile shoot for a videographer I know - did some stuff outside and then grabbed a coffee and looked through the shots on the laptop... he picked a blurry one...

I'm like "Andy, that's blurry.... can't use that"

He's like "love it like that though - it's captured what I'm after"....

Or something like that...

He preferred the blurry to the sharp... which was wierd.

then he paid me

Snapster
    Snapster e2 Member 2116 forum postsSnapster vcard England
    31 Jan 2014 - 7:57 PM

If they are happy you should be happy.
    Explain how it took great skill and experience to produce the blurred look.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2014 - 8:30 PM

Quote: They appear sharp although aren't when it is blown up to 100%

They are never going to be seen at 100%, Except in a giant poster, Be happy they are happy, Happy customers will almost always recommend someone they are " Happy " with.

Unhappy customers are the ones you need to avoid.....Smile

That said KathyW's suggestion is pretty cool.

Wink

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 91067 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 5:46 PM

Better to get an imperfect image than non at all? If the client likes it, you've achieved what you set out to do and to hell with everybody else.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.