Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Technology or insanity??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sugarbird
    sugarbird  10223 forum posts South Africa
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:28 AM

Recently read an article in a magazine over here in South Africa where it had a list of trends, what is in and what will become redundent in the next few years, number one of what's out was digital cameras because the "fundis" say that most people will have a camera on their mobile phones with a high pixels, so who needs cameras!!! I just cant imagine people asking me "What phone did I take that photograph on?" LOL Is this perhaps going too far, or I think everything is just becoming too easy, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:37 AM

Predicting trends is a risky business. Some are better at it than others, or perhaps they just have more luck than others!

Speaking for myself, I can think of no circumstances under which I would trade in my cameras, digital or otherwise, for a camera phone! I can't envisage a phone with a built in SLR, for one thing, and besides, I prefer to have as little to do with mobile phones as possible.

Smile

Doug

elikag
    elikag  9749 forum posts
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:42 AM

Maybe they meant point-and-shoot cameras? Then I could consider this for a while. But shooting birds (telephoto) or bugs (macro) with a cellphone - doesn't seems likely. Not to mention studio work.

Ilia Kagan.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:42 AM

The prediction is that by 2009, 89% (nice round number!) of mobiles in use will have a built-in camera.

Incidentally, 7Mp camera phones are likely to become available, certainly in the Far East, later this year. that's more megapixels than some have in their DSLRs.

Will they be as good as a DSLR? Not a chance. They will struggle to better a 3Mp compact because of limitations on sensor size and lens design consequential upon a tiny body which must incorporate both phone and camera technology.

BUT.... and it's a big but. These limitations may be overcome one day. You can never say never!!

sugarbird
    sugarbird  10223 forum posts South Africa
    16 Jan 2005 - 10:01 AM

True enough, never say never, I have shut my cell phone up in the cupboard for now, still waiting for a camera with a phone on it LOL Thanks for the interesting feedback.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.