Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Technology or insanity??

sugarbird e2
10 223 South Africa
16 Jan 2005 9:28AM
Recently read an article in a magazine over here in South Africa where it had a list of trends, what is in and what will become redundent in the next few years, number one of what's out was digital cameras because the "fundis" say that most people will have a camera on their mobile phones with a high pixels, so who needs cameras!!! I just cant imagine people asking me "What phone did I take that photograph on?" LOL Is this perhaps going too far, or I think everything is just becoming too easy, any thoughts?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin e2
10 6.0k Scotland
16 Jan 2005 9:37AM
Predicting trends is a risky business. Some are better at it than others, or perhaps they just have more luck than others!

Speaking for myself, I can think of no circumstances under which I would trade in my cameras, digital or otherwise, for a camera phone! I can't envisage a phone with a built in SLR, for one thing, and besides, I prefer to have as little to do with mobile phones as possible.

Smile

Doug
elikag e2
10 749
16 Jan 2005 9:42AM
Maybe they meant point-and-shoot cameras? Then I could consider this for a while. But shooting birds (telephoto) or bugs (macro) with a cellphone - doesn't seems likely. Not to mention studio work.

Ilia Kagan.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Jan 2005 9:42AM
The prediction is that by 2009, 89% (nice round number!) of mobiles in use will have a built-in camera.

Incidentally, 7Mp camera phones are likely to become available, certainly in the Far East, later this year. that's more megapixels than some have in their DSLRs.

Will they be as good as a DSLR? Not a chance. They will struggle to better a 3Mp compact because of limitations on sensor size and lens design consequential upon a tiny body which must incorporate both phone and camera technology.

BUT.... and it's a big but. These limitations may be overcome one day. You can never say never!!
sugarbird e2
10 223 South Africa
16 Jan 2005 10:01AM
True enough, never say never, I have shut my cell phone up in the cupboard for now, still waiting for a camera with a phone on it LOL Thanks for the interesting feedback.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.