Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Teleconverter for Tamron 18-250mm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mano82
    mano82  1 India
    26 May 2013 - 8:25 PM

Hi All,
    I am new to this forum .Please advise on this.
    I am using canon 1100d with Tamron 18-250mm lens & i am planning to buy teleconverter for my Tam 18-250mm lens.
    could you please help on this, which teleconverter will be compatiable (Tamron 1.4x or 2x) for my lens?

Regards
    Mano.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 May 2013 - 8:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 May 2013 - 9:45 AM

The tamron would have poor image quality with an extender and although 500mm sounds attractive the resulting pics may dissapoint . Also you will loose AF .

Your best option is probably cropping and up scaling the image size

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    27 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

I just sold a Sigma 1.4x converter on Ebay, and the buyer came straight back at me complaining that it was incompatible with a similar lens to yours.

Don't even bother trying, even if you can find one to fit result are going to be poor to terrible especially as you will have to manual focus though what will be a pretty gloomy view finder.

icphoto
    icphoto  131436 forum posts England
    27 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Don't bother even trying, the image quality will be awful, the autofocus will not work, some teleconverters will damage the rear element of your lens.

mano82
    mano82  1 India
    27 May 2013 - 5:22 PM

Thanks Smile tpfkapm/cambirder/icphoto.

Is any alternate solution for this bcaz Tamron 18-250mm is not reaching the minimum focal length. using with this lens i cant take the single bird from 20 feet Sad . can you suggest me any other alternate way?

Regards
    Mano.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    27 May 2013 - 5:32 PM

Unfortunately there is no cheap solution, if you are really serious about bird photography you will need to spend a lot of money on a long lens. The cheapest option is probably the Sigma 50-500mm zoom, but even that will set you back 1,000

mano82
    mano82  1 India
    27 May 2013 - 6:12 PM

Thanks for your reply cambirder. Then i will try to save money to buy that lens Smile .

lawbert
    lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 6:21 PM

To add to whats been said a convertor will not work
    There is however the option of getting closer to your subject by using a little fieldcraft...which is food for your required subject Wink
    I quite often use a 100mm lens for bird photography because I know where my subject will beWink
    If you are saving and want a longer lens then for 1000 you wont buy any better than the Canon 400mm f5.6L Usm which is far better than any sigma or tamron variantWink

mano82
    mano82  1 India
    27 May 2013 - 6:57 PM

"There is however the option of getting closer to your subject by using a little fieldcraft...which is food for your required subject
    I quite often use a 100mm lens for bird photography because I know where my subject will be"

Hi lawbert,

I saw your photos. it's very beautiful . Yes it's true & I agree with your above comments Smile. Thanks for the suggestion . can you suggest , shall i sale my lens or using with this lens can i take good snap?

Regards
    Mano.

DenisG
    DenisG  12 England
    6 Jul 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hi Mano. The Canon 400 mentioned above is an excellent lens and used by many. However, you could do a lot worse than trying the Tamron 200-500 lens. I photograph a lot of wildlife but in the UK birds come out as most available. The Tamron has been my most used lens by far for the last 6 years and has taken tens of thousands of photographs through 4 generations of Minolta/Sony cameras.

It is an excellent lens for the money Mano, around (in UK) 2-300 cheaper than the Canon and has the zoom factor if the target is moving around.

Denis.

THUNDYBUM
    THUNDYBUM  529 forum posts England
    9 Jul 2013 - 10:17 PM

ive always wanted to use this kind of lens myself liking wildlife photography.can someone put to bed an old rumor on these lenses please.
    the sigma 50 to 500m with vibration reduction apparently has a really poor quality lele end ie 350 to 500mm .which I think if true is a bit of an design overlook seeing its damn likely that this is the most used range of this lens type.vrs
    the tamron no vr but sharper but not triffick so unless you get back to shutter /to lens lengths basics you image shake makes it an even worse lens to go for.
    so in my frustration I bought neither and hire a Nikon 200 to 400mm lens on the odd days I need it.
    however ive heard good news again about a new 80mm to 400mm Nikon out anyone know reports on this one
    regards thundy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.