Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tell it how it is......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2010 - 8:10 PM

Steve, that sounds like a great idea - maybe start a new group that does that?

with this group I was thinking that we write a series of quick bullet points, because that would distinguish it from the GC.

There's little point in having a group which serves the same function as the CG, is there?

If people want to write lots, then go for it - but I'll just be putting simple bullet points on things I think are wrong, and maybe expand here and there for clarity.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2010 - 8:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2010 - 8:12 PM

Quote: I do think also though, that as Ade's said above, that we need to be sure to keep our more, shall we say "realistic" opinions within the confines of the group.

glad you agree - I've had a few "non group" shots have "group-like" comments. I found them quite amusing really, buy others may get really pissed off if they saw what was said on their own shots Smile

SteveCharles
15 Aug 2010 - 10:25 PM

Quote: maybe start a new group that does that?

Not sure what for, or if that's a genuine or snide comment.

It's your group. I'll just carry on using it as I am, seems to be working for me and most others.

ade_mcfade
15 Aug 2010 - 10:32 PM

Nah - not snide at all, it just seemed that you were after something different, more of a detailed critique area, so I was suggesting you could embrace the Groups thing to create something along those lines.

There's a mix of comments, people do seem to be drifting into more of a detailed critique than the bullet point idea, which is fair enough. Just don't want people to feel obliged to write lots.

It's working quite well though, don't you think?

Think people are picking up some good feedback

Jestertheclown
15 Aug 2010 - 10:43 PM

Quote: It's working quite well though, don't you think?

Think people are picking up some good feedback

Absolutely
and
Absolutely.

SteveCharles
15 Aug 2010 - 10:48 PM

I think it's working very well, it enticed me back to the site. I just want to help make it work usefully, which is probably why I jumped on your comment - apologies. I don't see the need for another group, I think there's room for both short and more detailed comments in this group.

I think when people are more comfortable with the approach, the comments could end up shorter and blunter anyway Wink

ade_mcfade
15 Aug 2010 - 10:56 PM

yeah - that's the risk of the longer comments, you do tend to end up with a more fluffy comment the more you write, so if everyone's doing that, we end up back full circle at comments that smell of the dreaded "nice pic" comment Wink

I'm going to upload a few that I liked,but bombed on EPZ...

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 12:34 AM

I don't want the "nice" comment either,Tell it as it is,for me.

ade_mcfade
16 Aug 2010 - 3:30 PM

Come on kids - get some shots uploaded!

I put a dodgy one up (Perfect 10) to see what reaction it'd get - ouch, the group really does bite Wink

so it's doing its job!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110366 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 4:53 PM

Quote: I don't want the "nice" comment either,Tell it as it is,for me.

Trouble is, unless you put a crap image up you are liable to receive a positive comment - but I suppose so long as its concise and has justification that's OK? Smile

steve_kershaw
16 Aug 2010 - 5:42 PM

Quote: Trouble is, unless you put a crap image up you are liable to receive a positive comment

OK from now on if I like an image I will say so but call the photographer a fat to**er just to keep in the spirit of the threadWink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2010 - 7:54 PM

Quote: Trouble is, unless you put a crap image up you are liable to receive a positive comment

I hope not, I put one up and it got mixed reactions, that`s good in my book and leads to healthy debate.

ade_mcfade
17 Aug 2010 - 12:22 PM

Reading a lot of the critiques, I think people are drifting into the mode of saying

"I don't like this but I don't have any real reasons for this point of view"

I think this is really counter prodictive - it's exactly the same as saying "nice pic", but in reverse. I'm as guilty as anyone, I'm not finger pointing here

I'd far rather people took this approach...

1 - look at the shot
2 - find a flaw/issue and create a bulletpoint style comment
3 - go to 2 until you can't find any more flaws

If you actually like the shot, then maybe say that then move on...

But I can see this may end up descending into a something unpleasant if we don't keep the comments down to objective points about flaws in the shot.

Also... don't take the pi$$ out of sitters in portrait shots... it's the photography we're discussing, not the models Smile

Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound arsey, just wanting this to be a really useful group and to avoid it slipping

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
17 Aug 2010 - 12:49 PM

good post Ade.

Jestertheclown
17 Aug 2010 - 1:41 PM

Quote: Hope that makes sense and doesn't sound arsey

Fine by me Ade.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.