Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tell it how it is......

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 1:44PM
Too much Arsing around if you ask me Ade! Wink

Good points you make all the same

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Aug 2010 2:19PM
.....I'm asking people to arse around less Wink
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 3:23PM
not sure im liking the concept here Ade,
honest and truthfull critique is required by everyone on the site top to bottom level and to be truthfull if it was delivered that way no one would mind. in my opinion it should be totally constructive and delivered with tact and diplomacy, the site tell us so, if its not its worth nothing.

i seen loads of club judges make sweeping statements and not be able to back them up and they look foolish in the final analysis.
i like most people can take any critisism if its honest and meant in good faith or even in someones opinion but if someone says something is **** just to make them self look good i dont think its in any way productive.

it seems to me this is just going to incite argument between people who enjoy it for its own sake.

hope im not pI***ing on someones parade but it looks to me like it could end in tears and i would have thought there was enough of them recently,

scores seem to be bombing and people drifting away already from what i see.
Phil
Jarmara 4 37 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 3:31PM
As a begginner I am finding this group really helpful , I like blunt honest comments. We all have diffrent tastes so somethings might not be our cup of tea, It would be a dull old world if we all had the same taste.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Aug 2010 3:34PM
The concept came from someone else on another thread, Phil

I just facilitated it by promoting the Group idea (then I've been trying to keep a flow of photos going into it to give it some legs, and made suggestions to try to keep people being objective)

Its totally optional to join - you can just ignore its existance and live in blissful ignorance of the group

People who upload a shot know what to expect from the group

If people get offended, just leave the group

also, scores and activity always dips in the summer - people are on holiday.

It's probably the busiest group on the site at the moment, so it's generating interest, the lack of which is the biggest problem with the site.

see how it goes. if people do see it as a chance to be horrible, then I'll probably leave the group
NEWMANP e2
17 Aug 2010 3:38PM
sounds better put that way
Phil
ketch e2
7 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
17 Aug 2010 3:40PM
Good points - but surely this is not a case of either/or it is a case of and/and - in other words yes it is incumbent upon us all that we are honest and sensitive to others in our comments and criticisms - but at the same time a group wishing to vent true feeling with gloves off - still honest and truthful but no longer worried about the flinching recipient or that they might not get a 'clickback' etc can co-exist.

Could turn nasty but so can 'nice light' and 'wow' when they are not reciprocated - I think it is worth a shot - its out of harms way and I don't think it can possibly contribute to attrition/retention rates on EPZ to be honest.
Smile
NEWMANP e2
17 Aug 2010 3:50PM

Quote:but at the same time a group wishing to vent true feeling with gloves off - still honest and truthful but no longer worried about the flinching recipient or that they might not get a 'clickback' etc can co-exist.

its this that worries me, who would want to vent off at another member or at a picture. if its not right they need to know how to fix it, not be attacked for not being up to the mark (in the attackers opinion)
Phil
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Aug 2010 3:52PM
yup - the and/and thing is true.

As a commenter,

"I don't like it"

and

"nice pic"

are the same thing, just a positive and negative version of the same thing anyway

These really are not "telling it how it is"

Listing things like...

Overexposed nose
too much room to left
shadows are too harsh...

are genuine points that someone can address

This is "telling it how it is"

If we can all stick to that latter method, with a bit of elaboration when needed, it'll be a happy place - well a construtive one anyway Wink

EDIT....

Phil - I think (hope) ketch was being tongue-in-cheek there Wink
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
17 Aug 2010 3:53PM

Quote:People who upload a shot know what to expect from the group

I think that sums t up pretty well.

If people come here unwittingly or just out of interest, they're under no obligation to upload anything or make themselves into a target.
There are enough comments posted on here now that anyone just browsing will be left in no doubt as to what they might be letting themselves in for.

I'll second everything ketch has said above as well.

Jester.
User_Removed 11 455 13 United Kingdom
17 Aug 2010 4:33PM

Quote:I don't think it can possibly contribute to attrition/retention rates on EPZ to be honest

As long as the purpose and approach are clear, and posters know what to expect, it shouldn't contribute to the attrition rate - if you don't like it you can leave the group without quitting ePz as a whole.

If it gets some people's interest and gets them more involved in the site, and it has been very active, it could surely contribute to the retention of members - it's something else to interest and involve some people.

There's bound to be some problems and it doesn't answer the need for more reflective and involved critique, but if you want a view of possible problems with a shot you should get it.

There's still the danger that it becomes a list of standard technical 'faults' and restricts creativity rather than encourages, but it probably has its place.
CaptivePhotons 11 1.6k 2 England
17 Aug 2010 6:17PM
Prospective new members to the group should browse the pictures already posted, from that they can see what type of comment to expect, if they are unhappy with the reception they are likely to recieve then they shouldn't post an image.

This group has already invigorated my interest in epz and has made me rethink the way I am taking pictures, I for one am pleased that Ade stated it and continues to promote it and I hope that I can continue to be an active member of the group in its current format.

Well done Ade and thank you.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
18 Aug 2010 12:18AM
Cheers - fingers crossed it can keep ticking over with the right "thick skinned" people participating Wink

one thing I'm seeing is the different emphasis people put on flaws - there's lots of comments on things I'd not even noticed. Makes you look twice Smile
looboss 8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 12:44AM
I have now participated in this group with one critique and one photo!
Will wait to read the result Smile
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 9:47AM

Quote:comments on things I'd not even noticed
I just got one comment, and thats exactly it, so its useful.

Not as brutal as I expected. (so far ...)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.