Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tell it how it is......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 9:53 AM

When did you upload it keith? Give people time - it's not as busy as the main galleries.

What's it a shot of by the way - not sure if I've seen it ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Aug 2010 - 9:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 10:00 AM

Yes my comments about the 'flinching recipient' were very much 'tounge in cheek' - but I do think the 'telling it like it is' group is actually a superbly helpful arena and not only for the poster - I also think in terms of disciplined critique it is an excellent exercise for the viewer too. This is because it is not about 'gloves off' comment but it is about direct, honest and constructive notes about an image.

The viewer knows the boundaries as does the poster and no photographers were intentionally harmed in the making of this group.

One observation, having left a few 'direct' but certainly not brutal comments, I am now a little fearful of posting an image. Recommendation to anyone joing the group, post first and critique your fellow group memembers second, might be a better way to go!!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014805 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 10:15 AM

Maybe that should be a condition of entry to the group - you can't comment till you've added a shot Wink

The group's and "open" one, so it's probably too late to enforce that... and I'm not sure I could be bothered policing it either Wink

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 10:33 AM

Might just be worth adding a recommendation somewhere along the lines of 'for your own comfort and safety you may find it easier to post your first image before you comment on other group users uploads'. Just a thought ...

keith selmes
18 Aug 2010 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Give people time

I meant "just had one comment" as in just now rather than only one Smile
And one comment is any case more useful than 10 empty votes

Quote: Maybe that should be a condition of entry to the group - you can't comment till you've added a shot

Over at photo.sig they recommend 3 crits to one upload as being fair.
In fact they used to ration your uploads according how many crits you'd done.

Rev2
Rev2  4218 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Aug 2010 - 10:29 PM

I've just joined and made my first comments. I give it a week before I get banned at this rate. Wink Sometimes I'm too truthful for my own good. I'll have to dig out a photo so folk can get their own back, shouldn't take long.

Jestertheclown
18 Aug 2010 - 11:51 PM

I joined earlier as well.
I haven't said anything yet. A week? We'll see!

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 8:19 AM

I had a good squizz around the group just now and read a number of comments on a number of different photos and I have come to the conclusion that you all have forgotten how to just LOOK at a photo. Nearly all the comments still focus on technicalities - fussing about lines and technique and photoshop. What about composition and even more simply - does the image work for you? Does it convey something? I admit that it might be my personal preference coming out but I prefer a technically less than perfect shot that evokes something in me over a technically perfect shot that is just bleh.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:21 AM

All? Really? I don't think we're looking at the same set of pictures. Technical shots are getting lots of technical comments, but you'd expect that. Some of the documentary ones have some really good comments on statement of purpose and narrative content.

Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:28 AM

I disagree Xiaoli. My comments have included some technical improvements, but also my emotional responses, and how the 'story' in a photograph can be better conveyed. Why don't you join and provide your style of critique? The group is going really well, and your input could carry it further in the direction it's going.
Geraint

SteveCharles
19 Aug 2010 - 9:36 AM

I think my critiques have been a reasonable mix of the conceptual and the technical so far. I'm often more interested in the concept and purpose, but you still need technique to make it work.

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  5661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:41 AM

well I didn't look at every photo so yes there maybe well be some of the type of comments as you both say. However on the photos I did look at (about 10) the majority of comments were directed at what I would call nitpicky technicalities. I know the entire point is to "tell it like it is" but my question still is - is the point lifeless technical perfection or to take photos that invoke a reaction?

Ok fine if you are taking certain kinds of photos then technical perfection is essentially all there is - but this isn't a forum/website that caters to those kind of photos on the whole. The majority of people here aim for some kind of artistic component to their work which implies an emotive response in the viewer. It has long been my opinion that 'critique' is almost solely confined to 'technical' even if you ask for critique in the critique gallery the replies are focused on what is technically wrong rather than composition or artistic merit.

I still prefer a technically less than perfect shot which I could get nitpicky about but prefer not to over a technically perfect but lifeless / soulless image that says absolutely nothing to me.

ade_mcfade
19 Aug 2010 - 9:45 AM

If you read the "den rules", the initial idea was to write down some bulletpoints on what you think is wrong with the shot.

It's not intended to be a critique group that goes into "feelings" towards a shot, or indepth critique, there are other places for that - the Critique Gallery being the main one. This group is supposed to be quick, punchy and to the point.

Xiaoli - your comments are irrelevent to the group, because what you are assuming about the group's ethos is incorrect. Its a bit like assuming that you can get milk from a bull - it looks a bit like a cow, but when you take a closer look, you realise that you're not going to get any milk... at least not any you'd like to drink Wink

Now if you feel that your vision of what we should be doing has a place on the site, by all means start a group to do that.

zebraboy
zebraboy  10197 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Aug 2010 - 9:47 AM

And the group's ethos in a nutshell is.......

Last Modified By zebraboy at 19 Aug 2010 - 9:47 AM
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 9:53 AM

Agree with you there Steve, you need technique to make shots work and learning good technique is surely a good basis for any photographer. Yes you need a photograph to work for people, but there is nothing wrong with it being technically good as well, that is usually the the thing that either makes or breaks a shot for me.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.