Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tell it how it is......

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:00 AM

Something like this

Quote: This group is not for the faint hearted.

It is for the photographer who wants honest feedback on their images - to know what's "wrong" with them.

The group has a gallery area, post your image in there and you grant permission to the other group members to say what they really think.

You do not have to offer advice if you don't want to

You can be blunt, but not rude or offensive

Ideally make your comments breif and to the point rather than long winded - like a series of bullet points rather than an essay

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Aug 2010 - 10:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
19 Aug 2010 - 10:13 AM

Quote: Something like this

This group is not for the faint hearted.

It is for the photographer who wants honest feedback on their images - to know what's "wrong" with them.

The group has a gallery area, post your image in there and you grant permission to the other group members to say what they really think.

You do not have to offer advice if you don't want to

You can be blunt, but not rude or offensive

Ideally make your comments breif and to the point rather than like StevesWink - like a series of bullet points rather than an essay

zebraboy
zebraboy  10197 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Aug 2010 - 10:18 AM

Why get a bitch slap in your group when the CG can deliver a serious and ultimately more constructive mauling.
What distinguishes 'Tell it like it is' from The CG, only brevity and bluntness.

Xiaoli
Xiaoli  6661 forum posts South Africa14 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:26 AM

Quote: If you read the "den rules", the initial idea was to write down some bulletpoints on what you think is wrong with the shot.

It's not intended to be a critique group that goes into "feelings" towards a shot, or indepth critique, there are other places for that - the Critique Gallery being the main one. This group is supposed to be quick, punchy and to the point.

Xiaoli - your comments are irrelevent to the group, because what you are assuming about the group's ethos is incorrect. Its a bit like assuming that you can get milk from a bull - it looks a bit like a cow, but when you take a closer look, you realise that you're not going to get any milk... at least not any you'd like to drink Wink

Now if you feel that your vision of what we should be doing has a place on the site, by all means start a group to do that.

Firstly I am b****y SICK of the 'go form a group' solution to every comment. If that is going to be the way of the future then I am truly out of here.

Secondly having uploaded images to the critique gallery in the past NEVER has the critique been aimed at any artistic comment and quite frankly as a compact camera user critique about use this lens or that is pretty useless.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 19 Aug 2010 - 10:27 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:28 AM

It seems to me some members are not understanding groups. They are not here to dilute the rest of the site they're here to strengthen it. They are not here to be debated and questioned, the groups are set up for members who want to join, not to say why they think the group is wrong. If you don't like the group idea don't join. If there's something missing in your epz world you can now probably add it with a group.
We've done various polls and 85% are happy with the way the site is, that leaves 15% who want improvements or changes. This is one such requested improvement. If members don't want votes they can now join a group and post photo without votes. If members want a more in-depth discussion about wildlife they can create a group. If members don't want awards they can create an award free zone.
The only thing groups has replaced is the old groups feature that was bundled into members meetings, much like a square peg in a round hole.
It's been mentioned elsewhere that groups will create cliques. Why? Surely it will just allow members to focus their energy in the aspects of the site they enjoy most.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:34 AM

Quote: Secondly having uploaded images to the critique gallery in the past NEVER has the critique been aimed at any artistic comment and quite frankly as a compact camera user critique about use this lens or that is pretty useless.

I cant find any of your pictures uploaded to the critique gallery?

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104042 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:43 AM

Neither can I K, I've just looked. The trouble with asking for an artistic critique is that art is subjective and we all see something different or read something different in an image, but if that is what you want, ask! Take time to explain in the comments what you were trying to achieve and ask if people feel that this has been achieved and explain what camera you are using. People are not generally mind readers.
Personally I like all forms of critique, it's how I've progressed from someone who had an SLR camera that was used in P mode to someone who shoots part time for a living and uses full manual mode.

Last Modified By whipspeed at 19 Aug 2010 - 10:45 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:53 AM

I can't wait till the penny drops with the group concept

I spent most of yesterday trying to explain it in various forums, and why if people didn't like the "tell it how it is" group ethos, they could just ignore it or start something themselves.

Not too sure why I bothered really... well I am... cause I know it's fantastic idea and it's worth banging your head repeatedly against brick walls for.

The key thing...

If you don't like what a group is doing, then do not participate in it

Secondary...

Groups are made by members, not the "team", so if they are flawed in your eyes, it's not the team to blame
The "rules" in a group are set by the group leader (with help from the members of course) so if you don't like what's happening, then its not the group for you - so move on and be happy elsewhere Smile Its as simple as that really.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104042 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
19 Aug 2010 - 10:55 AM

I think it's very good and I've got some good feedback to take forward the series I want to do on hands, so working for me.

Jarmara
Jarmara  437 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Aug 2010 - 2:46 PM

This group is brilliant and I like the straight talking feed back, It is helping me move foward.

Jarmara
Jarmara  437 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 - 11:14 AM

Another thing about this group is that you ALWAYS get a comment that is helpful you might not like it but it is helpful, Yesterday I put a picture in the main gallery I got 8 votes but not a single comment, so I have no idea why people voted for my pictureSad Votes are nice but comments are better Smile

ade_mcfade
25 Aug 2010 - 11:13 AM

Nowthen

activity seems to have fallen off on the group - any thoughts as to why?

Any suggested changes?

Has it softened up a bit and lost interest?

Geraint
Geraint  8715 forum posts Wales34 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2010 - 11:39 AM

Not enough people getting involved. There are 68 members but only about 5 of us are actually contributing. WHich is a shame as it's working well.

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
25 Aug 2010 - 11:42 AM

in my case I'm very busy at the mo, don't have much time for playing its all work work work. Sad

SteveCharles
25 Aug 2010 - 11:52 AM

Sorry, just haven't been able to be as active over the last couple of days.

Here's an idea - for anyone who is also active in the critique (or main) gallery, why not try and identify people who might be interested in receiving 'alternative' critique and invite them to join and upload in this group also?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.