Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Terms for reproduction

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    timages
    timages  7 United Kingdom
    10 Feb 2012 - 3:13 PM

Hi all

I have recently started sending images to a magazine on spec and one has just got back to me ask me for my 'terms for reproduction'. Please could someone explain what they are looking for?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Feb 2012 - 3:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Feb 2012 - 3:16 PM

Basically how much are you going to charge them, so you need to know what they want it for and then go from there.

Don't forget to let the tax man know if you are earning from your photography though, if you sell to a magazine you will need to produce an invoice which could be checked.

timages
    10 Feb 2012 - 5:19 PM

Thanks Whipspeed.

Have replied asking what usage they were hoping for, then I can go from there.

Have done tax returns for the last couple of years as I also sell stock through Alamy.

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 94038 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Feb 2012 - 5:51 PM

Nice one Smile Sometimes people don't realise you need to and can get a bit caught out. If you get stuck for usage, try the NUJ rates page. I had a request last year from a small equestrian magazine in Norway & quoted the going rate from there and that's what they paid, so was very happy.

timages
    11 Feb 2012 - 10:51 AM

I read the NUJ page and one of the pieces of advice they gave was always get the client to quote their rate first. Is that something I should look to do?

Camairish
    Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
    11 Feb 2012 - 9:11 PM

ask me for my 'terms for reproduction'.....

...never on the first date. They need to treat you a bit first surely.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.