Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Test event (or is it group or meet??) - 17/10/2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2011 - 9:57 PM

Hello,

This is the forum topic to discuss the Test event (or is it group or meet??) event scheduled for 17/10/2011.

To view more details regarding this event, click here.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2011 - 9:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64375 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2011 - 10:00 PM

Have to agree. I gave up ages ago.

Oh No! I've joined another flamin' group!!! What is this? You respond to a forum thread and find yourself in a Group whether you want to be or not. Fed up with it.
Sad

Last Modified By SlowSong at 17 Oct 2011 - 10:01 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2011 - 10:29 PM

No point in discussing.

Members' meets were quite a good feature of this site but it has been quite obvious for many months this year that it has been decided to make the use of such a feature as difficult as possible.

The system for creating, uploading, linking, commenting, voting is a total shambles and no indication whether it will ever be sorted.

Tooth
17 Oct 2011 - 10:40 PM

Well I tried to set up an event but it's formed a group and an event with two different pages. Going to have fun here..

OK, to put some background in. (bear with me..) ..

there used to be meets which were organised usually on onlong forum thread, and you had to work your way through pages and pages of banter to find out even where and when the meet was....but they were good crack and it was worth it.

Then a few years ago EPZ did an excellent thing and set up meet pages. You could still have a long forum thread but there was one unified meet page with details of when, where, how members could "attend" the meet (virtually) and then were able to upload photos from the meet after it happened.

Those photos appeared in one's own PF and the main gallery, so they were free to view and enjoy by anyone. The meet photos were linked back to the one meet page, so anyone could look at all the photos uploaded from a meet.

A few years later Groups were introduced. IMO an excellent advance where like-minded individuals could have their specific area of the site to embrace certain genres. Some came and went some are going strong, but all in all a good addition to the site.

THEN, a couple of years ago, some genius decided that since meets were a good thing, and groups were a good thing, why notmake them the same thing...whoopee.

Now when you organise a meet you're actually forming a group, and then having a meet within that group. As Slowsong says you have to join the group to talk about the meet. And if you want to go searching for meets, you have to go and look through a load of groups.

Oh, and the meet page you viewed from the groups page was different from the meet page you viewed by linking from a photo

Now, I think I've worked this out today about the photos. You can upoload a photo directly on the meet/group page, and it can only be seen there..

or you can upload a photo in the gallery and link it to the meet. Then what happens is that two versions of the same photo appear, one on the group page and one in the gallery and on your PF - both with separate comments.So you have to keep track of two versions of the same photo.

So, that's how I see it. So I'd like to know..

a) from members, what does anyone else think, is it just me (I really don't think so)

b) from EPZ Towers...what is the reason for it all, and it possible to give me even one example of why or where or when it's actually a good idea?

c) should we make forum posts the same as groups meets and events, just to really unify everything...

over to you Smile

Stephen

BTW feel free to upload, play around and exxperiment on the page, that's what it's there for..

User_Removed
17 Oct 2011 - 10:48 PM

I like the idea of meets very much.
So I make sure I have one every weekend.
Just me meeting my tripod, camera and lenses.
Then I upload my images to my computer where I critique them.

No arguing, no meetgroupmeet groups, no hassle. Wink
I'm sure that's not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine.
I'm meeting my camera gear in Norfolk this coming weekend. Can't wait. Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Oct 2011 - 10:50 PM
JJGEE
17 Oct 2011 - 10:51 PM

It was even worse, but following several reports / suggestions they did change a few things which has made it slightly better.

The biggest problem is trying to find the Group.

The B&W, 365, Grumpy groups etc. etc. are more active on a regular basis than "meets" so it is not at all easy to find a "meet" group as they get pushed down the list with the latest at the top.

Tooth
17 Oct 2011 - 10:53 PM

but it's not the people doing the grouping and meeting and eventing that are the hassle, it's the way that EPZ has seemed to make it as difficult and un-intuitive as possible to use the site to arrange, coordinate and keep contact re meets...
it's really no surprise that a lot of activity is moving onto the dreaded Basefook and the like

Stephen

(BTW come to an Irish meet Gerry, you'll soon change your ) mind Smile

JJGEE
17 Oct 2011 - 11:03 PM

Quote: but it's not the people doing the grouping and meeting and eventing that are the hassle,

It was not my intention to imply that.
Attempting to convey that because "meets" are now in a Group ( epz decision ) it has made it more difficult for those of us that just want to search for, read, contribute to meets

Quote: it's really no surprise that a lot of activity is moving onto the dreaded Basefook and the like

Wink flickr as well.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 17 Oct 2011 - 11:04 PM
Tooth
17 Oct 2011 - 11:17 PM

Quote: Quote: but it's not the people doing the grouping and meeting and eventing that are the hassle,

It was not my intention to imply that.

No, it was Gerry (laurel) in the post above you

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 8:18 AM

Quote: because "meets" are now in a Group ( epz decision ) it has made it more difficult for those of us that just want to search for, read, contribute to meets

Yup, never understood that. It makes the whole thing incomprehensible as far as I can see.

Under the old system I could simply see each month what events were near me, that was all I wanted.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 18 Oct 2011 - 8:21 AM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 - 9:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

Let me shed some light on where the decision came from to merge groups and meetings together.

When it came the time to upgrade members meetings to the new V5 platform we noticed that quite alot of the features were similar to those of the groups section. Also, many of the upgrades suggested for the groups matched features that were available in the members meetings. So, we put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion that instead of having 2 areas that had very similar features and structure, just put them together.

One of the biggest complaints about ePHOTOzine that we get is that there is far too many features, sections and areas and that things just get lost. When groups was launched we found that it quickly became one of the most popular areas on the site and felt that merging members meetings meant that meetings could benifit from this popularity as well.

Now, we know that it's not exactly been the most successful upgrade and we have plans in the very near future to gain more feedback from the community about the groups/meetings merger to ensure that we can further improve the experience. We do feel there is something in keeping these two areas together, but perhaps we haven't quite found the best way to do this.

We have alot of changes planned in the coming months which are geared to help simplify much of these aspects and we are always open to suggestions. We don't want anyone to think that we aren't listening, because we are. However, there are a few steps and upgrades we must put in place first before we can tackle these problems with groups/meetings.

If you have any questions/comments, feel free to post them here. I have recorded this topic into our upgrade list for reference when we get to enhancing the groups/meetings section.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 18 Oct 2011 - 9:10 AM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 9:59 AM

I'm certain that the changes were made in the right spirit David, but it is pretty obvious that they don't work. I'm with Steve on this, the way the meets page used to work was absolutely spot on. Register to attend a meet, post photos from the meet (anywhere) and link them to the meet and they were available in the gallery, the meet page and your profile, all with a single set of comments, etc. It was clean and easy to use.

My suggestion would be to put the meets functionality back to how it used to be. If you want to have it merged into groups then do it in such a way that, visibly, a meet being in a group is optional. If the option is not taken it is put into a special 'silent' group, to preserve the coding structure without imposing groups on people who don't want them.

I would also make sure that meets are viewable in a separate list to groups, so they don't get lost down at the bottom of a list of active groups.

The meets are one of the things which marks ePz out above other web resources, the functionality behind them needs to be resolved as a matter of priority. I've defended ePz on numerous occasions when changes have been challenged, but this one has been very poorly thought through and insufficiently tested.

Oh and one enhancement I think would be well worthwhile would be the ability to bulk upload shots to a meet and choose which you want adding to the gallery, preserving the 1 per day limit for the gallery.

Ian

JJGEE
18 Oct 2011 - 10:08 AM

Quote: The meets are one of the things which marks ePz out above other web resources, the functionality behind them needs to be resolved as a matter of priority.

But, it is not a priority for the Team.
This has been obvious for many months.

However, now that there appears to be more vociferous adverse comments from "up North", as it were, it will be considered again.

JJGEE
18 Oct 2011 - 10:11 AM

Quote: I have recorded this topic into our upgrade list for reference when we get to enhancing the groups/meetings section.

Have you also done the same for everything related to this topic over the last 6 months, be it forum or reports ?

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72345 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 - 10:12 AM

Quote: But, it is not a priority for the Team.
This has been obvious for many months.

We have obviously given you the wrong impression somewhere down the road. It's one of the biggest priorities on our list of developments. However, certain steps have to be taken first before we can address these issues. Alot of crucial data storage structures and coding needs to be done initially before we can even consider writing the first line of groups/meetings upgrades. Otherwise we are just going to end up having to re-do it all over again.

Trust me, not a day goes by that I think about how to improve the experience for meetings on ePHOTOzine. It's like a soar spot on the site and needs to heal and we are working as quickly as possible so we can address these problems sooner.

Quote: Have you also done the same for everything related to this topic over the last 6 months, be it forum or reports ?

Yep, all the topics, all the reports, all the emails.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 18 Oct 2011 - 10:13 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.