Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Test event (or is it group or meet??) - 17/10/2011

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
18 Oct 2011 - 10:39 AM

Quote: Yup, never understood that. It makes the whole thing incomprehensible as far as I can see.

Under the old system I could simply see each month what events were near me, that was all I wanted

Agreed...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Oct 2011 - 10:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for getting back so soon David, I knew you would. I posted this in a so that it could be discussed openly and the issues surfaced and dealt with, rather than the usual lot of negative comment after every meet with not much done to channel that concern. Hopefully now this thread can be used as a constructive vehicle to discuss the issues/problems/suggested changes.

I agree that meets are one of the main aspects that really make EPZ special (apologies to those who live in areas where they're not practicable) and the more the meet experience can be enanced and unified here the less they'll get fragmented over other sites, as is already beginning to happen.

By the way, the virtual meet page this thread refers to is up there and can be used by anyone who wants to experiment with the way things happen....it certainly cleared up a few of the confusions for me

Stephen

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 3:31 PM

Just spotted another anomaly. When I look at the photos in the Skye meet the following happens:

If I find the meet via the group or the list of recently active groups I only see 2 photos. These are presumably the ones uploaded via the group page.

If I click on the calendar for one of the Skye dates, then select the meet from there, I can see all the photos.

Can I suggest until this is sorted out that a big red notice be put somewhere, advising people to upload meet photos either from their own profile or the main gallery upload link (on the top menu).

Tooth
18 Oct 2011 - 3:41 PM

Because if you look at the URL's Ian, there are two separate pages. To save time, I'll just copy a reply I gave on the comments to the skye meet group page (in case you can't find it Wink )..

From what I can work out, if you upload a pic directly from the group page it shows in the group page - ie mine's and Pete's.

However, if you upload a photo in the gallery and link it to the meet page it shows up in another meet page - look at the diffeent URL's..

So meet has a group page and a meet page depending on where you access it from.

Maybe showing my age, but as they used to say at the start of SOAP..

"confused?...you will be" Smile

Stephen

PS

Quote: Can I suggest until this is sorted out that a big red notice be put somewhere, advising people to upload meet photos either from their own profile or the main gallery upload link (on the top menu).

sounds good to me..

Last Modified By Tooth at 18 Oct 2011 - 3:45 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96216 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 3:57 PM

Hey,

I am really pleased that other members are finding the same issues as us in the South East Meets Group have been experiencing all year.

I will let you carry on "experimenting" finding all the other issues. Sad

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 4:44 PM

I do agree it is hard work to find the meets and I find they linger on the page for ages as well. I set up two fungi meets last October and they still appear as "busy"(- which they aren't/weren't( on the My Groups tab..................

it seems you need to join another group (like this one!) to shunt them off the page!!

Last Modified By Scutter at 18 Oct 2011 - 4:46 PM
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Because if you look at the URL's Ian, there are two separate pages. To save time, I'll just copy a reply I gave on the comments to the skye meet group page (in case you can't find it Wink )..

From what I can work out, if you upload a pic directly from the group page it shows in the group page - ie mine's and Pete's.

However, if you upload a photo in the gallery and link it to the meet page it shows up in another meet page - look at the diffeent URL's..

So meet has a group page and a meet page depending on where you access it from.

Maybe showing my age, but as they used to say at the start of SOAP..

"confused?...you will be" Smile

Stephen

PS

Can I suggest until this is sorted out that a big red notice be put somewhere, advising people to upload meet photos either from their own profile or the main gallery upload link (on the top menu).

sounds good to me..

...............................so as a result of two copies of the picture there are comments and votes on one version and a completely different set of comments and votes when accessed from the main gallery. I thought i was losing it when I commented on a picture yesterday and then couldn't see my comment today (so I have ended commenting on both copies - luckily i said roughly the same thing on both!)

for example:

Scutter > Gallery > Hurst Light

as opposed to

Community > Groups > South East meets > New Forest weekend meet > Hurst Light (which is only accessible by clicking on the Calendar of all things! Intuitive - NOT!!

Another Confused!

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111515 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2011 - 8:41 PM

Also if you have E2 and want a different colour b/g you have to ensure you change the colour in the gallery version and then in the group/meet version.

JJGEE
18 Oct 2011 - 10:18 PM

Quote: so as a result of two copies of the picture there are comments and votes on one version

If I recall correctly an explanation from The Team a few months ago the image seen when viewed from the calendar link is a "virtual" copy of the the one uploaded in the normal way i.e. through the Gallery and linked to the meet.

There are two tabs for each image.... Gallery Comments and Group Comments which can be viewed from whichever direction you access the image.

Not sure how there are two sets of votes though.... this must be something new as previously votes, although showing as 0 where in fact disabled when viewed from the calendar link. Votes cast via the Gallery, which operates os normal were also not visible when viewed from the calendar link.

Additionally there is now a feature whereby images can be directly uploaded into a Group, like Graham's ( thatbloke ) 365 Group which are completely separate to Galeery uploads, that is why uploads into a Group do not affect your one a day upload into the Gallery.
I admit that is quite a good idea, then multiple uploads per day for say a members meet would be possible.

It is totally confusing and not really thought through from a users perspective.

As I said previously the whole thing is a shambles and the epz Team are aware of this and have been for many months but they admitted the upgrade was only partly implemented and we would have to wait for it to all come together in due course.

Surprise, surprise "due course" has not yet arrived Sad

Last Modified By JJGEE at 18 Oct 2011 - 10:24 PM
Tooth
18 Oct 2011 - 10:21 PM

The thing about the fungi groups lingering on the page is that they don't leave mushroom for anything else Smile

Sorry couldn't resist....

In a strange way I'm glad other people are having problems, if you know what I mean..

JJGEE
18 Oct 2011 - 10:26 PM

Quote: In a strange way I'm glad other people are having problems, if you know what I mean..

We have had those problems for at least 6 months so, Yes, it is good that some other members are now finally discovering the issues Wink

Tooth
26 Oct 2011 - 1:17 AM

I've just noticed something - don't know if it was always the case.

My "Towards Uist" shot has two sets of comments, one lot on the "meet calendar" version

and aontherlot, along with votes, on the "portfolio" version

Now, the odd (and maybe useful if it's intentional) thing is that on the portfolio version, the comments from the meet/calendar version appear below the "add a comment" box - so both sets of comments are actually there on the one pic.

Simples Wink Smile

JJGEE
26 Oct 2011 - 8:24 AM

Quote: I've just noticed something - don't know if it was always the case.......

Correct, ever since the "improvement" upgrade ! !

There are two tabs and you have to click on them to see the comments.

If you add a comment from the Gallery it appears on the Gallery tab and likewise for a Group Event, appearing only on that tab.

Quote: Now, the odd.......

I think there is a bug as that feature is only intermittent

Just tried and it did not work, this time !

So, yes as has been mentioned previously not very user friendly and totally confusing.

Quote: Trust me, not a day goes by that I think about how to improve the experience for meetings on ePHOTOzine.

But, hey... do not worry as the Team are thinking about it every day to make the feature better Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 26 Oct 2011 - 8:28 AM
Goggz
Goggz e2 Member 72301 forum postsGoggz vcard Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hmmm, I can't see the logic in the merger that has been made. People meet and people join groups, sometimes they do both but they never do them the way EPZ has done Sad

For me, it is as simple as Meets are separate entities from Groups and you should NOT have to join a group to have a meet or vice versa. Furthermore, your attempt to fuse the two separate pictures issue and the different comments with each by plonking them on two tabs together is not an improvement.

As much better orators have eloquently put it before me on this thread SEPARATE THEM!!!!! PLEASE!!! Don't try and "improve the user experience" by tweaking this manifest cockup. DO THE NECESSARY SURGERY!!!

And yes, I am shouting there! Sad

Tooth
29 Oct 2011 - 3:11 AM

Group....people with the same interests

Meet - an event where people meet each other

People in the same group may never meet

people at the same meet may never be in the same group

Group..

meet...

Simples Wink

Upload a pic...link it to a meet...get comments on it...get votes on it...

Simples........

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.