Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Test YOUR vote

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

u08mcb
u08mcb  105817 forum posts
3 May 2005 - 2:16 AM

Lib dem by a hair's breadth. Bit better than the channel 4 one that had be as 100% conservative based on clicking 1 box...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 May 2005 - 2:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
3 May 2005 - 2:24 AM

Very interesting... the party it suggests I vote for is the one I am thinking of voting for this time (but have never done so before) and in second place is the one I usually vote for.

Seems more in line with expectations than the Channel 4 'system' which doesn't give you appropriate choices in many of the questions so forces an totally 'unatural' response to some of the questions posed

Barrie Smile

rletham
rletham  10890 forum posts United Kingdom
3 May 2005 - 2:25 AM

I agree with you Barrie about the reasons behind peoples choices. At least by knowing what the parties stand for from a policys point of view, we are better informed so we can hold the parties accountable for their lies and not holding to their promises.

I can also understand why people may vote stategically, however if we continued to follow that path, then nothing would really change. I would rather vote and support a candidate whose political policies I believe in, than vote for the lesser of two evils. Even if my candidate didn't win, they would know by the votes that they have support and this might help them to strive harder to gain more backing.

ardbeg77
ardbeg77  101214 forum posts Sao Tome and Principe6 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2005 - 3:05 AM

Rab - that's the view I have come to over the last few weeks. I wil be trying to make my vote a positive one this time.

Steve

rletham
rletham  10890 forum posts United Kingdom
3 May 2005 - 3:14 AM

I've actually never been much of a political animal even though my family are (my brother even run for the Communist party in the late seventies). However, I have gotten completely sick of the people in power not listening to the folks that gave them the job in the first place. As well as casting my vote this time, I am also going to send each of the candidates an email as to why I did or didn't vote for them. Can you imagine if we all did that, how differently the candidates might take their responsabilities?

michaeldt
michaeldt  101201 forum posts
3 May 2005 - 3:44 AM

why bother reading the manifestos when the partys themselves are only gonna chuck them away after the election - even if they get in.

on a serious note though. i did read the Lib Dem manifesto - and agreed with nearly every one of their ideas. they just seem a bit more sensible than all the 'big talk' from the other parties. i tried reading labour's, but got bored. read steven hawkings instead. as for the tories, i didn't even bother - it's blatantly obvious where there priorities are and they don't favour me at all.

at the end of the day, you should vote for the party that, if elected, would suit your interests best. it might sound selfish, but usually, the government always ends up helping everyone but me. and by me i don't just mean me personally, but all of us.

User_Removed
3 May 2005 - 3:47 AM

Quote: at the end of the day, you should vote for the party that, if elected, would suit your interests best. it might sound selfish, but usually, the government always ends up helping everyone but me. and by me i don't just mean me personally, but all of us.

...with a gobbldegook paragraph like that - you ought to be a politician yourself! Grin

Mixpix
Mixpix  101058 forum posts England
3 May 2005 - 3:52 AM

Is it too late for me to stand?

I don't believe any of them but feel physically sick when I listen to smarmy Howard. One week its are you thinking what we're thinking, last week its Tony Blair is a liar. For god sake man the tories supported the war, suppose he has forgotten that and the son of an imiigrant should hardly be trying to put limits on immigration. And before anyone calls me rascist I married a flipping australian, they don't come from anywhere further away than that.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2005 - 3:59 AM

I remember the fiasco that was the last Tory government and have no intention of voting them back in. Most of what Howard is preaching at the moment is totally contrary to what he was doing when Thatcher was in power and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

There are things that Blair and Labour have done/are doing with which I don't agree, but overall I believe life in Britain has been steadily improving over the last 8 years.

Ian

Mixpix
3 May 2005 - 4:03 AM

I personally think half of the Tory parties problems lie in their choices of leader. You need leader with personality, we had that annoying little man with the droning voice Hague? Now we have Mr Smarmy, I forget who the one after Major was. Like her or loathe her Thatcher had personality.

User_Removed
3 May 2005 - 4:07 AM

I agree with Mick. The Tory party leadership lacks charisma and voters like "interesting politicians" and will vote for them.

I wonder how many people who condemn Thatcher and the 'Thatcher Years' are also living in ex-Council Houses and own shares.

Hypocrisy is not exclusive to politicians you know Wink

With regard to life being better in Britain over the last 8 years, there are elements of life that certainly have changed for the better but so much of the fiscal success of the last 8 years was born on a bedrock of changes brought about by previous governments.

Do remember as well, that this 'Labour' government (and I do use the term extremely loosely) has policies so closely aligned to those of the Thatcher government that you would be hard pressed to place a cigarette paper between them.

In that respect, voting for a Blair led government is like voting Tory anyway, (even Tony Blair has said he will be introducing immigration controls using the same points system as the Tories propose yet nobody calls him racist), however I am can see the Labour party lurching back to it's traditional idealogy once Blair has moved on. If left winger Brown becomes PM (we were talking about lack of charisma weren't we), it will not be long before the currently well muzzled lefties in both the party and the unions become more influential in the party again (attend a union conference and it is like going back in time) and having lived through the very grim days of the Wilson years (was there ever such a charasmatic but totally inept Prime Minister?) and the winter of discontent (Callaghan - a nice man but a PM that was totally impotent) - it is not something I for one look forward to

Barrie

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2005 - 4:13 AM

Quote: I wonder how many people who condemn Thatcher and the 'Thatcher Years' are also living in ex-Council Houses and own shares.

1 - Council houses were sold off to convince people that the dream of everybody owning their own homes was achievable and to reduce public spending. The trouble is that in reality not everybody can afford to own their own homes and we now have an acute shortage of cheap housing. People who would previously have gone into council accommodation are forced to live at home or in debt.

2 - The sale of essential public services and utilities was sweetened by convincing millions of small shareholders they would be able to make money from buying in. Any paltry amounts they may have made have been more than swallowed up in increased charges to cover the necessary profit margins and fat cat salaries. One of the most immoral things the Tories did was to privatise that which we need for life itself!

Ian

evap
evap  9223 forum posts England
3 May 2005 - 4:52 AM

Quote: Now we have Mr Smarmy, I forget who the one after Major was.

IDS I think is the one you are missing.

Quote: You need leader with personality

I agree, but the labour party take it to the next level. Yes you need a leader who comes across well and doesn't sound patronizing etc... BUT what the Labour party did in 97 really pis$ed me off.

Reinventing themselves and putting media savvy Blair at the centre of it. Throw in as much spin and pop culture as the media would allow them. Remind the public of how 'bad' the lat 16 years were - wham bam you have a huge majority.

However I think the party is over, everyone has gone home (sick of listening to D:Ream). Blair had to make some proper decisions (War, Terrorism) and the spin men don't like that. I think its about time politics got back to policy and leave the media men to sell washing powder again!

Simon

Mixpix
3 May 2005 - 4:55 AM

Quite agree, I never said I'm a labour supporter though, but realistically its one or the other out of them two and I know which one I'd prefer.

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
3 May 2005 - 6:17 AM

Tried both links. Came up UKIP on both! I don't have a UKIP candidate where I'm voting. Even if I did vote for them, they wouldn't get in near me!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.