Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Texturizing Photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 1:10 PM

I remember Cheryl and I talked about this a long while ago - "Chuck any texture photos on yours, and it will become much better instantly."
Texturizing photos is getting more and more common.
Portraits, still life are the norm these days.
i.e Kitsch, Becka, Shawry excel in the portrait department. MandyD and Chase excel in the still life department.
Do things need to be texturized to make it better (of course good PS skill helps)?
So, what your view?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Apr 2010 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 1:25 PM

Why not if it works with the image.....!

Quote: Do things need to be texturized to make it better

Does it make something better, Or does it just add a different dimension, Or does it cover-up a duff exposure/Grotty backdrop.

Done well anything can work....Wink

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 1:30 PM

Quote: Does it make something better, Or does it just add a different dimension, Or does it cover-up a duff exposure/Grotty backdrop

indeed..... does it.... WinkTongueGrinSmile

Fishnet
Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 1:37 PM

Like everything, it depends on how well it's done, it's needs to be just the right amount for that photo.

I'm currently experimenting with textures at the moment, my last 3 gallery uploads both used textures and I've been working on some more this morning, I've never used them before so I'm still at the experimental stage.

I'm a member of a few texture groups on Flickr and there are some amazing ones on there, also these websites are very good.

Shadowhouse Creations

Flypaper Textures

Last Modified By Fishnet at 26 Apr 2010 - 1:37 PM
Coleslaw
26 Apr 2010 - 1:39 PM

Thanks Anna.
Excellent link for those who want to try.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 2:14 PM

Quote: Do things need to be texturized to make it better (of course good PS skill helps)?
So, what your view?

I had a go at it and its quite interesting seeing how you transform an image with a textured layer.

Someone likes textures - see if you can see what these textured images have in common...

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1530921

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1531760

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1529929

It's actually an incredibly simple way of "disguising" a poor photo - it takes the eye away from the issues and also if you've got the exposure incredibly wrong, you can use a texture to fill in the gaps.

I do wonder if it's a passing phase or something that's here to stay.

I'd guess it'll be like so many fads - the masses will have their fun for a while, then they'll get bored and move on leaving the few who really embrace it to find a niche. Maybe like HDR seems to be going now (there's far less now than 12 months ago).

Here's a textured shot of mine... I got the texture from a concrete bridge in leeds

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 26 Apr 2010 - 2:19 PM
Fishnet
26 Apr 2010 - 2:23 PM

There's a couple of featured photographers here that use textures to great effect.

Fishnet
26 Apr 2010 - 2:28 PM

The 3 I've put up so far have been very subtle, but I tried one last night with some heavier texturing, I'm still experimenting so I'm not sure if it works or not, I suppose it's one of those either love it or hate it things.

dsc-0111bw.jpg

ade_mcfade
26 Apr 2010 - 2:43 PM

Forget the link - here's the shot...

it's a deliberate attempt to get that gritty look that seems to populate the award galleries these days.

I've not actually de-saturated it, there wasn't much colour that day and the texture got rid of a lot of colour.

Wasn't at all popular on this site though - amassing a huge 11 slices of love

18097-1268775484.jpg

JamesBurns
26 Apr 2010 - 2:54 PM

Quote: I do wonder if it's a passing phase or something that's here to stay.

I'd guess it'll be like so many fads - the masses will have their fun for a while, then they'll get bored and move on leaving the few who really embrace it to find a niche...

That might figure.

The wedding & portrait crowd have been doing it for years though, so it was inevitable that it would filter down eventually. Off the top of my head, Jesh de Rox, Red Leaf Studios and The Boutwells have been using it in commercial photography for a while now. Other photographers also seem to make a pretty decent living out of running workshops and selling texture packs.

I've done it a few times, but it takes a specific image and a lot of dicking about with masks if you want it to look half decent. It's like anything else - it can be an enhancement to an already good image, or overdone to hide obvious flaws.

ade_mcfade
26 Apr 2010 - 3:08 PM

Talking Bridal, I think the case in point is the most recent EC (http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1530921)

RedEyes has posted a few versions for us to look at - mono, toned x-processed, original and textured. All things that are popular at the moment.

First off - it's a great shot, well done and it gets my vote. Any discussion here is about the processing techniques, not on the shot or execution

I think the mono shot is the one I'd be most likely to have produced - I think that's a classic, timeless look and always suits bridal shots (though its amazing how many insist on colour shots at previews!). I love the cool tones of the coloured one, resisted temptation to get that "warm" look that ends up with cream wedding dresses! Cross processed look - yeah quirky and pretty cool.

but the texture....

its a good texture - I like it - like paint peeling off an old door.

But does it "enhance" the shot?
Would it have been awarded so highly were it just the mono?

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 3:51 PM

Quote: It's actually an incredibly simple way of "disguising" a poor photo - it takes the eye away from the issues and also if you've got the exposure incredibly wrong, you can use a texture to fill in the gaps.

In the case of these 3 examples Ade I have to disagree with you, although with some images I think your right.

Personally, I think it is just an effect that is in fashion right now. Personally, when its well done I like the effect, although it does on occasion make the work feel more like an illustration than a photgraph on occasions (see Chase's excellent still life work for an example). This isn't a criticism - just a personal observation.

ade_mcfade
26 Apr 2010 - 3:54 PM

Quote:
In the case of these 3 examples Ade I have to disagree with you, although with some images I think your right.

Those 3 examples were to illustrate a different point Wink

Quote: Personally, I think it is just an effect that is in fashion right now. Personally, when its well done I like the effect, although it does on occasion make the work feel more like an illustration than a photgraph on occasions

Just re-read that... would you agree that what you've said there could apply to "anything" in photography? Smile

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 26 Apr 2010 - 3:56 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 4:07 PM

No. Although I think I see your point. To me there is a difference bewteen an illustration and a photograph, although I accept a photograph can be used as an illustration or within it.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2010 - 4:08 PM

For one of the great exponents of this technique take a look at the work of Joey Lawrence a 19 yo Canadian. Not all his stuff uses textures but a lot does, very subtle as well too. Doesn't it just get to you when someone so young has such talent Wink, also check out Andrejez Dragen ( hope I've spelt it right on phone so not easy to check). Also Ben Goosens ( again very subtle use of textures) but on of the best at true digital photagraphic art.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.