Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Thank god we have come out of the dark ages

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
16 Jun 2012 2:03PM
Whatever you do, don't resurrect the 9/11 conspiracy thread!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Jun 2012 2:04PM
RT (formerly Russia Today) is sometimes worth a look for explanations which are far removed from the Western 'official' view.
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 2:21PM

Quote:Whatever you do, don't resurrect the 9/11 conspiracy thread!

Officialdom created it with dishonesty and cover ups, nothing new there.

Quote:Western 'official' view.

That should be enough to arouse suspicion in itself Wink
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 3:37PM

Quote:But in a one-to-one situation, without an audience to entertain, I still suspect most would be gobsmacked.

But if they had training in the techniques of cold/hot reading before hand I bet they would be somewhat less gobsmacked Wink
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 3:55PM

No! I'm sure the US Administration wants it that way, too!
A fair number of conspiracy theorists may be silly and wrong-headed but I refuse to condemn all of them out of hand because the US Administration tars them all with the same brush while the mainstream media (including the BBC) creates a smear campaign. Smearing all conspiracy theorists as freaks is a very useful weapon used by the Administration and generally kow-towing media because they can get away with having to answer less of the numerous questions that manifestly have not been answered.
Of course, Zatoichi is absolutely correct when he says:
Quote:Officialdom created it with dishonesty and cover ups, nothing new there.

I also see that Zat also understands my use of apostrophes in the use of the word 'official'. Wink
Oh, it really is a nasty, stupid world out there - there are just too many people on the planet - 7 billion, for god's sake - many who are evil and/or a complete waste of space. SadTongue
Meanwhile back on the topic of 'Thank god we have come out of the Dark Ages', I have to say that I'm not at all sure we have come out of the Dark Ages.
We still rarely learn from History. Of course, our modern witches are in the form of radical left wing 'trouble-makers'. Wink
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
16 Jun 2012 4:12PM

You apparently don't remember the thread that I'm referring to.
I think that it ran to more pages than 'Gone with the Wind!'
Zatoichi 5 707 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 4:30PM

Quote:You apparently don't remember the thread that I'm referring to.

I think I do. There were indeed many pages with the same unanswered questions Wink

Quote: Of course, our modern witches are in the form of radical left wing 'trouble-makers'. Wink

Basically any dissenters Wink Witches or 'terrorists', whats the difference these days? They are/were both tortured and imprisoned.

Quote: I have to say that I'm not at all sure we have come out of the Dark Ages.

Absolutely, just a change of names and different agenda.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 4:32PM

You apparently don't remember the thread that I'm referring to.

Yes, I seem to remember that...a topic like that is bound to go on and on even longer that "Does God Exist" threads! Wink
I think I just wanted an excuse to vent my anger and disgust at the BBC and US and UK governments. Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Jun 2012 6:44PM

Quote:But if they had training in the techniques of cold/hot reading before hand I bet they would be somewhat less gobsmacked

Easy to say that if one is not in the situation. Just imagine, someone very close to you has died suddenly and tragically.... say an accident or, worse, homicide. Your world will be turned upside down. And imagine your frame of mind.

In that sort of situation, if a psychic comes out with a statement about something you imagined was only known to you and the dear departed you might (just might) be inclined to take note of whatever else the psychic has to say.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 7:03PM

Quote:you might (just might) be inclined to take note of whatever else the psychic has to say.

Indeed you would and many do. If they got one thing right you would tend to forget the 30 things they didn't or the way you helped them out of desperation or the way they got to it by suggestion and reading your body language.

It's extremely easy to be taken in by this stuff and it's a shame that the techniques used arn't more well known so that people can protect themselves.
I don't believe that most of the small time mediums out there are frauds, most are fooling themselves as much as they are fooling their clients.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Jun 2012 7:14PM
You can buy books on cold reading, e.g. this one . Wiki article here .
16 Jun 2012 8:11PM
I watched a programme that filmed a cold reading. At the end the person believed the reading had gone amazingly and that the medium was pretty much bang on. With facts they couldn't have known. It was laughable because the whole reading was riddled with false statements, lots of leading and information given by the person to the medium. The correct things came from being read by the medium in their responses, things they said and guesswork. The vast majority of things said by the medium were wrong and any avenues gone down by the medium were backed out of when the reading showed the medium it was not right. The amazing thing was that the person having the reading did not remember any of the wrong suggestions or how they gave things away. They only remembered the good bits and thought it was an excellent reading when anyone watching could see how very bad it was. Added to that, in re-telling the quality of the reading to friends the person will probably, without even realising, embellish the story to make their account more astounding and they will probably recall things as being even better themselves over time .... All from a terrible piece of cold reading from someone with no powers.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Jun 2012 8:31PM
Lol not as bad as the hanging of William Joyce in 1946 for treason, he wasn`t even British.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
16 Jun 2012 8:37PM

Quote:Lol not as bad as the hanging of William Joyce in 1946 for treason, he wasn`t even British.

or Sir Roger Casement, who after the 1916 uprising in Ireland, was hanged after they changed the law so they could (hang him that is)
16 Jun 2012 8:59PM

Quote: (psychics) how do you prove they are frauds?

Same way that we prove that God is - but that's another thread! Wink

Quote:Some people believe that fairies exist...

I have read that they are to do with some sort of ring Smile

But that's another story! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.