Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thanks EphotoZine!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    cheddar-caveman
    18 Jan 2011 - 7:57 AM

Just a quick "thank you" to the site. Sold my 40D almost immediately. One happy new owner and one happy seller.

The advantage of selling here rather than Ebay, where I originally posted it, is that I didn't have to pay "sellers fees" in excess of 10% plus PayPal fees and I could therefore reduce the price to the buyer by this amount.Two happy peopleGrin

OK so I.ve now got my Canon 7D GrinGrin and need some good tuition, it's certainly more "complicated" than the 40D. Any good training aids out there (I am looking on the net but thought it would be useful to find someone who has actually use such info).

Last Modified By cheddar-caveman at 18 Jan 2011 - 8:00 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 Jan 2011 - 7:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sitan1
    sitan1  6476 forum posts United Kingdom
    18 Jan 2011 - 8:34 AM

good luck with the 7D it looks like one mean piece of kit you lucky thing.

steve_eb
    steve_eb e2 Member 6345 forum postssteve_eb vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2011 - 9:10 AM

You have bought a great piece of kit there Michael,

I have had mine for about 8-10 months now and totally love it, lots of usefull bits and bobs easy to access too, so if I can help in any way ask away or pm me,
    My poor 40d is now an underused back up although it's off out soon housing the macro just in case...with the 150-500 on th 7d

You will love this camera I am sure, have fun.

Steve

cheddar-caveman
    18 Jan 2011 - 5:49 PM

Yes it certainly is a nice thing. However, when I took a couple of test shots, the first as far as I'm concerned on this camera, the images came up numbered 101-10036/37?? Does that mean it's already taken 1036 shots???

I would also like a tutorial manual of some sort. Any recommendations gents?

alanworland
    18 Jan 2011 - 10:22 PM

Congrates, you will love it! I progressed from the 40D to the 7D but kept the 40 as it is such a nice camera to use and gives good results. However photo with the new beast are superb and I find that images can be quite drastically cropped and still be dammned good!
    Spend a bit of time adjusting the focus for your lenses, you will find particularly with wide apertures focus can be 'tuned' to be exactly where you want it.
    High ISO is very impressive too, I used to try and keep this down to minimise noise but found the new camera copes very well.
    I bought 'The Digital Field Guide' by Charlotte Lowrie and found it well laid out and informative - it doesn't tell you any more than the manual but I found it sunk in better!
    Strange about the file number, mine started at 1?
    Enjoy!

Last Modified By alanworland at 18 Jan 2011 - 10:24 PM
    strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2011 - 11:02 PM

Did you stick in a card straight from your 40D without re-formatting it first. If yes then that is the reason, it has picked up where the 40D left off.

you can reset the counter.

cheddar-caveman
    19 Jan 2011 - 8:26 AM

Yes but I reformatted it immediately so that should have erased all data/memory??

ejtumman
    ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
    19 Jan 2011 - 9:16 AM

There is a setting in one of the menu's that resets the counter.

I had a mass panic after I sent one of my bodies for a service, and it came back with the counter having shot up by over 10,000 images. It turned out that they use the same CF card to check things and using that reset the cameras counter.

If you can't find it in the menu options during the day, I'll have a look on my camera when I get in tonight, as I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how to do it.

Formatting the CF card is not enough to correct it.

E

ejtumman
    ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
    19 Jan 2011 - 5:04 PM

This is how to find it on the 40D, and I would imagine the 7D is similar….

• In the menu section, go to the Functional menus (yellow), and find the one called “File Numbering”
    • Select it and you should see 3 options. ( I’m guessing it’s currently set to continuous?)
    • Choose Manual reset, and exit the menu.
    • Take a few pics, and check the numbering.
    • If it’s correct (reset), keep it on that setting and take some pics using all your other CF cards.
    • Once they have all been done, change it back to Continuous.

Hope that helps Smile

E

cheddar-caveman
    19 Jan 2011 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for that ej.I'll have a look at that tomorrow but my problem is that as a "new" camear out of the box, surely the counter should read 0000 not 0038 as mine did, or worse 1038!!

cuffit
    cuffit  7172 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2011 - 1:52 PM

You asked about training aids for the Canon 7D. I also own a 7D and love it; I bought a Canon 7D instruction DVD from 'Experience Seminars', a Canon-oriented organization based near Huntingdon although they do courses all over the shop. I learned a great deal of additional detail about the focussing system from that. It is quite a fews hours long and covers every aspect of the camera, well produced and good quality in my opinion. They also do a day course on the 7D and I have done a few of those as well (not on the 7D though) - this isn't meant to be an advert by the way, I have no connection with them, but I have found them useful and enjoyable as Canon is the only brand and everything is taught around the kit and techniques. I know that it is possible to learn from experience, handbooks and without such courses but commiting to the day worked for me. Hope this helps, the website is: www.experience-seminars.co.uk. Chris

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Jan 2011 - 2:40 PM

Quote: Thanks for that ej.I'll have a look at that tomorrow but my problem is that as a "new" camear out of the box, surely the counter should read 0000 not 0038 as mine did, or worse 1038!!

It depends for example the dealer where I bought mine opened the box, put in a new battery and stuck a lens on to check it worked. OK we did it together but it is peace of mind that it works as nothing worse than getting home and its bust. And it is still possible that picked up info from your card. 38 shots are nothing so why worry.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.