Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

That old chestnut again... Is this reasonable?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SamLS
    SamLS  8232 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Nov 2007 - 1:03 PM

Hi Guys

Yes I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but an opinion please.

I'm doing some portrait shots for someone which includes taking my portable studio to their house.

I'm planing on charging: 25 for the session, then prints:
    6 x 4 at 4.50, 6 x 7 at 5.50 and 8 x 10 at 10.

Does this sound reasonable? Looking at the items in isolation that sounds fair to me but I know they'll probably want to order 10 - 15 prints so the price will add up. I don't want to loose out but also don't want to kill the golden goose.

What do you think?

Sam

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Nov 2007 - 1:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BigCol
    BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Nov 2007 - 2:11 PM

All depends on what value you, and they, put on your work so what may seem reasonable to one may be totally unreasonable to another.
    I don't know about killing the golden goose but with those prices you're not going to be making much of a living, if thats's your intention.

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Nov 2007 - 2:56 PM

As Col says above, you need to decide the value of your work, is it a favour for friend / family ? in which case lower charges may be justified.

At worst case 10 prints at 4.50ea + 25 for the session = 70, would you be happy with that for the time and effort required ?

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 25 Nov 2007 - 2:57 PM
    User_Removed
    25 Nov 2007 - 5:10 PM

My prices are. 30 for the portrait session, this price covers time for the shoot and manipulating photos. On top of that i charge 35 for a 8x6 print in cheap 5 frame. I charge 55 for a 10x8 in 5 frame. I aim to make at least 200 per session but on the odd occasion i make over 400. If i do a job for a freind they get the portait session for free and get 5 of each framed print. I think you are underpriced for a one of job. james

Hanners
    Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Nov 2007 - 6:20 PM

Well I charge 30:00 for the session and print prices range from 14:99 framed 6x4 to 39:99 framed 18x12 and I DO NOT use cheep tacky crap frames either and I can't knock 'em out quick enough, but it's each to their own....

peter_davey
    26 Nov 2007 - 1:17 PM

I charge 65 for my time, then prints at 6x4 - 5 5x7 - 8 and 10 x 8 - 15.
    They get a water marked preview cd as well.

No frames - leave that to the customer. Don't have my own studio facility - yet - so mine is all in the clients home - so is more time consuming.

Last Modified By peter_davey at 26 Nov 2007 - 1:18 PM
    BoudoirByHelen
    26 Nov 2007 - 5:37 PM

25 does that even cover your petrol?
    Most I know including myself charge upwards of 65 -85 or more and if they charge less they make the money on the prints.

Really I'd rather you made more than make us look expensive lol

ajmills
    ajmills  12 United Kingdom
    26 Nov 2007 - 6:19 PM

I don't do this sort of thing, yet, but I have been looking into it.

Basically, it depends on whether you are travelling to them, or them to you. Then whether or not they are friends, acquaintances, etc.

In my research (yay for Google), if they come to you, the average price is something like 30 for the sitting (which is about an hour), with them then paying for whatever images they decide they want. This is "cheaper" as you will already have your studio set up, or is easy to set up.

If you go to them, you should charge more - not only do you have to cover travelling costs such as petrol and wear & tear to your car, but the time taken to get to the location, then home again and the time required to load and unload your car (twice!), and set up the studio on location - which may also involve time rearranging their living room to make space. The quotes of 65 to 85 as mentioned above is more realistic for this...

Please also note that your insurance may not cover your equipment away from your home. So that's an extra expense that has to be allowed for.

matt5791
    matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2007 - 4:50 PM

You have to add up ALL the time you are taking and divide it by the amount you charge less materials and other expenses. Then you will get an idea of what your hourly rate is and whether you can afford to do it.

Also, remember, if something goes wrong and you are not charging enough, will you be able to afford to sort it out?

I'm shooting a family portrait session on 29 December and will charge 250 + prints at my standard prices (eg 8X10 12.95) This is more than usual because I am sacrificing some of my holiday time with friends and family. It has to be worth the effort.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.