Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

That wasn't what I was expecting!

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Aug 2012 1:09PM
I'm just listening to a CD by Bjork titled The Music from Drawing Restrain 9. I've always liked Bjork and find her experimental approach to music surreal, but highly interesting... this album is, in the words Paul Carf, a bag o' *****.

Often musicians stick with a style that you can trust so you buy something and it's generally in a similar vein. But some like to move around in diverse styles. Which albums have you bought that were either remarkably better or worse than what you were expecting.

I'll list a few
Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed - off the scales for worse
Mutations by Beck - so much better
Low by David Bowie - different and very likeable (actually Bowie has arguably been one of the most diverse artists of our music history.)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
28 Aug 2012 1:23PM
Anything by Macca after Wings was cr@p and Elton John hasn't done anything decent since the 80's.

Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell was good, but nothing after.

Agree with you about Bowie.

Malc
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 1:30PM
I often found the Beatle's new, later albums difficult first time round which may sound daft today. However, a lot of what they created had never been heard before and took some listening to. Jack White keeps me on my toes these days. I haven't listened to Music from Drawing Restraint 9 but being based on Japanese music it's know wonder it's "awkward".
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 1:32PM
Agreed, McCartney on his own Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2012 1:42PM
David Gilmour`s first solo album, I still think its his best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AW_6D9ieXs

And the stranglers, never quite the same after Hugh Cornwell left the band.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Aug 2012 1:48PM

Quote:David Gilmour`s first solo album, I still think its his best.

I agree very good album, but it's kind of same as all the rest of his albums...a kind of style...also not far removed from Pink Floyd's "formula" so you're safe. Now if you're a modern Floyd fan and dipped into the back catalogue you may be a bit disgruntled with something like Atom Heart Mother.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2012 2:01PM

Quote:Now if you're a modern Floyd fan and dipped into the back catalogue you may be a bit disgruntled with something like Atom Heart Mother

Yes, I was never keen on that album myself.

I took the wife to a Blondie concert, a double wamy I thought at the time as Hugh Cornwell was the supporting act.

Blondie did all her old hits and Hugh Cornwall did acoustic versions of a lot of the old strangler tunes, for me the magic had gone.

Its not surprising Bowie does not like playing his old stuff.

Robert Plants another that produced a lot of solo stuff.

His first Solo, had a lot of the zep magic and was probably his best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QibiJtk10s8
Mayfly 9 485 2 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 2:20PM
Fever Ray by Fever Ray (Debut Album) this was their first album but a real hit for me, Check out the track Triangle walks
Black Sands by Bonobo another hit
Kid A by Radiohead was worse than expected
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2012 2:21PM
"The Honey Drippers"

Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, great album, probably rare now, still have mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe0ZmhnaBZA&feature=related
Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 2:56PM

Quote:"The Honey Drippers"

Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, great album, probably rare now, still have mine.

very rare if you have the 10in vinyl version ! Sold mine for a small fortune Grin
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 3:00PM
If you are a "modern" Floyd fan, this is what you need: Wink

457156-10150957182425992-2089091817-o.jpg

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
28 Aug 2012 3:12PM

Quote:very rare if you have the 10in vinyl version ! Sold mine for a small fortune

Yep and when I bought it I thought I`d been ripped off, side one has the same sticker as side two, guess it makes it rarer Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Aug 2012 3:17PM

Quote:If you are a "modern" Floyd fan, this is what you need:

The left hand stack is all the older stuff of which possibly only Meddle would appeal to the person who likes more recent Pink Floyd. They may wonder what had happened when playing Ummagumma. I've now stuck Piper at the Gates of Dawn on ...and enjoying a Barratt moment
oldblokeh 3 920 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2012 3:26PM
Unaccustomed as I am to name-dropping, I went to school with a guy who was later part of Hipgnosis and shot some of the photos on the animals cover. He died nearly two years ago. My abiding memory was seeing him (at school) clutching a copy of Atom Heart Mother when it was first released.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
28 Aug 2012 3:29PM
Would that be Peter Christopherson?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.