Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The "Special Relationship"

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

filmforever
25 May 2011 - 8:26 AM

President Obama is visiting, and sure enough our politicians start waxing lyrical over that tired old phrase; "the Special Relationship". If any phrase deserved to be quietly laid to rest, it is surely this one?

The Americans are relentless is their attempts to extradite Gary McKinnon, the asburgers syndrome victim, who allegedly hacked into their government computers in search of evidence re. UFO's. Yet when we request their military personnel to attend a coroner's inquest, to give evidence into the killing of our soldiers in "friendly fire" incidents in Iraq or Afghanistan, their reaction is....."No way".

Sounds like a "one way relationship" to me. As someone once commented: "America & Britain, two nations divided by a common language".

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 May 2011 - 8:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 8:27 AM

I heard us refered to 'as being like the ex-girlfriend who is still clinging and won't let go.'

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 8:49 AM

It is a special relationship as far as the American government are concerned. They know they can rely on us to help them invade pretty much any country they want.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 8:51 AM

What's this got to do with photography????

Personally i can't stand the dumb idiots who think they rule the earth.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014125 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 8:56 AM

Quote: What's this got to do with photography????

nothing - thats why its in the off-topic section.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 9:00 AM

fair enough didn't see that as it was plastered over the home page as a new topic.

hornchurch
25 May 2011 - 9:10 AM

the special relationship Has been around since world war 2, the americans instruct the british prime ministers what to do and they do it....... of course this is nothing to do with tony blair being a non executive director of The american bank Citi bank and pocketing 500k a year, or Euan blair tones son now having a top job at a american bank..... nothing to do with cherie blair and tony doing tour Of america pocketing millions along the way... this was all just a coincidence....

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 9:31 AM

Quote: Personally i can't stand the dumb idiots who think they rule the earth.

So which particular nation or religion are you talking about there? Tongue

Don't make the common mistake of tarring all Americans with the same brush. I know from personal experience that there are many over there who are dead against the US foreign policy. However in reality, just like us, they have little say in the matter.

Ian

filmforever
25 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
Don't make the common mistake of tarring all Americans with the same brush. I know from personal experience that there are many over there who are dead against the US foreign policy. However in reality, just like us, they have little say in the matter.
Ian

Yes, there is a difference between the American people and the American government. The thing that puzzles me is; Obama was voted in on a ticket of "Change we can believe in". Yet so far as their foreign policy is concerned, what has changed?...Very little it seems to me.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 25 May 2011 - 1:25 PM
Andy_Cundell
25 May 2011 - 1:12 PM

The start of the 'special relationship' was when you sunk our tea! Wink

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
25 May 2011 - 1:16 PM

Funny, and more or less on topic...

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 1:18 PM

Superb! Grin

Andy_Cundell
25 May 2011 - 3:22 PM

I find that highly offensive..............................the French havn't got a clue what to do with us!Grin

Grampy
Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
25 May 2011 - 4:15 PM

Don't you believe it they would cover us with garlic and butter.

mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
25 May 2011 - 5:51 PM

An article on how the special relationship came about...Perfidious Albion: An Introduction to the Secret History of the British Empire

Quote: The English-educated House was probably London’s man from start, and he had close ties to the Morgan interests. Wiseman credited House with making the President believe that Britain and America were joined in a “special relationship” to combat German militarism and that Wilson needed to consider British views and needs ahead of any others.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.