Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

the 70's

I have just started my AS level art and ive decided to do a series of pieces based on different era's in time. One of these being the 70's! unfortunately for me though, i wasnt here in the 70's so if anyone has any memories of iconic events or object then i would love to hear them to inspire me!

thanks for looking
oliver

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB 8 4.3k 163 England
22 Apr 2010 7:54PM
I've just typed in 'iconic images of the 1970's' and quite a few suggestions have come up. They might inspire you. It depends what aspect you choose to focus on (no pun intended!).
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
22 Apr 2010 7:59PM
ray1 10 519 1 England
22 Apr 2010 8:03PM
Skinheads, crombie coats, pork pie hats, platform shoes, long collars, ford cortina, slade, disco, Northern Ireland troubles, summer heat wave, commodore 64, sinclair spectrum.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 8:19PM
Hey Ray, don't forget the Harrington jacket!
Artois 8 405 1 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 8:57PM
tonic, two tone, suedeheads, johnny reggae and hot pants
Jalapeno 4 127 2 Iceland
22 Apr 2010 9:14PM
Ahh the 70īs

The time where many cars had no seat-belts in the back (where the kids sat) and people smoked with the kids in the car with the window closed.....lets hope we are smarter now?

70īs had some mullets........bell-bottom trousers............Star Wars...................big eye-glasses...................some horrid material called polyester LOL
Roller skating........disco dancing.....disco balls..............
JamesGarfield 5 915 4 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 10:10PM
Starsky & Hutch, Jaws, Close Encounters, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit, Raleigh Choppers, AM CB Radios, Abba, the heat wave of 1976? Silver jubilee street parties, just some things from the 70's.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
22 Apr 2010 10:13PM
Canon A1 Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
22 Apr 2010 10:18PM
Pogo sticks, space hoppers, clackers, broken wrists Smile

the heatwave of 76 - I was a student tram conductor that summer in Blackpool, and when the first big raindropd appeared after the drought of a month or so, our tram driver stopped his full tram and we got out and did a little dance on the tracks - great entertaimnet for the grocks...
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 10:19PM
Argh and the old Loafers with leather tassels. (Only in Ox blood polish.)
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
22 Apr 2010 10:25PM
Glam rock: Sweet, Gary Glitter, David Bowie, Roxy Music etc ...painted faces, glitter, very very flared trousers
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2010 10:25PM
The Little Red Book, or Thoughts of Chairman Mao

The CND emblem, especially as worn in Vietnam e.g.

The last Huey leaving the embassy in Saigon.

The Huey. (Did we mention Vietnam?)

How about a candle ? in the UK, strikes, working to rule, trouble at the pits, an oil crisis, and we had power cuts, the three day week, a 50 mph speed limit, petrol ration books issued. People talk about the wartime generation always having a store of canned food, just in case. I've always got a box of candles and a box of matches.

Margaret Thatcher. The seventies ended with the popular Mrs Thatcher bringing an end to industrial strife. Or something like that.
Little did we know. Anyhow, first female prime minister in 1979. Iconic ?

The LEM. Lunar Excursion Module. First moon landing 1969, in the early seventies, you could look up at the moon and know that men were on the surface.

Red Rum of course. Couldn't forget Red Rum.

Concorde !!!

I'd rather not think about the fashion. I had flared red jeans at the beginning. Lets not go there.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Apr 2010 10:44PM

Quote:lets hope we are smarter now?

We sure are, We strap several kids into a recycled van ( People Carrier ).......Smile

Then we have an almighty crash at high speed, Because we where chatting on the " Mobile Phone " or perhaps " Texting " the contents of last nights Coronation Street...Tongue

Yeah! The 70s may not have been perfect, But have things really got any better.....Wink

In answer to Oliver's post, The 70s saw this country first lady " Prime Minister " Margaret Thatcher ....Smile She went on to win the Falklands War ( single handed ) Though many still question her orders to sink the Argentine battleship " Belgrano " full of raw recruits.......Sad

So maybe something that fits with the above theme.....!!!
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
22 Apr 2010 11:02PM

Quote:I had flared red jeans at the beginning. Lets not go there

where? two tone loons?? Wink Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.