Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The American Society of Mammalogists - any members?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2012 - 2:24 PM

Been browsing around for some periodical publications that have a bit more meat to the content that the typical kind of magazine one finds on the magazine racks. Thus far a lot of the more serious periodicals are clearly aimed at libraries and universities with very prohibitive membership fees for the individual.

That said the ASM appears to have pretty decent fees for annual sign ups. So I'm wondering if anyone here is a reader/member and if its worth signing up.

http://www.mammalsociety.org/

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2012 - 2:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hazelmouse
    20 Mar 2012 - 2:49 PM

I belong to The Mammal Society (UK) which has it's own publications but as far as I know only available to members. I am involved in studying mammmals locally - particularly dormice.

Overread
    20 Mar 2012 - 2:55 PM

Ahh somehow my googling totally managed to pass over the UK mammal society! Out of interest how do you find the publications and content in general? Also do you get the additional Mammal Review publication ?

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2012 - 3:04 PM

Quote: American Society of Mammalogists

Is that not the Playboy Club? Wink

Hazelmouse
    20 Mar 2012 - 4:47 PM

Our Mammal group is affiliated to the Mammal Soc. We get involved in surveys and receive both Mammal News and Mammal Review. Review has serious academic articles - but often on foreign species eg The Maned Sloth (did you know there was one?!!). So not really useful.

Are you aware of the PTES? - they co ordinate a lot on UK mammals as well and have online forums.

Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2012 - 5:00 PM

What sort of thing in particular are you after Overread?

Hazelmouse, sounds interesting! I should have studied wild mammals, but I always found the little beggers ran away too quickly, so I decided to focus on plants. (Until I discovered the really lazy way to study mammals is pick on the one snoozing next to you on the sofa! Suits me..)

Overread
    20 Mar 2012 - 5:27 PM

Thanks for the PTES reference Hazel!

Sus - mostly just interested in some broader reading on general mammals or wildlife in general (bugs, birds and beasts - - I'll let others worry about fish Wink). I've already found British Wildlife and been pleased with the content of the articles within. I'm not worried about more scientific reports, though sometimes reviews of reports can be slightly easier to digest.
    I've not really any specific species focus of interest so I'm game to most areas of research.

Thus far I tend to find too many books on the typical bookshop shelf are a bit on the coffeebook direction - articles with little depth and more just pretty pictures and such.

wawatson
    wawatson  1172 forum posts
    20 Mar 2012 - 5:31 PM

... and I thought it was our American cousins partaking of some intellectual study in the web edition of The Sun !!

Hazelmouse
    20 Mar 2012 - 5:36 PM

I have the captive variety too - though one sadly on his last few daysSad

Dormice are easy - they are asleep in the boxes we so kindly provide. Also we also find other less 'desirable' residents inclusing a sub species of woodmouse (yellow necked mouse) that is prevalent round here. Violent little horrors that will draw blood through a glove.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.