Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The American Society of Mammalogists - any members?

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
20 Mar 2012 2:24PM
Been browsing around for some periodical publications that have a bit more meat to the content that the typical kind of magazine one finds on the magazine racks. Thus far a lot of the more serious periodicals are clearly aimed at libraries and universities with very prohibitive membership fees for the individual.

That said the ASM appears to have pretty decent fees for annual sign ups. So I'm wondering if anyone here is a reader/member and if its worth signing up.

http://www.mammalsociety.org/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

20 Mar 2012 2:49PM
I belong to The Mammal Society (UK) which has it's own publications but as far as I know only available to members. I am involved in studying mammmals locally - particularly dormice.
20 Mar 2012 2:55PM
Ahh somehow my googling totally managed to pass over the UK mammal society! Out of interest how do you find the publications and content in general? Also do you get the additional Mammal Review publication ?
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
20 Mar 2012 3:04PM

Quote:American Society of Mammalogists

Is that not the Playboy Club? Wink
20 Mar 2012 4:47PM
Our Mammal group is affiliated to the Mammal Soc. We get involved in surveys and receive both Mammal News and Mammal Review. Review has serious academic articles - but often on foreign species eg The Maned Sloth (did you know there was one?!!). So not really useful.

Are you aware of the PTES? - they co ordinate a lot on UK mammals as well and have online forums.
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
20 Mar 2012 5:00PM
What sort of thing in particular are you after Overread?

Hazelmouse, sounds interesting! I should have studied wild mammals, but I always found the little beggers ran away too quickly, so I decided to focus on plants. (Until I discovered the really lazy way to study mammals is pick on the one snoozing next to you on the sofa! Suits me..)
20 Mar 2012 5:27PM
Thanks for the PTES reference Hazel!

Sus - mostly just interested in some broader reading on general mammals or wildlife in general (bugs, birds and beasts - - I'll let others worry about fish Wink). I've already found British Wildlife and been pleased with the content of the articles within. I'm not worried about more scientific reports, though sometimes reviews of reports can be slightly easier to digest.
I've not really any specific species focus of interest so I'm game to most areas of research.

Thus far I tend to find too many books on the typical bookshop shelf are a bit on the coffeebook direction - articles with little depth and more just pretty pictures and such.
wawatson 12 73
20 Mar 2012 5:31PM
... and I thought it was our American cousins partaking of some intellectual study in the web edition of The Sun !!
20 Mar 2012 5:36PM
I have the captive variety too - though one sadly on his last few daysSad

Dormice are easy - they are asleep in the boxes we so kindly provide. Also we also find other less 'desirable' residents inclusing a sub species of woodmouse (yellow necked mouse) that is prevalent round here. Violent little horrors that will draw blood through a glove.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.