Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Average cost of Wedding Photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 5:52 PM

Quote: a business is anything which turns a profit wether it be 30 weddings or 50 or 200 , if it makes money and turns a profit at the end of the year then its a business.
I have worked for a fair few businesses that havnt even bothered with the turning a profit bit...

Lol , guess theyre not going any more then !

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jun 2012 - 5:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 6:58 PM

Quote: Lol , guess theyre not going any more then !

Nope, still in business. Working for one at the moment Sad

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 11 Jun 2012 - 7:23 PM
pulsar69
11 Jun 2012 - 7:54 PM

hmmm , ok then whats the secret to keeping a business going that doesnt turn a profit ? I guess its just getting deeper and deeper into debt until it folds and starts again. Sounds like a rogue trader ?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 7:56 PM

Quote: Sounds like a rogue trader ?

Similar, it's banking Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 11 Jun 2012 - 7:57 PM
nickthompson
11 Jun 2012 - 10:34 PM

hmmm , ok then whats the secret to keeping a business going that doesnt turn a profit ? I guess its just getting deeper and deeper into debt until it folds and starts again. Sounds like a rogue trader ?
Or a premier League football team!

janeez
janeez e2 Member 51178 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 12:22 AM

Or Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece.............

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
12 Jun 2012 - 7:27 AM

For those who want to know http://www.premiere-photography.co.uk/
As they already state over 150 booked for 2013.

Last Modified By Graysta at 12 Jun 2012 - 7:29 AM
pulsar69
12 Jun 2012 - 8:30 AM

Good luck to them and having seen their prices I can see why they have 150 booked , however after paying the photographers they are farming it out too do you really think they will be making the same as a wedding pro with 50 bookings at a proper price ? I am not too sure. I cannot deny it is a workable business model however its just not one I am happy with.

Looking at their photo galleries the work is ok, but nothing to write home about. I guess some people are happy with that.

Andrew

BarrieNeilPhotography

You do have to wonder if they are evading tax. That number of pre-bookings and others that will come surely pushes them above the VAT threshold. Take off expenses and an allowance for corporation/personal tax, where is the profit?

At this price point, I can only see a profit that provides a living wage if taxes are not paid either by themselves or the photographers they farm out to. Sounds a little piscatorial to me

keithh
keithh  1022805 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:59 AM

Looks more like a clearing house - sorry - co-operative.

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
12 Jun 2012 - 5:08 PM

I know how much the photographers are paid and it's not mean,but it is a flat fee.
But it does go to show there is a market at the lower end of the price range,suppose they manage to sell 50% of the brides an upgrade.
On the subject of wondering about tax evasion I have worked for myself for longer than I care to remember and i will tell anyone who does or wants to work self employed make sure its you that you are working for. The aim of being self employed is to be a millionaire not a pauper, reality can be different however. Wink

thewilliam
12 Jun 2012 - 7:56 PM

One well-known Aussie wedding photographer runs two separate businesses. One starts at 5k Aussie dollars and the other at $500. The cheapie business has been very well planned to run with absolute minimum labour and is actually the more profitable of the two.

Most good photographers seem to prefer the higher- price end of the market. Work on a production line can be tedious!

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
12 Jun 2012 - 10:24 PM

What is the website of the aussie photographer. Would like to have a look. It seems that its the expensive photographers that are packing in nowadays because they are not getting the same amount of bookings they used to.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:37 PM

Quote: What is the website of the aussie photographer. Would like to have a look. It seems that its the expensive photographers that are packing in nowadays because they are not getting the same amount of bookings they used to.

Not been my experience locally, the expensive ones are still going it is the middle people that are sweating and the turn over at the lower end is tearful.

Lucian
Lucian  4531 forum posts
12 Jun 2012 - 11:41 PM

I am on a facebook page that is for people looking for wedding suppliers. Literelly every time someone posts something on this page the words budget or cheap are mentioned and very rarely does anyone post anything regarding trying to find the best quality. I am one of the most expensive photographers on the page and the standard of my work is of higher quality than the other photographers yet they are getting more enquiries than me. I really do think that about 80% of brides are in the sub 500 budget for photography.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.