Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Average cost of Wedding Photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 11:55 PM

Lucian it could be true that about 80% of brides are looking to pay less than 500 but if you have to do the work at next to no profit what is the point. Currently the situation is a lot of new people are attempting to be wedding photographers so the price at the bottom end gets pushed down.

Look at it another way. For 20% of the market there is a good margin to be made for a quality product. So would you rather concentrate on the higher margin 20% or the lower margin 80%. It depends where you are on the quality mark.

And another item to think on. If the others are getting more enquiries are you certain your work is of a higher standard? It is your perception it is, but do the customers think so. Or is the facebook page you are on where the premium 20% go or is it where people at the bottom end of the market go?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Jun 2012 - 11:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
13 Jun 2012 - 12:08 AM

I did a quick facebook search for Lanarkshire Wedding photographers from wedding threads and came up with the following as a sample

jonathon.co
mcookphotography
www.gailgalbraith.co.uk
mcbeth photography

I just linked the 1st few but you you can see their packages start higher than 500 and rise. Are you in the wrong part of facebook. I am far from being a facebook expert but it strikes me there is more to be had if you can operate at the correct level of photographic skill and marketing. The presentation looks key to me.

I also checked out Midlothian photographers and even the Budget wedding photographer starts at 650.

And then I found this

Last Modified By strawman at 13 Jun 2012 - 12:17 AM
jimthistle73
13 Jun 2012 - 1:25 AM

Wow! That photographers' bargain basement website is horrible (the one Graysta linked to). And so are the photos. I only looked at one portfolio but that was enough. Someone needs to sit down with all their clients and slap them until they see sense (or die).

James - I honestly don't think there's anything at all to be gained from hanging about or posting on those Facebook suppliers pages - as you say, everyone wants the cheapest possible service for every aspect of their weddings - the photographers who advertise their services there are just on a race to the bottom.

I may be slightly biased Smile but I honestly believe it's worth making sacrifices in other areas to have a half decent photographer. A good tog will give you a good set of images even if the flowers are plastic, the venue is a bit run down and the centrepieces are home made. A bad photographer will make even the most expensive venue / dress / decorations look awful. As is evidenced by that site. Some of the best weddings I've shot have been at pretty basic venues...

Last Modified By jimthistle73 at 13 Jun 2012 - 1:31 AM
janeez
janeez e2 Member 51174 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 1:47 AM

Just had a look at the Midlothian budget site Strawman found. Truly depressing. Thought I would then have a quick look at the video posted and couldn't believe it was worse than the photography! People actually pay for this? Sad

Isn't it sad that people with so little money have to put up with such shoddy rubbish.

Lucian
Lucian  4530 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 8:29 AM

I am not really a facebook fan but it is free and it has got me a handful of bookings i would otherwise have not got if i was not on their. The facebook page i am on has photographers on it at 200 and some people contact me asking for 1 hours coverage and honestly think i would be interested in going out and working for that. I have had people from this page cancel consultations because they have not had 100 to secure the date and think they can just pay cash on the day. However, I just got a late booking from one of the pages the other day and the girl who booked me loved my work and thought i was better than the rest that were advertising. Its the same with gumtree, i stopped advertising there because it is just a harbour for cheap skates.

mikehit
mikehit  46144 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 8:47 AM

Lucian - perhaps you are looking at this from the wrong angle. Maybe the people wanting quality work and willing to pay for it would not dream of looking on facebook for a wedding photographer so in that sense your view of the market is being skewed by the demographic of the people who do. This is why CBs suggestion of networking is so important.

Lucian
Lucian  4530 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 9:07 AM

Facebook can be effective when used correctly though. I put a slideshow of each wedding i do on a website and send the link to the site to the bride so she can view photos. It is guaranteed that if she is on facebook she will put a link their to show everybody her wedding photos and the hits on my site go up when i do this. People who would have otherwise never came across me do because of this and i get work from this.

Lucian
Lucian  4530 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 9:13 AM

Here is a link to one of the rubbish photographers who people are recommending on the facebook page i am on. They seem to get more recommendations than me. They are potentially one of the worst photographers i have seen in my life. Here is a link to their site. What do you think. Their site is [link removed by epz]

Perfect example of how poor the level of wedding photography is nowadays.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 13 Jun 2012 - 7:23 PM
strawman
13 Jun 2012 - 9:24 AM

James cannot see your link, but let me point out something you need to think about. You use Facebook because it is free and cheep so guess what its no surprise if the people looking for photographers follow the same logic. How about paying to get some decent advertising/product placement?

Facebook can be used with success, but it is only 1 strand.

Lucian
Lucian  4530 forum posts
13 Jun 2012 - 9:26 AM

I have used asterix in the link so it does not become seo.

mikehit
mikehit  46144 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 9:42 AM

Quote: Facebook can be effective when used correctly though. I put a slideshow of each wedding i do on a website and send the link to the site to the bride so she can view photos. It is guaranteed that if she is on facebook she will put a link their to show everybody her wedding photos and the hits on my site go up when i do this. People who would have otherwise never came across me do because of this and i get work from this.

And so yet again you sidestep by a suggestion, being totally convinced that what you are doing is right. Yet you are worried about what you are not doing that you could be doing.
I hate to say it but with that attitude your business is doomed to never succeed.

keithh
keithh  1022760 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 1:40 PM

Lucian,

Do you in all honesty consider yourself better than [name removed by epz] and secondly, don't point out someone elses website and work for criticism and belittlement, if you are unwilling to stand up and be counted yourself.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 13 Jun 2012 - 7:23 PM
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 4:06 PM

Quote: Here is a link to one of the rubbish photographers who people are recommending on the facebook page i am on. They seem to get more recommendations than me. They are potentially one of the worst photographers i have seen in my life. Here is a link to their site. What do you think. Their site is w**.sdPh*******hy.co.uk

Perfect example of how poor the level of wedding photography is nowadays.

Completely agree with keith here , you refuse to publish your own sites and then knock what you perceive to be a poor level of someone elses work !
Its obviously completely bypassed you that there work is supposed to be vintage styled and as such it is actually fine.
Stop running around complaining , you are one of the cheap wedding photographers with the loads of websites you keep complaining about so stop throwing stones in a glass house.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jun 2012 - 4:34 PM

I'm sure many active users of this forum have seen some of Lucian's websites. Wink

Surely he wouldn't mind if we posted a few links? Smile

strawman
13 Jun 2012 - 4:48 PM

Lucian do you honestly think you are producing better work than ************? I think you might need to look and learn. Would you like me to put up a link to one of your sites so you can get feedback. I fail to see, from their website, how their work is of a lower quality than yours.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 13 Jun 2012 - 7:33 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.