Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The best Canon lens for landscapes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    r6jvr
    r6jvr  2 United Kingdom
    7 Dec 2011 - 12:04 PM

I am wanting a Lens that is going to have the best results in all round landscape photography as I can only afford one for the time being. Any recommendations would be great, Thanks. Josie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Dec 2011 - 12:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Dec 2011 - 12:17 PM

Is this for 35mm sensor or APS-C? How much can you afford? Do you use a tripod?

My first reponse or APS-C would be the excellent Tamron 17-50 f2.8 at under 300 - I have seen several comments that is surpases the Canon 17-40. It does not have image stabilisation but when used at wide angle settings (17mm to 24mm on APS-C) that is less important, and if you use a tripod all the better. Its range also makes it a decent all-round lens. However, better than that would be the 15-85 which has an even better range. The lack of constant aperture does not really matter for landscapes because you will generally be using it stopped down.
    If you do a fair amount of low-light work get the 17-50. But the focal range on the 15-85 is great for most people (the additonal 2mm at the bottom end make a huge difference).

If you want to go even wider there is the Sigma 10-20 or the Canon 10-22. But you need to compose the picture carefully to avoid average-looking photos. Personally I dinf my 17-55 is wide enough even with the wideopen vistas of the Rocky mountains or the Himalayas.

Over that cost you have the 17-40, the 16-35 or the 17-55IS.

But don't get too tied down in thinking 'landscape =wide angle'. I take as many landscape pictures with my telephoto as I do wide angle.

Last Modified By mikehit at 7 Dec 2011 - 12:18 PM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Dec 2011 - 1:27 PM

The best Lens might be a good solid tripod, a smaller f16 aperture and panoramic software.

WhiteRose1
    WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41066 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England136 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Dec 2011 - 2:12 PM

I have the Sigma 10-20, Canon 100, and 100-400, but the 15-85 very rarely leaves the camera (7D).

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62511 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    9 Dec 2011 - 10:33 PM

Landscapes can be taken with any focal length - I find longer focal lengths to be good for hill country landscapes.
    Most landscapes are taken in the f8-16 aperture range - where most lenses deliver similar optical quality.
    I agree with the earlier suggestion - a good tripod to help get maximum sharpness, plus maybe a pol filter are usually more important than the lens.

digicamera
    22 Dec 2011 - 5:26 PM

I have Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM.
    Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM as ultra-wide angle tube, it can be improved to the image quality compared to previous versions. The lens is made ​​of high grade water resistant, optical quality of its great and works very well deserved reputation of the L series Canon. The lens has a compact size is handy, use the filter size of 82mm for the first time all EF lenses. Focus Lens for fast, smooth and precise. The lens is suitable landscape and city projects.

User_Removed
    25 Dec 2011 - 1:29 PM

Have you considered the humble Canon 24-105 L - an excellent landscape lens and tack sharp even wide open. At f/4 it's sweet, at f/8 it'll cut you in half. It's also VERY resilient, I dropped mine on to some wet sand and after a quick clean, it was still firing on all cyllinders. But as said, you can use any lens for landscapes, I often use my 70-200 f/4 IS and I also use my 28-135 IS as well.

ventile
    ventile  7152 forum posts Wales
    25 Dec 2011 - 9:51 PM

Maybe the Tokina 12-24?? I use one for landscapes does me fine..

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.