Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

The best piece of music ever written.

PaulSR e2
9 511 England
21 Oct 2012 9:39AM

Quote:Now, regarding this thread, Peter Gabriel is good, but c'mon! - the best piece of music ever....... by Genesis???? LMAO

One must have been drinking too much ale, to have come to this conclusion

peter Gabriel had already left the band. it was an instrumental for the last 2 minutes of the song. take 2 minutes out of your life and give it a listen. Steve hackett guitar and tony banks Amaaazzzing keyboards. people have the wrong impression about Genesis and are pleasantly surprised by what they hear, especially from the 70s

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 10:02AM
Bought the album when it first came out. The first full Collins outing had its moments, otherwise I subsequently grew to hate his thin screachy tones. The sleeve artwork is very memorable. Hackett has an original style, but is no Allan Holdsworth.
yashicaboy 3 26 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 12:00PM
Come on chaps Genesis best music ever!???? Utter tosh you canít beat a dose of Kashmir by Zeppelin or a spot of Paranoid by Sabbath

Also check out the Reverend Peytons Big Damn Band if you like slide guitar
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
21 Oct 2012 12:47PM
Are we talking music generally or just rock/pop (which is sadly all a lot of people seem to think the word 'music' covers these days)?

If the former, it has to be Beethoven's Eroica symphony - for a whole load of reasons.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 1:38PM
Hi Paul,
just had a list to the whole track(to give context to the last 2 minutes) to remind myself of whether I'd missed something, but I hadn't - it just doesn't rock my boat. 2 minutes wasted Wink

Maybe I'm thinking of music in a broader sense, as Joolsb mentions.

I like 70's music as I grew up during this period, and some bands/tracks from that period are very special to me, but I dont consider any of it as the best piece of music ever written, although Bowie would be the one who came close.

Let's explore the bigger picture Smile
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 1:40PM

Quote:The best piece of music ever written.

How long is a piece of string ??
PaulSR e2
9 511 England
21 Oct 2012 1:53PM
Andrew, ive always found that the music that stays with you forever, takes a while to grow on you. 1 listen isnt enough. music that you like instantly, you will dislike just as quick.
PaulSR e2
9 511 England
21 Oct 2012 1:54PM
How long is a piece of string ??
who sings that one
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 1:59PM
Beethovens 9th, the last really great piece of music, great lyrics to! Wink
lemmy e2
7 2.0k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 2:15PM

Quote: Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue' or perhaps Miles Davis 'so what' are some of my favourites

Plainly a man with impeccable taste, a scholar and a gentleman. You can come to my funeral if i can come to yours Grin
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 2:49PM

Quote:Andrew, ive always found that the music that stays with you forever, takes a while to grow on you. 1 listen isnt enough. music that you like instantly, you will dislike just as quick.

My response mentions the word 'remind', meaning I've heard it before, and todays listen did nothing to change my opinion.
However, I do agree that some music takes longer to appreciate than other music which has more initial impact, which is something I love about LP's -
there's tracks that sound great when you first get it home, then there's other tracks will dont hit the mark initially, but get better with time.

21 Oct 2012 2:55PM

Quote:Any one for Val Doonican?

Too late, I already ducked. Tongue

He wasn't All bad - take a look & listen at this
edtaylor e2
3 104 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 3:18PM
Genesis One of the best bands ever.............
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 5:38PM
Not everyone's cup of tea, but Grace Slick takes some beating
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2012 6:10PM

Quote:Not everyone's cup of tea, but Grace Slick takes some beating

Damn right Adrian - Grace has a superb and unique voice, which inspired Siouxsie Sioux amongst others.
I prefer the 'Airplane' era.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.