Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Big Questions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 12:26 PM

Do any of you watch "The Big Questions" on BBC1 on Sunday mornings?
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Apr 2012 - 12:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

classcams
classcams  5117 forum posts
29 Apr 2012 - 3:04 PM

I watch it every Sunday. What I cannot understand is, these blokes who seem to be well educated blabber on about JC. Like this morning a well spoken bloke was talking through his hat. Don`t these men face the facts. Every thing is black and white in history. It was understandable when they believed that the earth was flat and the sun went around the earth. For my part I say if murder is an open and shut case then give them the drop. If that Norwegian bloke is spared, it will be unbelievable. I believe its three facts, heart stops,brain dies, OBLIVION.

classcams
classcams  5117 forum posts
29 Apr 2012 - 3:07 PM

Forgot to mention, I`m pushing two fat ladies.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2012 - 5:28 PM

Quote: If that Norwegian bloke is spared, it will be unbelievable.

Well, I must admit that I'm not without sympathy for your views when considering the fate of Anders Breivick, or whatever they call him. His case seems black and white and he almost gleefully admits his guilt but I'm against the death penalty in principle because of the high risk of executing innocent people.

thewilliam
29 Apr 2012 - 6:27 PM

In the good old days in the UK, the death penalty wasn't a mandatory punishment for murder, just an option. A judge was able to impose life imprisonment.

Back in Vctorian times, they wouldn't hang a pregnant woman because it would also kill the innocent child within her. They'd wait until the child had been born and then take her to the gallows.

Now, with Lucifer's inversion, we have abortion and the murder of the unborn innocent is quite legal. Worse still, it's permissible until a stage of pregnancy when the foetus could be a viable baby. On the other hand, not even the vilest murderer who freely admits his or her crimes will go to the gallows.

Our government wants ever tougher anti-terrorist laws, even though the courts could probably have convicted terrorists on a high-teason charge under our old laws. The police can already shoot citizens with impunity, why do they also need to be able to imprison citizens without charge or trial?

Our government won't deport some high-profile wrongdoers because they have "human rights" but, until the Lumley protest, they happily deported retired Ghurka soldiers who had given exemplary service to our country.

When will they see sense?

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 - 9:38 AM

When will they see sense?
NEVER not untill we scrap the ECHR, ditch the european community in the middle of the English channel, and have a government off the British people, by the British people, for the British people.
I welcome foreign nationals to our country but,and heres the rub,breach OUR laws and goodbye NO appeal on the next plane out.
We see TV programmes of our customs stopping illegals and the courts bail them as there are no papers to prove where they came from, who needs papers they were on a wagon from france so send them back to france and let the french deal with them.
Im standing by for the "do gooders" to come out in force now, but just think a minute when did you last try to get into the USA, Canada, Australia they dont stand any messing with human rights so why should our Government have there hands tied.
Just look at the costs of keeping foreign nationals in our prisons they should be automatically deported at end of sentence, even thoughs that have a deportation order are not sent packing,believe me I worked for some 20+ years in the home office and I saw hundreds of cases of prisoners with deportation orders who at the end of there sentence were released into society simply because the immigration service would not or could not collect them from the prison.
Who knows solve the illegals problem and we might actually have some money to spend on our own problems

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 9:40 AM

Quote: The Big Questions

Have they done "Is there a God" yet? Wink

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014007 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 9:51 AM

Quote: Have they done "Is there a God" yet? Wink

Every sodding week!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 10:00 AM

Quote: Every sodding week!

What was the pundits' conclusion? Smile

gcarth
30 Apr 2012 - 10:03 AM

Quote: Every sodding week!

What was the pundits' conclusion? Smile

I don't know but my conclusion is that it is completely pointless to argue about God or religion with anybody who believes in the literal and supreme importance of the Bible or the Koran.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014007 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2012 - 10:04 AM

There is never a conclusion - just a load of ranting. The whole program is like some never ending pub argument.

Carabosse
30 Apr 2012 - 10:08 AM

Quote: There is never a conclusion - just a load of ranting. The whole program is like some never ending pub argument.

Ok, I won't bother watching then. Thanks. Smile

gcarth
30 Apr 2012 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
Who knows solve the illegals problem and we might actually have some money to spend on our own problems

I'm a 'do-gooder liberal' and don't endorse your views but I do understand what you say. Personally, I welcome and enjoy the rich diversity of our multi-cultural society but of course we have allowed too many bad apples in to the country and this brings out lots of resentment, quite understandably.
However, I think there are other even more important reasons for Britains woes like following the US and the deregulated Free Market nonsense etc.
Anyway, getting back to the topic, I quite enjoy 'The Big Questions' because they don't just cover religion: they cover just about all current issues - that is except for really probing the connections between politics, big business and the media, for instance. I think Nicky Campbell does an excellent job as presenter - it can't be easy - but I'm sure he gets paid well enough!
That said, I do find some of the 'pundits' they repeatedly wheel out for the programme extremely irritating: I was well stressed out and near apoplectic during yesterday's broadcast when there were three, all too familiar TV faces, sitting together in the front row. These men were intelligent and yet were unstoppable in spouting their pompous nonsense.
God himself, in human form, was there - Peter Hitchens, just never knows when to stop and thinks he has a divine right to interrupt everyone, but they must not interrupt him -
which is fair enough, I suppose... if you are GodWink SadTongue
All of the three stooges, were equally irritating in their pomposity: They were so insensitive and intent on protecting their fat egos that they were verbally attacking a man and his wife who had lost their child as a murder victim. The man and his wife behaved with great dignity while I just wanted to give those three pillocks a good whacking!SadWink
Oh, dear, I'll have to lie down - I'm still feeling a bit apoplectic! Wink

Last Modified By gcarth at 30 Apr 2012 - 10:52 AM
lobsterboy
30 Apr 2012 - 11:03 AM

Quote: God himself, in human form, was there - Peter Hitchens

Peter Hitchins, a man who has made his entire career out of saying "everything was wonderful in the 1950s"... Smile

gcarth
30 Apr 2012 - 11:09 AM

Quote: There is never a conclusion - just a load of ranting. The whole program is like some never ending pub argument.

Very true. However, I think it sometimes helps us to see what we are up against on the road to enlightenment - and then of course... should we not ask the question; "What is enlightenment?" One man or woman's enlightenment is another's road to hell!WinkSad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.