Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Is Here!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
2 Mar 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: It is, however, compulsory for the gearheads to sell their Mark 2 at a stupidly low price to fund buying a Mark 3
If I am selling my MK2 to fund D800, could I sell it at a higher price? Tongue

Of course. The dealer would recognise that he was dealing with a very intelligent customer!

Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2012 - 4:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215508 forum posts England
2 Mar 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote: It's OK. I searched all over the press releases and it's [apparently] not compulsory to buy one.

It is if you have big hands.... Smile

Seeing as how the video features are being used to justify the huge cost, do you think they'd do me a version with video turn off, and knock 50% off the price ?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 5:39 PM

Quote: do you think they'd do me a version with video turn off, and knock 50% off the price ?

50p off the price more like! Grin

User_Removed
2 Mar 2012 - 5:48 PM

Sorry. Additional features such as a VTO (Video Turn Off) cost extra.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 6:06 PM

There is a review here

http://blog.jeffascough.com/photographers/2012/03/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-review.html

that say's in one part
" Canon have made the anti-aliasing filter thinner to get higher quality - BUT - if you decide to put cheap lenses on this camera you may find them wanting. "

Might that mean that older lenses on this new body would be a waste of time - actually stopping you upgrading your Mk2 untill your lenses were up to scratch for the MK3?

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2012 - 11:32 PM

Jack that goes for the D800 even more so. The existing 5D MKII allowed weaknesses in lenses to be seen, so if they have reduced the level of anti-alias filter then that will just show up any lens imperfections even more. It is merely stating the obvious which is the more pixels the more you spot aberration diffraction etc.

pulsar69
pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2012 - 3:58 PM

Personally i think all thats missing is a realistic price and that will come with time. The 5d3 should be at the 2k mark for the body and the 5d2 which is still a fantastic camera is actually 4+ years old hence should be seing a reduction down to closer to the 1k mark. This will bring in business for both cameras and they will both fly out !

They have done as asked and not increased the Megapixels , produced better AF , a lock on the mode dial ( one of the big downsides of the 5d2 ) and increased the ISO capabilites - which from previous posts is everything that was being asked for. Well done Canon.

RoyChilds
RoyChilds e2 Member 653 forum postsRoyChilds vcard England
4 Mar 2012 - 8:34 PM

Just got back from Focus exhibition at NEC Canon 5D mk3 is amazing the low light pics out of this camera are way beyond any thing else. Canon stand had 4 to play with Nikon stand had 1 !! .One D800 ,people waiting ages to try it .Anyways its Canon for me the focus system is vastly improved,the built in HDR really does work and the silent shutter mode is ace ,but the biggie is the picture quality, fantastic its a real improvement the only fly is the price, anyone want to buy a kidney Wink

cheers Roy

ps teriffic show

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
4 Mar 2012 - 8:59 PM

I played with the 5d3 briefly today, it is a solid piece of kit. Didn't really try out much as I didn't feel comfortable of letting others keep waiting. But it is very nice.
Nikon is having a laugh with only one d800 on their stand. I didn't bother to wait.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 11:41 AM

I wanted more mega pixies! Sad

clown-dark.jpg

newfocus
newfocus  7644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm glad the didn't up the pixel count much personally - what seems to be emerging from the various tests and reports is a sensible evolution of a solid camera.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2012 - 12:27 PM

If you are new into the FF system, then it is a perfect camera with everything you would want for, it is what 5D2 should have been.
However, if you are upgrading from 5D2, it is not worth the extra money.

Lynx08
Lynx08 e2 Member 61209 forum postsLynx08 vcard England
5 Mar 2012 - 2:09 PM

Hi

Does anyone know if they are phasing out the MkII? or will it be kept on as a cheeaper, more affordable model?

thanks
Lyn

Carabosse
5 Mar 2012 - 2:36 PM

Quote: Does anyone know if they are phasing out the MkII? or will it be kept on as a cheeaper, more affordable model?

Production of the Mark II will almost certainly stop once production of the Mk III has started. However there will be stocks of the Mk II still available - and experience suggests these stocks of superseded cameras may be around for a few months.

But.......... quite a few seem to waiting for the Mk III to appear before buying a Mk II. So I suspect stocks of the latter will soon deplete! Wink

jembo
jembo e2 Member 10103 forum postsjembo vcard United Kingdom
5 Mar 2012 - 5:55 PM

The thing to remember about the price is that the camera is aimed at people who will be using it as a business tool - and generating an income from said camera. They will also (in the UK) be able to claim it as an Allowable Expense on their tax return.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.