Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Is Here!

pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2012 11:21PM

Quote:I wouldn't be too optimistic about a plethora of Mk II cameras flooding the s/h market...............
Apart from all the disgruntled Canon users selling their kit to switch to Nikon and the D800 Smile

Hardly likely lol

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TRUEX 7 218 10
7 Mar 2012 6:51AM
One just listed in EPZ classifieds, £1200.
XxPaulxX 8 260 England
7 Mar 2012 11:54AM
I'm travelling to the USA in May/June. Would it be worthwhile buying one over there(if available), is V.A.T. the only extra payment I'd need to make on my return, would the charger work over here and are there any other reasons for not buying abroad, other than the repair under warranty issue?

Thanks in advance!
mlewis 10 1.5k United Kingdom
7 Mar 2012 12:28PM
You would to get a different cable to attach to the charger so you had the correct plug. The charger itself will work worldwide. You would also have to work out whether paying the price abroad (including any local sales tax) plus VAT and duty on return is worth it cost wise to the UK price. The cost once you have factored in VAT and import duty on return will probably not be far off the UK price.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
7 Mar 2012 3:14PM

Quote:You would to get a different cable to attach to the charger so you had the correct plug. The charger itself will work worldwide. You would also have to work out whether paying the price abroad (including any local sales tax) plus VAT and duty on return is worth it cost wise to the UK price. The cost once you have factored in VAT and import duty on return will probably not be far off the UK price.

Technically, you could probably reclaim the sales tax that you paid in USA (usually about 8%) but you then have to allow about 30% to cover VAT and Import Duty when you bring it into UK. As Mlewis says, no problem with charger. You don't even need a different cable, a simple 50p adapter will do. Most chargers and power supplies will work with an input voltage anywhere between 110v and 250v. (which is why you can run your laptop on the same power supply in both UK and USA). Apart from warranty issues, only other minor problem I can think of is reduction in re-sale value in UK when you next upgrade.
16 Mar 2012 9:07AM
Well, it looks as if Jessops are going to be charging the full whack- see their site http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/84404/show.html
User_Removed 5 1.4k England
17 Mar 2012 5:20AM
Having been hands on with one its very impressive; the noise performance alone justifies the price for me. - ISO 25600 was clear and only at 51200 was noise becoming an issue. Also thank god for locks on this one!

Video had significantly worse moire patterns than the 5dm2 though; but I was told this would be rectified in a firmware update. - I'm assuming the mark 3 has a different sampling method to generate video rather than just "drop 2 lines". But it seems like there is alot more processing "flex" available to this camera.

The new flashgun is also has a really nice power level improvement. - But not seen it in action yet and I won't until they release the RT rx adapter for 580's.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
17 Mar 2012 12:16PM
"Film buffs" must think we are on a different planet with digital. Grin

Imagine discussing photos taken at ISO 25600 in the olden days of film! (I was doing this myself with regard to the Olympus OM-D a couple of days ago). ISO 400 (or ASA 400) was about the limit - 25600 is six stops higher!
newfocus 8 644 2 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2012 10:59PM
Yep - high ISO performance is where a lot of the progress seems to be at the moment. Can't be doing much for tripod sales Smile
18 Mar 2012 3:13AM

Quote:"Film buffs" must think we are on a different planet with digital. Grin

Imagine discussing photos taken at ISO 25600 in the olden days of film! (I was doing this myself with regard to the Olympus OM-D a couple of days ago). ISO 400 (or ASA 400) was about the limit - 25600 is six stops higher!

Not really. - It's not approached in that way. Many stocks of film could sacrifice dynamic range for incredible sensitivity.

The technology behind CMOS sensors is BS compared to what's in most standard films.
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2012 9:13AM

Quote:The EOS 5D Mark III comes complete with the most advanced version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) yet – Canon’s free, in-box software enabling high-speed, high quality processing of RAW images. New in DPP v3.11 is Digital Lens Optimizer – a revolutionary new tool designed to drastically improve image resolution.

drastically improve image resolution ... really ? is this possible or even necessary ? would like to know the technology behind this claim.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2012 11:52PM
If you have plenty of data about a lens (as Canon do) there's some really clever stuff that can be done in software. Some of the first pictures from the faulty Hubble were successfully adjusted with software and stopped it from being a complete disaster.

DPP's current adjustments for Canon lenses, things like chromatic aberration, vignetting and distortion correction are excellent so maybe they've got some clever routines that look for digital artefacts like sensor reflections and can correct for them.
19 Mar 2012 11:22AM

Quote:The EOS 5D Mark III comes complete with the most advanced version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) yet – Canon’s free, in-box software enabling high-speed, high quality processing of RAW images. New in DPP v3.11 is Digital Lens Optimizer – a revolutionary new tool designed to drastically improve image resolution.

drastically improve image resolution ... really ? is this possible or even necessary ? would like to know the technology behind this claim.

100000000% possible.

Just think; entire output of camera is subject to bayer filter.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
19 Mar 2012 11:29AM
They already have some good lens correction SW for the older cameras. For my S95 it makes a big difference. So I can believe an updated version with new silicon could be very impressive.
Lillian e2
5 16 16 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2012 4:37PM
I just bought the 5D Mark iii yesterday...great images, BUT cannot view raw files in CS5! certainly can in their given program DPP
photos great and from what I see no noise to speak of, but do not use their program just CS5..any one know of a way, Canon can not help!
Not that prepared, just wanting to get their product sold..but no solutions yet

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.