Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III Is Here!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2012 - 11:21 PM

Quote: I wouldn't be too optimistic about a plethora of Mk II cameras flooding the s/h market...............
Apart from all the disgruntled Canon users selling their kit to switch to Nikon and the D800 Smile

Hardly likely lol

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2012 - 11:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TRUEX
TRUEX  7218 forum posts10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2012 - 6:51 AM

One just listed in EPZ classifieds, £1200.

XxPaulxX
XxPaulxX  8256 forum posts England
7 Mar 2012 - 11:54 AM

I'm travelling to the USA in May/June. Would it be worthwhile buying one over there(if available), is V.A.T. the only extra payment I'd need to make on my return, would the charger work over here and are there any other reasons for not buying abroad, other than the repair under warranty issue?

Thanks in advance!

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2012 - 12:28 PM

You would to get a different cable to attach to the charger so you had the correct plug. The charger itself will work worldwide. You would also have to work out whether paying the price abroad (including any local sales tax) plus VAT and duty on return is worth it cost wise to the UK price. The cost once you have factored in VAT and import duty on return will probably not be far off the UK price.

User_Removed
7 Mar 2012 - 3:14 PM

Quote: You would to get a different cable to attach to the charger so you had the correct plug. The charger itself will work worldwide. You would also have to work out whether paying the price abroad (including any local sales tax) plus VAT and duty on return is worth it cost wise to the UK price. The cost once you have factored in VAT and import duty on return will probably not be far off the UK price.

Technically, you could probably reclaim the sales tax that you paid in USA (usually about 8%) but you then have to allow about 30% to cover VAT and Import Duty when you bring it into UK. As Mlewis says, no problem with charger. You don't even need a different cable, a simple 50p adapter will do. Most chargers and power supplies will work with an input voltage anywhere between 110v and 250v. (which is why you can run your laptop on the same power supply in both UK and USA). Apart from warranty issues, only other minor problem I can think of is reduction in re-sale value in UK when you next upgrade.

wordynoodles
16 Mar 2012 - 9:07 AM

Well, it looks as if Jessops are going to be charging the full whack- see their site http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/84404/show.html

User_Removed
17 Mar 2012 - 5:20 AM

Having been hands on with one its very impressive; the noise performance alone justifies the price for me. - ISO 25600 was clear and only at 51200 was noise becoming an issue. Also thank god for locks on this one!

Video had significantly worse moire patterns than the 5dm2 though; but I was told this would be rectified in a firmware update. - I'm assuming the mark 3 has a different sampling method to generate video rather than just "drop 2 lines". But it seems like there is alot more processing "flex" available to this camera.

The new flashgun is also has a really nice power level improvement. - But not seen it in action yet and I won't until they release the RT rx adapter for 580's.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2012 - 12:16 PM

"Film buffs" must think we are on a different planet with digital. Grin

Imagine discussing photos taken at ISO 25600 in the olden days of film! (I was doing this myself with regard to the Olympus OM-D a couple of days ago). ISO 400 (or ASA 400) was about the limit - 25600 is six stops higher!

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2012 - 10:59 PM

Yep - high ISO performance is where a lot of the progress seems to be at the moment. Can't be doing much for tripod sales Smile

User_Removed
18 Mar 2012 - 3:13 AM

Quote: "Film buffs" must think we are on a different planet with digital. Grin

Imagine discussing photos taken at ISO 25600 in the olden days of film! (I was doing this myself with regard to the Olympus OM-D a couple of days ago). ISO 400 (or ASA 400) was about the limit - 25600 is six stops higher!

Not really. - It's not approached in that way. Many stocks of film could sacrifice dynamic range for incredible sensitivity.

The technology behind CMOS sensors is BS compared to what's in most standard films.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Mar 2012 - 9:13 AM

Quote: The EOS 5D Mark III comes complete with the most advanced version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) yet – Canon’s free, in-box software enabling high-speed, high quality processing of RAW images. New in DPP v3.11 is Digital Lens Optimizer – a revolutionary new tool designed to drastically improve image resolution.

drastically improve image resolution ... really ? is this possible or even necessary ? would like to know the technology behind this claim.

User_Removed
18 Mar 2012 - 11:52 PM

If you have plenty of data about a lens (as Canon do) there's some really clever stuff that can be done in software. Some of the first pictures from the faulty Hubble were successfully adjusted with software and stopped it from being a complete disaster.

DPP's current adjustments for Canon lenses, things like chromatic aberration, vignetting and distortion correction are excellent so maybe they've got some clever routines that look for digital artefacts like sensor reflections and can correct for them.

User_Removed
19 Mar 2012 - 11:22 AM

Quote: The EOS 5D Mark III comes complete with the most advanced version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) yet – Canon’s free, in-box software enabling high-speed, high quality processing of RAW images. New in DPP v3.11 is Digital Lens Optimizer – a revolutionary new tool designed to drastically improve image resolution.

drastically improve image resolution ... really ? is this possible or even necessary ? would like to know the technology behind this claim.

100000000% possible.

Just think; entire output of camera is subject to bayer filter.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2012 - 11:29 AM

They already have some good lens correction SW for the older cameras. For my S95 it makes a big difference. So I can believe an updated version with new silicon could be very impressive.

Lillian
Lillian e2 Member 5Lillian vcard United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 4:37 PM

I just bought the 5D Mark iii yesterday...great images, BUT cannot view raw files in CS5! certainly can in their given program DPP
photos great and from what I see no noise to speak of, but do not use their program just CS5..any one know of a way, Canon can not help!
Not that prepared, just wanting to get their product sold..but no solutions yet

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.