Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The cheap Chinese triggers.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Britman
    Britman  81669 forum posts England
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

I've been reading up on the new Yongnuo YN622C wireless ETTL triggers and how pleased people are with them. And this go me to thinking that perhaps these Chinese manufacturers are starting to get their act together an produce some quality kit, yes they probably have ignored one or two patents along the way but we've come to expect that really.

I currently own the Phottix Strato II and they have been rock solid in performance, the build quality is there and they have the features.

And now Phottix and Yongnuo have got full wireless ETTL triggers and half the price or less of say the Pocket wizards, and they offer some better features. Sure pocket wizard do offer legacy compatibility and are an industry standard but that will change I feel as the Chinese knock off catch up and surpass the more established manufacturers.

Anyway I'm tempted to get a set of these YN622C, 60 for a set of triggers that will allow me to control a speedlight from the camera in ETTL/Manual/HSS that's pretty awesome.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:47 PM

I'm well impressed with my Yongnuo (non-ETTL) wireless triggers and a mega cheap Yongnuo Flash I bought. I'd be happy to buy other items from the same brand.

Britman
    7 Oct 2012 - 3:53 PM

I'm still a little unsure on the speedlights these companies produce after having a bad experience with the YN460's. I know they've improved but for now I'll be sticking with Canon's own speedlights because I know they work and give consistent output.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72150 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 4:13 PM

If I did more speedlite work I would definitely get the yongnuo ettl triggers, but most of my work now is with studio strobes so the RF 602 radio triggers do just fine.

Something I have seen on ebay, is a pocket wizard product that has compatability with Elinchrom's radio control strobe adjustment/trigger system,
    and I'm hoping yongnuo will start developing something similar, or something that will adjust both studio strobes and speedlites together.

duratorque
    duratorque  11412 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:24 PM

I know a tog who bought a set and he is so happy with them he is buying another two so he can work with three flash guns at the same time. I played with them briefly and the build quality is really good, almost OEM quality. I am also tempted.

User_Removed
    7 Oct 2012 - 8:27 PM

I don't know why folk are sceptical about cheap Chinese kit. I use the iShoot wireless flash triggers. From memory the sender unit and three slave units cost a total of about 14 including postage from China. They work absolutely perfectly.

The most amazing Chinese coup that I have experienced was when the Olympus OM-D that I bought secondhand on eBay arrived missing the wee plastic hot-shoe slide cover. I looked on eBay and found one in China that even had a spirit level bubble built in.

The cost? 99p including postage. The 99p was duly debited to my Paypal account and the item arrived about 9 days later. The postage was HK$2.50 which equates to about 30p I think. Add say 20p for the jiffy bag and they were churning out a perfect item (and presumably making a profit) for about 49p.

And let's not forget, of course, that a hell of a lot of the stuff that carries the brand names of the big Japanese and European manufacturers is actually made in China (or Thailand or Vietnam or Korea or similar).

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111900 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:10 PM

Quote: I don't know why folk are sceptical about cheap Chinese kit

In the UK we are taught to be brand consious alsost from the day we can choose for ourselves. Theres is also almost non stop marketing and advertising 24-7 that reinforces this thoughout our lives. Those who who have personalities that allow them to succomb to this marketing and advertising will always believe brand name is best and will question the quality of anything that does not have a brand name attached to them.n

I have had my Yongnuo ETTL wireless triger and other Chinese studio flash triggers for nearly three years and they have performed faultlessly and at dirt cheap prices. When they die I will purchase more Chinese triggers without hesitation.

Britman
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:24 PM

I will say one thing about these Chinese manufacturers, they do appear to listen to what the photography community has to say about their products and they seem to act on that and either add features or improve in the next version. But that's where legacy issues come in, each new version means upgrading all your triggers. Phottix is doing the right thing in making the Odin system compatible with the older Strato II trigger.
    Is the YN622C compatible with the rf602/3's, no. However you can just mount the rf602 (or any other dumb trigger) on the YN622C and it'll work.

User_Removed
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:29 PM

I'd get cheap Chinese triggers again too.

Not sure about cheap strobes though, prices are so tempting but the charges that build up in those things would make me wary about handling really cheap unbranded heads.

Britman
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:36 PM

Quote: I'd get cheap Chinese triggers again too.

Not sure about cheap strobes though, prices are so tempting but the charges that build up in those things would make me wary about handling really cheap unbranded heads.

for sure, the charge in these things is lethal.

bigalguitarpicker

I've got iShoot radio triggers too and I'm happy with them. YongNuo YN560 flash coming up next. I already have an SB 800, I want the YN 560 for lighting backdrops. I also have a JYC Intervalometer which I'm about to start using. I think it cost about 12 or 13.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.