Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"The Church of Fear" by John Sweeney

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:22 PM

I bought a book a couple of days ago - on the 7th January and I couldn't put it down - as the cliche goes...
    I finished it last night and reckon it is an absolute 'must read' for anyone interested in what is alleged to be the dark side of Scientology.
    The book is "The Church of Fear" by John Sweeney - yes the chap on the Panorama programme who completely "lost it".
    If you have a Kindle device you can download the book for a mere 3.20, though it's a fair bit more for the paperback version.
    John Sweeney has apparently done good work in several war zones across the world and won a Journalism award or awards.
    Having read his book, I can wholly empathize with his outburst - he believes he was deliberately provoked into 'losing it' by techniques used by Scientologists.
    Whatever the truth of the mass of allegations against Scientology, it has to be said that they come across as a bunch of people who feel very threatened by the truth and retaliate by following and intimidating anyone who investigates them - according to John Sweeney.

If these allegations are true, this group (don't call them a cult whatever you do) give me the heebie jeebies: I suppose the allegations, if true, merely reflect the sheer corruption of so many US values among the super-rich elite. Needless to say, we are importing much of this corruption in the UK.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jan 2013 - 6:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LVanDhal
    LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 10:11 PM

Anonymous have been making life difficult for Scientology for a few years now, worth a google, try "Anonymous Why we protest" or "Anonymous Vs Scientology"
    I remember John Sweenys documentary and maybe because I have suffered from bouts of mental ill health and have due to that, had to become very aware of peoples reactions, in order to consider how appropriate my own are, I felt watching what was caught on camera that the lack of any surprise from those he directed his anger at gave a clear indication that they were expecting it, and therefore had instigated the situation.
    Thanks for including the information about downloading the book, i have a bit of space left on my kindle and I fancy giving this ago.

gcarth
    gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 10:51 PM

Quote: I felt watching what was caught on camera that the lack of any surprise from those he directed his anger at gave a clear indication that they were expecting it, and therefore had instigated the situation.

I think you're absolutely right. The Scientologists are a litigious bunch and protect their interests with very expensive lawyers from what I've read but they don't appear to have any self-awareness of how silly they look with all their paranoia.
    In spite of Sweeney's 'losing it', I think Panorama still showed ample evidence of this Scientology silliness (if not juvenile behaviour): All this nonsense of having Sweeney and his investigation team followed... What have they got to hide? What has Miscavige got to hide?
    I find the Scientology bunch both hilariously funny but at the same time downright sinister - most unnerving...

Anyway, thanks for referring me to the "Anonymous Vs Scientology" website - I shall have a look at that.

My Regards

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.