Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Cliche Amnesty Thread

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 11:16 AM

We've all seen photos on here, driven to the same spot, found the tripod holes of the last photographer, taken the shot in the same style and posted them on here - these locations have become mainstays of the site.

This thread is for those with a sense of humour and a selection of said "cliche photos" - purge your sins and upload your most derivative shots to this thread - tell us where it is (as if we need to know), when you did it, why you did i and maybe even who you've copied, ahem, been inspired by

Wink

I've got LOADS.... my confession shall be a long one Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Jun 2010 - 11:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014814 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 11:18 AM

Dunstanburgh Castle and Eggs - Northumberland

I think the first shot of this I saw was from Mr henson way back in the annals of EPZ time.

I was on a shoot with Danny Brannigan, Steve Bowden and a few others - nearly broke my leg getting to the shooting point, but was worth it as I got the classic view, albeit without a sunrise

how....

5D - 24-105mm lens - polariser - 5 stops of ND grad

1-tn18097-1187905925.jpg

ah.... that's a bit small, but you get the idea Wink

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 16 Jun 2010 - 11:19 AM
ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 11:23 AM

Blea Tarn

This little beauty is between Great and Little Langdale in the Lakes, and has a handy car park about 300 yards from it, so is perfect for the lazy tog (like me).

I'd not actually seen this on EPZ before I took this shot way back when, but since then I've seen literally hundreds of it, with the compulsary boulders sticking out of the water, the Pikes in the background etc.

mcfade-images036.jpg

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 11:25 AM

here's one to kick off from me...I can add loads too Wink
Crosby Beach...inspired to go after seeing pictures put up by Ian (shutterspeed) I did the usual tripod hole shots like this

imgp3671.jpg

but was pleased with my take on the place.

imgp3507.jpg

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 11:28 AM

Malham Rakes Tree

Abour 4 years ago, a group of togs met at Malham for a morning shoot, one of them called Keith Henson found a tree (maybe he'd seen it before and was returning, who knows) and he posted a shot of it on the site.

Since then, it's been a right of passage of every landscape photographer on EPZ to come to this holy shrine and worship the tree - using a low tripod to accentuate the texture of the clints and grikes, maybe find the old branch sticking out of the stone to act as a foreground.

ideally you worship at sunrise - but sunset allows decent shots, the low light illuminating the tops of the rocks, causing shadows on the lower parts.

The Malham Tree... I love you!

ubiquitous-tree.jpg

Nickscape
Nickscape  8695 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 11:31 AM

I think this is my biggest sin, but also one of my favourite places!

Derwent Piers

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 11:35 AM

Milennium Bridge - Newcastle Quayside

Taken the same day we Dunstanburgh Castle on a jolly weekend with Danny, Sainty, Den, Marge and a load of others...

Had my Siggy 15-30mm in those days, so this one's using that, no filters, just a straight shot.

the quayside is a top place to shoot - not just cause of the architecture, but the geordies passing by - they're usually amusing and friendly, if not incomprehensible (Danny could translate for us though).

Maybe not the most cliche'd shot, you need to get the arch of this bridge aligned with the tyne bridge really, but it's certainly in the cliche ball park

mcfade-images039.jpg

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 11:41 AM

Round Straw Bale

This is still my most successful shot on EPZ and a print of it sits on a shelf at home.

it's taken next to the lightouse at Flamborough Head on the yorkshire coast.

Back when I was a 10D user - I'd finished doing the rocks and sea as the sun had abandoned the coast line, so was shooting the lightouse to finish off when I spotted there were about 5 round bales in the field

Back then I'd have used lots of ND and a polariser - then in Photoshop pushed the white balance up to 14000K I bet, though this was 5 years ago so can't rememebr.

Round Bales are pretty ubiquitous on the site in late summer/autumn - it's very hard to get something original from them, so I didn't try with this, just enjoyed the lighting

mcfade-images004.jpg

JohnParminter
16 Jun 2010 - 12:02 PM

I wish I could link the whole of my pf here but I can't find a way of doing it....

Smile

My biggest cliche shot(s) I guess Some Mountain in Scotland

I can do Blea Tarn as well

Last Modified By JohnParminter at 16 Jun 2010 - 12:08 PM
JamesGarfield
16 Jun 2010 - 12:11 PM

This is also my most successful picture that i've posted on here. It is of course Southwold pier, photographed by so many and still a very popular subject. It was my first outing with my LEE "Big Stopper". Ironically I don't think it represents the best work i've done but others seemed to like it.

5s1k5139fr.jpg

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
16 Jun 2010 - 12:37 PM

I tend to avoid cliches like the plague....

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jun 2010 - 12:45 PM

Quote: I tend to avoid cliches like the plague....

You can't often avoid them...everyone rushes to Nik's portfolio to find the cliches ...

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I tend to avoid cliches like the plague....

good for you...

kinda makes me wonder why you've come onto a thread about cliche's though Smile

Anyway - the next cliche...

POPPY FIELDS!

They're everywhere at the start of summer - the classic is to get low down and get the sun pouring through the red poppy making them really glow

This one was taken near Pontefract/Wakefield on a little B road I'd found - decided that the single red flower shot was trumped by this landscape style shot, so got the 17-40 on and fired away

18097-1182455384.jpg

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 12:54 PM

Quote: everyone rushes to Nik's portfolio to find the cliches ...

he's reasonably clean, but there's definitely a few he could add Wink

ade_mcfade
16 Jun 2010 - 1:01 PM

Another Place

Pete's already posted his - that's the idea of the thread, people browse the photos and think

oh - I've got a shot of that, I'll upload that Wink

Anyway - I'd taken the day off work, been shooting in Liverpool all day and went to Crosby for the first time ever to catch the sunset.

Inspired by the same people as Pete really - there was a bunch of locals putting shots of these statues up for a while back in 2006.

usual setup - wide lens, lots of filters, but not toooo mad on the saturation this time

54282-1161110457.jpg

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.