Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Critique Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014694 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 4:01 AM

Take it or leave it. Personally, I'll take it, and I'll tell you why; if I post an image in the general gallery, I may get comments, and I may get votes, but I may not. People view the gallery with different views on its purpose, and that's fine; I don't see a thing wrong with that. If you vote because you like the image, or you want to let a friend know you looked in, perfect, why not? Some people take a moment to make a comment on an image; to say it's nice, or maybe offer critique and/or suggestions; that's great, again, why not?

However, let's say I have an image that I think should be presented in a certain way, but I would like the opinion of an experienced observer on the image. Maybe I want to ask an opinion on a certain aspect of the image, such as composition, DOF, or anything; then the place for me to post that image is the Critique Gallery. I know I will get feedback, and I know it will be good, helpful feedback. Recently I have posted a good number of images in the Critique Gallery; I was looking for feedback on images I had taken with new kit, and I can asure you, it was excellent, thoughtful information that I received. Many did mods of my images to illustrate their points. I was so impressed by the interest shown by members of the Critique Team, and other photographers, that it has become a great source of learning for me, and I will continue to use it in the future; I think the Critique Gallery is one of the most helpful and rescourceful features ever introduced to the site.

Let's use it, and make sure it remains as it is.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Aug 2010 - 4:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

benlee
benlee  446 forum posts United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 6:48 AM

Yes - well said. Just the other day I uploaded an image to the critique gallery and in the resulting feedback was great. The image I uploaded was a good one, not great, with faults that I could see and I wanted to know whether these feelings were universal.

What I learn't is that everyone looks at a photo differently and the feedback from each commenter was slightly different - each pointing out and area for improvement or offering a suggestion for next time.

It was an invaluable experience and one I'll be continuing to help me grow as a photographer

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111541 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 6:58 AM

Quote: I think the Critique Gallery is one of the most helpful and rescourceful features ever introduced to the site.

I'm pleased that you have found an area of the site that you enjoy. Long may it continue.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 8:07 AM

I have also recieved very good advice on photographs in the past when posting to the critique gallery, an area of the site that should be recognised more

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93493 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
21 Aug 2010 - 8:32 AM

Straycat....but you have no images in the gallery !!!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 1:56 PM

The Gallery may provide an interesting insight into the way that other people 'see' (or perceive) your pictures.

Last Modified By Just Jas at 21 Aug 2010 - 1:56 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 2:28 PM

Thank you for your comments on the Critique Gallery, Denny. thumbs-up-light.jpg Ideally when people post to the CG they will, to quote from the guidelines, "Briefly try to point out what you were trying to achieve, and indicate any areas where you feel there is room for improvement."

It is a two-way street: the more you put in when uploading a photo, the more help you are likely to get.

I would encourage all members to have a go at critique. It is another two-way street: it can make you look at your own photography in a different light! Smile

Jestertheclown
21 Aug 2010 - 3:10 PM

I've been using the CG ever since this up/down voting malarky was introduced and voting became even more pointless than it already was.

It was the best move I could possibly have made.

Jester.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 6:39 PM

Quote: It was the best move I could possibly have made.

Same here...probably the one area of the site that i use consistently Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014694 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 7:13 PM

Quote: Straycat....but you have no images in the gallery !!!

You're right Mike, I deleted them recently, they wouldn't be of much use to anyone else, I was experimenting with new kit. However, all my needs were answered by the team.

Thanks

StrayCat
21 Aug 2010 - 8:34 PM

In another thread, a concern was mentioned about not wanting mods done on an image. Apart from stating a request when posting an image in the Critique Gallery, will mods still be permitted even if the mods box is not ticked?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 8:50 PM

Quote: will mods still be permitted even if the mods box is not ticked?

Yes - mods are always enabled on all uploads to the CG.

StrayCat
21 Aug 2010 - 9:41 PM

Thanks Chris.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 9:57 PM

Why?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Aug 2010 - 10:01 PM

Because CB wanted it that way.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.