Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Death of Photographic Portraiture

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 2:06 PM

Portraits and People must be up there as one of the most popular EPZ categories and yet a quick scan of the Readers Choice pages shows very few Photographic Portraits and just a proliferation of tweaked, brushed, diffused pictures that stopped being photographs a long time past.

So....have people stopped trying to improve photography and now rely on turning the bland into a silk purse?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2005 - 2:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 2:22 PM

Having no mates, I struggle for portrait subjects Smile

Just end up holding the cable release at arms length and shooting my mug..... not good.

Magda's done a great series of portaits from Crete recently, but not seen much else really - so I agree.

keithh
19 Jun 2005 - 2:24 PM

and Magda's are photographs...real photographs...with character and life.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 2:40 PM

And Magda is a professional with many years experience. Most of us amateurs are still learning and finding our feet. The tools available to play with probably hinder photography but accelerate image making. I've been using far less PS tools of late unless it involves severe manipulation. I really dont want to feel guilty about using PS and I'm still trying different things, but its still all about expermenting for me. However, the real achievement for me now is to upload something out of camera that I'm happy with.

keithh
19 Jun 2005 - 2:45 PM

Still learning and finding your feet is great, KB....I just think that in many cases PShoppery hinders any photographic learning and in some cases actually fools people into believing their hype and plauditery.

People like Magda learnt without PS and are better for it.
Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 2:54 PM

In my own case, PS, except for minor tweaks, seems to have worn off for me, and I'm concentrating much more on learning photography, but it ain't gonna come overnight. I got "John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide" recently, and it has made me realize just how little I know. Now I take it one step at a time and try to get it right. I use PS more to analyze my photos; see what I'm doing wrong, or, the odd time, right, and try to correct it. I just got the Nikon SB600 flash, and used it yesterday for the first time. I've only used built in flash before. I have a monumental task ahead, but that's what keeps it interesting and fun.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 2:59 PM

I personally reckon that anything more than 5 or 10 minutes in PS or PSP is too much for a photograph.

Some might say that my pictures reflect such scant treatment.

Probably so, but if they do then more time in PSP8 ain't going to improve them!

Which we probably are all agreed upon! Smile)

jas

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 3:01 PM

I use PS less now for some images but alot for others. Everytime I come to the forums these days I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I give up.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014207 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 3:01 PM

Much like shakin' it more than twice, Jas.

keithh
19 Jun 2005 - 3:03 PM

But that's the point, KB...not to give up but to continue to improve.
I don't have a problem with people using PS, I just wish that the real photographic work got the same recognition as the painted work.

answersonapostcard
19 Jun 2005 - 3:06 PM

I am trying! ;-0 I've been fully manual for a month or more too, learnt shed loads. To be honest though I have more of an issue with completely out of focus images getting more recognition than they should.

floreus
floreus  9106 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2005 - 3:07 PM

Well, how about Oistein's photo today. That received recognition in the form of an EC and that looks like superb traditional photography to me.

Just Jas
19 Jun 2005 - 3:16 PM

Well, keep at it K! Keith is suggesting that you look at what he calls 'the real photographic work' for inspiration and example.

Trouble is we need to recognise and identify it first!

'To sort the significant few from the insignificant many'

jas

answersonapostcard
19 Jun 2005 - 3:29 PM

Who says I dont! Both inside and outside ePZ I've found great inspiration.

Just Jas
19 Jun 2005 - 3:32 PM

We are saying keep up the good work, K.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.