Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Death of Photographic Portraiture

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keithh
keithh  1022788 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:03 AM

Quote: and it takes just as much skill to use it

Photoshop
Quote: really well as does being a great point of capture photographer

Nooooooooooooo......somebody shoot me.
Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jun 2005 - 1:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ljesmith
ljesmith  101092 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2005 - 1:04 AM

Here's a gun Keith, I'm next.

keithh
20 Jun 2005 - 1:13 AM

As soon as I finish this crop, Luke....it's all yours.
Smile
LOL

annaliese
annaliese  9421 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:18 AM

Thank you Keith,

I will hold my hand up and admit i'm not the greatest photographer lol, but i'm learning and experimenting and having fun along the way! My shots are in focus and carefully composed to the best of my ability. I'm not up my own A*** just because my click/comments have gone up, and some people don't think there justified, i've worked hard over the last couple of weeks, its not just about whacking some filters on..and i have plenty of straight shots in my portfolio.
And i have uploaded the original photo when i have been asked....I have nothing to hide and no illusions of greatness..i'm just trying to learn in my own way in my own time.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012544 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:23 AM

I pulled an image last night because I'd played with it in PS, gave it one of those 'painterly effects' but felt guilty because it wasnt a straight shot. Like Annaliese I do have some straight shots in my portfolio and still have my feet on the ground too. I know that some think I get too many awards but I've worked bloody hard to build up my skill and my portfolio.

snapbandit
snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:27 AM

Quote: I pulled an image last night because I'd played with it in PS

But is that not why we have a DIGITALLY MANIPULATED section of the gallery?

much of the problem may lie in photos/images just being uploaded to the 'wrong' category.

Joe B

UserHasLeft
20 Jun 2005 - 1:37 AM

Bloody hell, K.....stop letting people impose their will on you. Keith's just expressing an opinion and his main point is that there should be a clear distinction between an image and a photograph. Don't feel guilty about anything unless you are compromising your own beliefs.

Photoshop only replicates camera effects in theory and soon the cameras themselves will be photoshopping the images as you take them and then it will be acceptable.

covey
covey  91672 forum posts Ireland
20 Jun 2005 - 1:41 AM

Being a relative newcomer, I uploaded a series of Portraiture (mainly) unps'd images lately.

I did get some clicks/comments, for which I'm grateful, but the critique from which I had hoped to learn was very thin on the ground.

Still as an exercise in something different (for me), getting the courage to ask people to take their photograph, it was both of benefit and immensely enjoyable.

Something I'd both recommend and have a go at sometime again, even though it doesn't seem to have much appeal here.

T.

keithh
20 Jun 2005 - 1:47 AM

Flippin eck...no need for guilt...it's just that many of these 'images' are treated as being great photographs and quite clearly they are not...who knows, they may under all that slap be a great photograph too....but if you start with a great photograph you often end up with an even better manipulated one...quality continuation...n all that
Smile

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012544 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:50 AM

I agree with you Keith to a certain extent but this is far less of a worry for me than the hundreds of images that get RCs that are out of focus, poorly composed, overexposed (not intentionally either). False praise of these images is far more disconcerting that whether a good photograph has been played with. Off to take a chill pill Wink

ljesmith
ljesmith  101092 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2005 - 1:52 AM

Photography is a wonderful and easy medium for everybody to use, but if you have aspirations to take it beyond snapping you have to be prepared to learn it the right way around.
Start with learning the technical aspects of the camera, then learn to take good photographs, then learn to manipulate images in a controlled way.

This is the road to photographic nirvana.
Smile

answersonapostcard
20 Jun 2005 - 1:53 AM

My camera, a borrowed camera, works only on manual, no TV or AV settings work. I have to control it, and as a result have learnt a whole lot more.

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 1:56 AM

*whispers* is it film?
Shhhhhhh!

mark a.
mark a.  10920 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2005 - 2:00 AM

From Keith's original post:

Quote: ...a quick scan of the Readers Choice pages shows very few Photographic Portraits...

As the Readers' Choice depends on people clicking, maybe the question is not "Are people not taking good portraits any more?", but rather "Do people not like portraits any more?"

I agree with Keith's dislike for overly-manipulated shots, but we should first check that the argument's orginal assumptions are correct.

mikeweeks
mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2005 - 3:00 AM

Having watched a popular vote competition at our camera club i was not surprised to see the voting follow the same pattern as viewer clicks here on EPZ.

Look at the images that get EC, there is a wide variety of subject matter, including portraiture. It is also a shame that there is not an HC area, as i have seen some good portraits achieve this.

Try the portraiture search if you have e2 and mostly what you will see is nothing spectacular, often only happy snaps in my opinion. Good portraiture is an art and a skill that i feel many people are lacking in, for one reason because of the problem of encouraging people to sit for portraits. If you can get 1 or 2 good images that you can show other potential victims it is always a good start. Current media stories including Red Ken's signposts will not help.

Even better for a good laugh, compare most viewed and most voted for, lots of nudity in the most viewed but they do not always get the clicks. Some of the highly voted for images are in my opinion really great and often show a great deal of imagination - worth getting e2 to have this power to view, if it is good Pete usually spots it.

Mike

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.