Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Kris_Dutson
6 Aug 2010 - 12:51 PM

Nah, at least if you drop a magazine or book in the bath it just gets soggy.........Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Aug 2010 - 12:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Kris_Dutson
6 Aug 2010 - 12:54 PM

And I bet it can't cope with bright light on it.

And a book has no batteries to go flat.

And some of us just like the feel of a book.

Doesn't mean I might not invest 'tho.Wink

Kris_Dutson
6 Aug 2010 - 12:57 PM

Quote: Share meaningful passages with friends and family with built-in Twitter and Facebook integration.

No there's an oxymoron if ever I saw one.....

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 6 Aug 2010 - 12:58 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 1:02 PM

With the amount of time we spend infront of our computers, being able to focus on something which is not an LCD screen for a period of time is probbly good for our eyes

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 1:50 PM

You wouldn't want to leave one on the beach though would you.

going_digital

I have the sony e-reader that I bought with great enthusiasm due to the e-ink screen, it is very readable compared to LCD but ...

The screen is to small to be useful.
Almost all PDF books are formatted with wide margins that wastes half the screen.
The screen actually losses contrast when used on a hot day with the sun on it, it seems that it uses some form a thermal technology to turn the beads that is ineffective in sunlight.

So mine doesn't get used anymore.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 2:07 PM

I'm seeing more and more people on the train using e-readers and Kindles (unlike iPads you only ever see someone use them to read a book once - think they must be too heavy/too expensive to sit on the Tube with).

I can't say the idea particularly appeals to me - it seems to have disadvantages over a real book like cost,charging,worry about damage/losing it, media format issues, dropping it in the bath, rain and no killer advantage AFAICS.

User_Removed
6 Aug 2010 - 2:38 PM

More likely they want to impress their fellow passengers with the new technology they bought.................

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 2:44 PM

Quote: More likely they want to impress their fellow passengers with the new technology they bought.................

I think that's true for the ipad users, but the e-readers do seem to actually be being used.

I assume the ipad comes loaded with Winnie the Pooh as a free book, either that or Chapter one of it is a really good read as that is all you ever see anyone reading.

lobsterboy
6 Aug 2010 - 3:23 PM

Watched the video, looks pretty good - I think you NEED one Wink

I take it they only do B&W ?

James_G
James_G  7166 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 4:14 PM

Blimey, this is one of the most popular old myths around at the moment. No, print is not over. In fact, it's very much part of the future along with the internet, electronic media etc. I don't know where anyone else goes but I travel daily on packed trains and tubes in London and you see some poseur pretending to read on a Kindle about once every five days. Everyone else settles down with a newspaper or a book. The reason print will survive is that it is so much more convenient and easier to use, then Kindles, iPads etc. No charging, no internet connection needed, it never hangs, no one gets robbed for their copy of the Daily Telegraph, it doesn't cost hundreds of pounds, you don't need IT support to read the thing and when you've finished you just chuck it away. In Britain we publish more books now than ever; globally newspaper circulation rose by 9% last year. People who love books and reading don't use Kindles. They are for the non-readers, which is fine and best of luck to them, but no one who loves literature, reading and words reads on a screen. No one.
The printed page is the interface of the future. There's nothing else that compares.

keith selmes
6 Aug 2010 - 5:55 PM

I expect I'll find a use for this sort of thing. Trouble is, the way I use paper, I'm going to have an awful lot of half open Kindles spread around the desk.

User_Removed
6 Aug 2010 - 6:31 PM

I have been messing with a Kindle for a few months and for what it is it's pretty good. But as for replacing printed media, no. One day I expect printed media will be as rare as eBooks are now. But I feel it's many years away really. I for one much prefer printed media and will print large documents emailed to me too.

We use about 3500 eBooks in the college library and they are used a lot but not as much as the 65,000 printed books we have.

User_Removed
6 Aug 2010 - 6:36 PM

Quote: On the Kindle I'll be able to increase the text size of my book. Often when watching TV in bed I want to look something or someone up on Wikipedia but don't want to get the laptop out. I'd do that with the Kindle. Free 3G and Wi-Fi.

I think you have found the best use for it there Chris. For reading technical manuals etc it's pretty good, like a website really and maybe better than a printed book. But, I still would prefer the book I think.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2010 - 6:48 PM

I have an iPad.

Yep, I do read books on it. It's not as "normal" as reading a physical book, but when travelling it is great to have a whole library with just the bulk/weight of the iPad.

I did think about the Kindle but did not like the fact that at the time it had to be bought from the US and some of the reports of problems not being well dealt with, but I like the iPad for showing images as well. This has really been the killer" application for most people that I have shown it to.

I know there have been issues with the iPad as well, much as I like Apple stuff I am not ignorant to the limitations.

I don't think that these signal the end of print just yet, but if you need access to many books and don't have room to carry the bulk of more than one book in your laptop bag or whatever then it really is a great step forward.

I downloaded some of the sample papers, but did not find them that great. Shame none of the papers are prepared to offer a 1 week free download so that you can see if it works for you. I have to say the book samples are great for deciding if the style of book and content works in the e-format. Not all do!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.