Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
7 Aug 2010 - 1:13 PM

I agree James.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Aug 2010 - 1:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
7 Aug 2010 - 2:01 PM

Quote: I love music, but to hell with my mp3 player, If I really love music then I need to be buying vinyl!

I would agree with that too.

keith selmes
7 Aug 2010 - 2:16 PM

A love of literature and a love of books are not quite the same thing.
Literature is the content, books are the technology.
As per Straycat, there's an awful lot of free literature at project Gutenberg.
You can choose whether to get the content on screen, ereader, printout, paperback, hardback, whatever. Or even a sound recording.
The content stays the same, the medium is a personal choice.

Books were new once

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2010 - 7:30 PM

Quote: Well you can have different readers on the iPad. I have the iBooks and Kindle for iPad and also downloaded a free app that has most classic books that are out of copyright for free.

I think that the multiple reader format is one of the key advantages of the iPad over the specific e-readers which have a bespoke format.

I don't know where that info came from Cheryl, I have never had a problem with formats on my Sony, and I have many types on my reader. I don't have to make any adjustments myself, just download the book.

As far as fiddling with type and whatever, I didn't know that could be done. I just open a book, select the size print I want, and read. I have never read as much as I have with my reader, I have over 1400 books on mine, including the SD card, Which includes quite a few collections of short stories that I'm sometimes in the mood to read.

Like any new idea, it will continue to improve, but if you dig deep looking for problems, I'm sure you can find them. As I said earlier, I would like to have backlighting for certain situations, and it's already available, but not what I want.

I would encourage anyone who's interested to download Calibre, a library management program, freeware. The proprietary software, and Adobe Editions, are all geared toward ebook sales online, and will not allow you to download certain free books. I've tried them all, and Calibre is by far the best, check out the review in CNET. Remember, you can read on your PC also.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2010 - 7:36 PM

Yep already downloaded Calibre as well.

I'm not sure what the other e-readers can do, but I presumed that the amazon kindle may be "locked" to the amazon store, much as many presume the iPad is limited to the ibooks store, it's not.

Like many I've not read as much for a long time as I have since getting an e-reader. Of course I still buy normal reference books as well, it depends if I think I need the book whilst working away or not.

StrayCat
7 Aug 2010 - 7:44 PM

As you may have seen already with calibre, you can export in whatever format you need. I use EPUB for the simple reason it seems to require the least memory.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013936 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2010 - 7:57 PM

I see that word on the street is that there might be 5" & 7" ipads coming out soon... a kindle sized ipad might be irresistible.

StrayCat
8 Aug 2010 - 12:39 AM

But it's still an Apple product Chris. You probably have white lenses too.Tongue

StrayCat
8 Aug 2010 - 12:45 AM

By the way, there are several different brands of 7 inch pads on the market that do everything the ipad does and more. They have the Google OS, and they are also ereaders, for around $125.00 USD.

StrayCat
8 Aug 2010 - 4:12 AM

Quote: The screen is to small to be useful.
Almost all PDF books are formatted with wide margins that wastes half the screen.
The screen actually losses contrast when used on a hot day with the sun on it, it seems that it uses some form a thermal technology to turn the beads that is ineffective in sunlight.

So mine doesn't get used anymore.

That's a shame. Download Calibre from the web, free, as I've already pointed out; set your model of reader as the default, set the export format to EPUB, and it should fit the page with no problem. I had some books when I first got my Sony, and they didn't fit the page, and Sony software and Adobe didn't resize it, but Calibre does.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 8 Aug 2010 - 4:12 AM
magnus
magnus  9661 forum posts United Arab Emirates5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Aug 2010 - 5:12 AM

I recently purchased an ebook reader - it is neither Kindle nor Sony, and it will read any of the commonly used formats. It is very light, very portable, easy to read even in intense sunlight so it's great for travelling - no need to carry a supply of bulky paperbacks.

But for me, the deal clincher is that if I want to purchase a particular book - especially one newly released, I can buy it and begin reading immediately. In this part of the world it is common to wait for 6 weeks for a book that you ordered - often it doesn't arrive at all. This is particularly frustrating when you are part way through a series of books. I like the ability to get the book that I want - and get it NOW.

RichBrew
RichBrew  3151 forum posts England
8 Aug 2010 - 11:17 AM

What ever technology or media you prefer, it is a fact: print the way we know it is on its way out. This is borne out by the number of print firms closing down - a trend that is continuing. Magazine sales are down and revenue from advertising in these publications is drying up as advertisers move to online outlets. Even book printers are being hit as demand falls during the current climate. St Ives, once the UK's biggest printing firm, last year went into the red with a pre-tax loss of 7.2 million and 400 jobs.

It has been acknowledged in the business for the last ten years or so that print is a dying trade. The good times are long gone. Many of the titles I used to print no longer exist, and the ones that do have had their print runs significantly reduced. That, plus rising paper and other material costs are beginning to make publishers seek alternatives. Customers are also becoming keener in projecting a greener image. Some of the chemicals used in the offset litho printing process are less-than-environmentally-friendly.
I still feel, however, that the printed word will still exist in some form or another for a good many years to come, but in a greatly reduced capacity.

RichBrew

User_Removed
8 Aug 2010 - 1:29 PM

I'll continue to browse the second hand book market.

ebooks maybe fine for some, but i'm happy to settle down with a good book and relax with it and a cup of coffee and some nibbles.

Each to their own.

And if printed books don't exist in 20 years, it won't bother me, cos i won't be here, mentally or physically.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93426 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2010 - 10:33 PM

I've just taken delivery of one as a gift for my mum (no danger she's going to see this thread), and was really impressed. I thought at first that the plastic screen protector was printed, but I turned the device on before removing it, and it all changed on me! Turns out that it's just really, really convincing, and very comfortable to look at Smile

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Sep 2010 - 10:51 PM

From what I have seen on the Kindle the quality is superb.
Certainly the way forward for newspapers

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.