Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

From my reading they are using illumination from the top to brighten the display in the Kindle Paperwhite? I think I'd want to see it for real, i.e. to see whether the illumination is evenly spread over the page.

The most recent firmware update to the Kindle has increased contrast a bit, anyway.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
12 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

I ordered a Paperwhite yesterday, so I'll tell you on the 26th Wink

User_Removed
26 Dec 2012 - 12:54 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20837502

Things moving faster than even I thought they would!!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 5:00 AM

I wish them well. I've been getting a few mags online for a couple years; it's convenient, and much cheaper, but it just isn't the same.

Denny

keith selmes
26 Dec 2012 - 9:31 AM

I have bought 2 or 3 magzines this year on impulse, but afterwards I wondered why I bothered.
I can get more content from the web, on PC or tablet.

But I'm still reading and buying real books. I have found I can get into a book on my tablet alright, which I couldn't on Kindle, but I'd automaticaly go for a real book if the choice is there.

There is this quote on a BBC article, which says there is a huge increase in ebook sales, and a tiny downward trend in physical book sales.

"There's a good deal of uncertainty about what will happen on Boxing Day 2012 when a few million people open up their tablet and think 'What am I going to buy on it?'."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19626076

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 2:05 PM

I recently purchased a tablet that looks like being redistricted to the few free apps being as Google doesn't accept debit cards, credit cards only, that I wont use.
Kindle are more than happy with debit cards thankfully leaving lots of reading without having books (paperbacks) lying around that more than often get disposed of one way or another.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
26 Dec 2012 - 2:21 PM

"few free apps" ?? I've got 3 android devices packed with apps, and I've only paid for two of them.. (the apps, that is)

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2012 - 5:34 PM

Restricted in the sense of them being of any use to me Wink

scruffytrafford

There is nothing like the expectation of reading a book, I feel I spend too long on a computer screen anyway so I can't see that wanting to read a book on a screen would fill me with the same expectation, I enjoy looking and musing through old book shops and charity shops for books, a book tells a story long before it has been read, it I strongly feel can never be replaced.
The smell of a new book the crisp pages that have never been opened have an appeal that no Kindle or eReader could ever replace. Words are knowledge and the I think the best way to enjoy that knowledge is to to be able to read them from a paper book.
You can have a collection of books and they can decorate your home and it tells people things about you, it revels the type of things you like and are interested in, you can lend and borrow books, and there is nothing more tranquil than spending an hour or so in the library looking and reading a proper paper book.
Just my thoughts, but we are all different, I buy what I enjoy, not what every one else has, because it is meant to be the in thing Smile

paulcookphotography

I love to have books, i have shelves and boxes full of them. I love the feel of them. But since i got my first iPad and Kindle, the vast majority of books and magazines i buy are in digital format

I live in the countryside, with the nearest place selling (a very limited stock of) books being a trip away, and the cutbacks meaning the library is rarely open. Online, i can get hold of a book 24/7 and be reading it almost straight away. Obviously when it comes to big glossy photography books and coffee table style reference books, i prefer them as a nice hardback and i have a few old, signed or first editions, but anything else (pretty much), give me digital any day!

I notice a few folks going on about how print will outlast digital due to format changes and technology developments (such as floppy disks being obsolete and changes in USB, for example), but print has one big downfall. I have searched for books (in print) and later discovered that they are out of print, and only to be found at jumble sales or second hand book stores if you are very lucky. But wait, oh look, there is a digital version available, or a PDF at least!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 7:22 PM

Our house is full of books as both Pam and I can't go past a book shop without looking in to see what's new (or a used book shop to see what we don't have in our collections. )

I've got SciFi books on my shelves going back to the '50s (had a first edition Edgar Rice Burroughs but some rat borrowed it and never returned it, so they don't get lent out now).

I had one book on my tablet, readable but no good in the bath Wink and it lacked the feel of a real book.

Print will never die in our household! Grin

Last Modified By brian1208 at 27 Dec 2012 - 7:22 PM
keith selmes
27 Dec 2012 - 7:34 PM

Regarding out of print books, one reason I have for using a tablet is that many old books can be found cheap or free in pdf, where the original might cost more than the tablet. And especially when they are reference books, having them in electronic format on the tablet and PC can be very useful. I'd rather have the real book, but a pdf is more feasible.

Last Modified By keith selmes at 27 Dec 2012 - 7:36 PM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
27 Dec 2012 - 8:33 PM

Quote: And especially when they are reference books, having them in electronic format on the tablet and PC can be very useful. I'd rather have the real book, but a pdf is more feasible.

That makes sense Keith (and I do something similar I must confess, particularly manuals and the like) although I did keep the handbooks for both my 1935 3 wheel BSA Scout (my first ever car - what a beast!) and 1946 Vincent Black Shadow (series B if I remember rightly) for around 40 years before finally passing them on to owners of both machines only a few years back - you can't do that with a .pdf, not with the authentic greasy thumb-print on the clutch page of the Vinnie anyway Wink

Last Modified By brian1208 at 27 Dec 2012 - 8:37 PM
User_Removed
31 Dec 2012 - 12:34 PM

Future generations will stop the practice of hacking down trees, turning them into bleached paper, impregnating the paper with ink then moving lorryloads of the things on palettes around the country so that people can read the stories in them Smile

brian1208
31 Dec 2012 - 3:28 PM

Good for them, instead they can dig up and extract rare earth metals and other limited, non-renewable minerals, use energy to turn these into devices to read the digital print that seems to be so critical to saving the planet Wink

In the meantime - I will stick to my old ways, safe in the knowledge that at least I had the chance to read the original, fulll texts of resources such as Chem Abs and other endangered source materials that will in future only exists as digitised extracts.

Then, when the earth is hit by a really energetic solar flare and all the digital readers are rendered useless all that information garnered over the centuries will be lost and I shan't be here to say "I told you not to do aways with print! " Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.