Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 - 3:56 PM

Quote: Print versions of best sellers are likely to cost more too.

...not for me ...since I retired 10 years ago, the most I've paid for a book is 10p. these being sold off at my local library where I can borrow the books of my choice completely FREE of charge.

The public library represents almost as good value as EPZ.

I read a book a week, 2 a week when I'm on holiday, I dread the thought of loading a Kindle with six books prior to going on holiday and then it crashes on the first day...what a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Dec 2012 - 3:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 - 4:08 PM

Quote: you can download books for free with a membership to any library in the world.

I'm gonna' check this out at my local library....If it's true, which I doubt Smile I'm buying a Kindle.

....Mike

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315596 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2012 - 4:30 PM

My local library has downloadable books, but...
a) they use DRM and are only valid for 3 weeks
b) they don't support Kindles (which is bloody stupid)

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 5:02 PM

That was the main reason I bought a Kobo Bri lots of free library books. And it would look to be that not all the books time out. You can just extend the books. I guess DRM is an issue but they need some way of controlling the books and Amazon could choose to make the Kindles support the standard.

Last Modified By strawman at 31 Dec 2012 - 5:04 PM
ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 5:47 PM

As a Dyslexic i thought I could give people the benefit of my thoughts, e Books have made my reading so much more possible. I have owned a Kindle for the last 2 years and with its variations in print and style I can have books in a format which helps me read. This Christmas a treated myself to a paperwhite and it has improved things again, however print will always be there for me and everybody else for I like to feel paper and it is still the easiest way I find of having things explained to me for I can just read it again and again flicking forward and back without the need to remember what's where and were did I write my notes?

I can hear the cries off get a tablet, iPad etc well like many in this world and perhaps in this community my money goes on useful things like cameras, lenses, software and big monitors to help my poor old eyes see my handy work.

Hurrah for Kindle and all its children
Long live the printed word. GrinGrin

Eric Grin

User_Removed
31 Dec 2012 - 8:47 PM

Quote: In the meantime - I will stick to my old ways

Brian you should go back to stone tablets and tapestries for the authentic story-reading experience. I suppose you print ePz out because you prefer to read from paper? Or maybe, in reality, you and the others who are anti-ebook are in actual fact quite good at reading from screen Grin

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110309 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 10:20 PM

I got me a tablet but darn me if it weren't made out of plastics stuff Tongue

Its not a question if being unable to read from the screen but of not wanting to see books disappear both from the emotive sense that I love to handle a good book and enjoy the process of reading from one much more than from a screen and, to me, more importantly, I believe we should keep the original documents as source material rather than having everything abridged to fit on the web / screen.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014854 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2012 - 10:24 PM

Strawman (John), which model of Kobo did you get? I have the Kobo Glo, and it is so easy to read with that light. I've had 6 Sonys and one Kindle, and this little reader is superior by far for comfort, and ease of use. Almost every night I read it in bed with no lights on, easy on the eyes.Smile

With an ereader, I'm not stuck with feeling I have to read a book just because I bought it. In some cases I might start 10 books before I find one I want to finish. The Kobo saves all my spots in all the books, and when I view the books on the reader on the PC with Calibre, it shows me which books I've started, and which books I've finished.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 31 Dec 2012 - 10:29 PM
strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2013 - 9:32 PM

Quote: Strawman (John), which model of Kobo did you get?

Hi I bought a touch a few months back before the glow came out but I cannot complain it was at a low price and works well. The choice of fonts are good and it is easy to use. The Glo looks to be very similar and I can imagine for evening use that glow screen works well.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014854 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2013 - 1:04 AM

Yes, the screen is excellent, I use the light all the time, highly recommend it. I looked at your model also, and the price was good, almost bought it. I think its easier to use than the Sonys I've been using for about 3 years, and it's way ahead of the Kindle that I had home for a tryout. Are you using Calibre with it?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.