Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 12:45 AM

Don't forget Project Gutenberg for thousands of free classics.

Has anyone tried the new Kindle, $139.00 USD. It's been advertised on TV over here for awhile. Chris, if you can find Still Life With Crows I think you'll like it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Sep 2010 - 12:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RichBrew
RichBrew  4151 forum posts England
4 Sep 2010 - 8:32 AM

How ironic that Guttenberg's name should be applied to an electronic book format, thus contributing to the demise of printed books - the very thing he introduced to the world in its modern form.
Oh, well.

RichBrew

keith selmes
4 Sep 2010 - 9:55 AM

The original Gutenberg invention brought about the demise of expensive had written scrolls and books and revolutionized the spread of learning and knowledge through new technology.
So Project Gutenberg seems a very appropriate name.

On the other hand, people don't seem to have given up on hard copy. Does anyone here not have their own printer at home ?
And never use one at work ?
Most of us have our own printing press now, only we don't need to print absolutely everything.

I recently heard one of the complaints from current university students - not enough books in the library. This is supposed to be generation web.
So I don't think books have really gone away, but we do have rapid access to vast libraries of texts that we previously would have had trouble finding.
And if we want to print one of these texts, or an extract, we can choose when and how. Its vastly liberating.

RichBrew
RichBrew  4151 forum posts England
4 Sep 2010 - 2:50 PM

Quote: Does anyone here not have their own printer at home ?
And never use one at work ?
Most of us have our own printing press now, only we don't need to print absolutely everything.

No, I don't have a printer at home. However, I do use one constantly at work: a Heidelberg Speedmaster 102.
Incidentally, a press, by definition, applies pressure to produce an image.

RichBrew

StrayCat
4 Sep 2010 - 6:20 PM

I don't see much difference in what digital books and the like and digital photography, in regards to impact. With digital photography I, and many others, are taking thousands of photos we never would have with film. The ability to learn has increased for everyone because of such easy access. Digital print is doing the same, albeit still in its infant stages. I never would have read any of the books I've read on the ereader over the past 6 months, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Most of us live in towns or cities where we can hop to the bookstore at any time we want to and pick up a new book or magazine, however, what about the millions who don't have that luxury? With digital they can have what they want, when they want, it's one of those truly helpful technologies.

I recently conducted a little experiment of my own on how I would feel about the real deal or digital, given the choice without prejudice. I have a book that I had partially read before I got the ereader, and I also have the same book on the ereader. I decided to compare reading both; the ereader won hands down for comfort and convenience, so I will finish the book in digital form. It's subjective, I know, but digital and film can also be compared the same way.

One Kindle 3 will hold 3500 digtital books, multiply that by the number of people who will eventually own one, and how many trees and other natural resources will be saved; and that's only one model of one brand.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 6:31 PM

Quote: One Kindle 3 will hold 3500 digtital books, multiply that by the number of people who will eventually own one, and how many trees and other natural resources will be saved; and that's only one model of one brand.

Paper mainly comes from sustainably grown softwood forests. Now, what about all the resources involved in making an ebook? All the rare metals, the solvents and water used in production? Not to mention the oil that goes to make the plastics, the power required for all the various manufacturing processes.... Suddenly 3,500 paper books don't seem quite so environmentally damaging, do they?

Last Modified By joolsb at 4 Sep 2010 - 6:34 PM
StrayCat
4 Sep 2010 - 6:49 PM

I think they do Jools. The sustainable forests depend upon the land being restored to its former state, which is not the case.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 8:24 PM

Quote: The end of print

Hopefully not ! !

The quality of paper, print and content of the fairly recently revamped monthly "British Journal Of Photography" magazine is just a pleasure to pick up and read.

However, I still check out their website quite regularly to keep up-to-date on all the latest news etc.

davereet
davereet e2 Member 9197 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
4 Sep 2010 - 8:42 PM

I bought a Sony E-book and I thought it was the Bees knees for 21 months then it went wrong (no bumps or dunkings it just went screwy).
Sony wanted 176 to fix, it only cost 135 to buy, won't be buying any sony products again.
But I liked the thing so much I have ordered a Kindle Smile

Dave

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Infact Jools, why don't you ask a mod to remove your comment? It sounds as if you're suggesting that more water and power will be used in the production of one Kindle than in the production of three and a half thousand paper books. People will read what you said and may conclude that you're a fool.

I can't believe you seriously meant that?

OK, Chris, since you are, in effect, calling me a 'fool', why don't you show me some figures?

I don't like people making veiled insults.

User_Removed
4 Sep 2010 - 10:00 PM

You seriously think the kindle is less environmentaly friendly than paper books?

trololololololol.

- Sounds like crap a doomed publisher would produce to try to save the inherent collapse of their business now that authors can distribute privately and easily to E-Readers for minimal fees.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 4 Sep 2010 - 10:03 PM
triumphv8
triumphv8  6450 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Sep 2010 - 12:18 AM

So from the links, not exactly proven then, and then probably only if you keep the your e-reader for several years and read more than 10 books per year.

Last Modified By triumphv8 at 5 Sep 2010 - 12:20 AM
Snapper
Snapper  93711 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 12:27 AM

Quote: Why the Kindle is good for the planet
Manufacturing impact of a Kindle is thought to be 200 MJ and 12 kg of co2

Without getting too far into an ongoing debate, I find it pretty amazing that the 200MJ and 12 KG of CO2 figure doesn't come with any kind of supporting reference whatsoever in that article. As a scientist, I'd dismiss an unsupported claim out of hand.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 12:46 AM

another set of figures

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.