Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 1:00 AM

Quote: another set of figures

And a very different set at that, particularly that:- Books use a total 15.2 MJ of energy and 4.47 kg of CO2. Kindles use a total 2615.5 MJ of energy and 512.2 kg CO2 emissions. This means that approximately 172 books would use the same amount of energy as one Amazon Kindle, and 115 books would produce the same amount of CO2 as one Amazon Kindle.

Now 2615.5 MJ and 512.2 Kg CO2 is a long way away from the earlier quote of 200MJ and 12 kg of CO2, but I agree the quoted equivalence of books is obviously less than 3,500. Now just bring me a proper validated scientific survey and I might have a real opinion!

Last Modified By Snapper at 5 Sep 2010 - 1:01 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Sep 2010 - 1:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

triumphv8
triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Sep 2010 - 1:02 AM

Chris - No - but I don't think that a Kindle replaces 3500 books, it replaces the books that one person would buy in the Kindle's lifetime which could be as low as 20 or so.

LensYews
LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 1:16 AM

Quote: Now just bring me a proper validated scientific survey and I might have a real opinion!

I don't have access to the online databases of the papers anymore, but I'm sure they are out there.

But I also don't have an opinion on this, I was just curious given the direction the conversation was going earlier. I like paper books, and have a Kindle on order. I see them as serving two different needs. I also can't really see myself buying 172 books during the lifetime of a Kindle, which might not be much more than 2 years, but I do intend downloading the project gutenburg CD archive and adding some of those to the kindle.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014803 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 1:47 AM

I have a Sony ereader, and came very close to getting a Kindle last night, but I was out bid at the last moment.Tongue However, having researched the new Kindles, I don't like the proprietary tone that Amazon has taken with it. So, today I went out and bought another Sony.Smile Now I'm saving twice as much.Wink Actually, I bought it for my granddaughter's 11th birthday. That makes 3 of the Sony's I've purchased within about 6 months.

I have never read so much in my life, and I'm really enjoying it. I downloaded an English translation of the Qu'ran last night, just to see what it's all about.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 5 Sep 2010 - 1:49 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014803 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 2:26 AM

Chris, bookmark this one; Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab....outstanding!!! Or the new word here now is Awesomer!Wink

Last Modified By StrayCat at 5 Sep 2010 - 2:28 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 8:24 AM

Quote: Jools suggested otherwise when he said: "Paper mainly comes from sustainably grown softwood forests. Now, what about all the resources involved in making an ebook? All the rare metals, the solvents and water used in production? Not to mention the oil that goes to make the plastics, the power required for all the various manufacturing processes.... Suddenly 3,500 paper books don't seem quite so environmentally damaging, do they?"

Let's look at this.

resources used for books:
- growing enough wood to maturity (admittedly this uses a lot of water and land)
- water and power for processing of trees into paper
- printing
- transportation

resources for an average electronic device:
- silicon (inc. costs of processing raw materials and growing the crystals)
- other rare earth metals for batteries etc. (also inc. of ore processing)
- toxic solvents used in the various production processes (inc. their safe disposal when no longer required)
- plastics for outer casing and casings for internal components (inc. costs for crude oil production and processing into raw plastic)
- packaging (more plastics)
- power and water used for all of the above

Now, it may not be equivalent to as much as 3500 books (but then I didn't make that precise claim, did I?) but I'd guess the true number would be higher than you'd think. Probably more than the average number of books most people are likely to use it to read.

Last Modified By joolsb at 5 Sep 2010 - 8:25 AM
dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
5 Sep 2010 - 9:18 AM

Runs on fresh air does it?

You'd be rather pee'd off if you was out in your tent and the thing broke.

It might be very good but wont be around or compatible for the next 500 years

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 11:02 AM

Two things spring to mind:

1) The xerox copier machine - instead of a few carbon copies of really important memos being circulated a few thousand of xerox copies of lesser importance memos were circulated to long suffering staff.

2) The computer + printer - reams and reams and reams of printer paper emerging from the dread device contributing to a vastly over saturated information glut.

One good device?

The paper shredder! Wink

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 11:21 AM

We remain far too dependant on paper, and are still destroying acres of Forest to meet the demand.
It seems that we are unlikely to have sufficient energy to meet our future needs (eg. devices need power, and need to be recharged)

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 12:56 PM

Quote: We remain far too dependant on paper, and are still destroying acres of Forest to meet the demand.
It seems that we are unlikely to have sufficient energy to meet our future needs (eg. devices need power, and need to be recharged)

I'm not convinced of this since the trees are being grown specifically for the paper market, so who knows what would take over the areas if they weren't planted with trees? The other thing to remember is that trees are actively consuming CO2 for at least part of their lifetime and generating oxygen back into the atmosphere, but again you'll find that the studies vary in their end results.

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
5 Sep 2010 - 6:14 PM

Quote: David, FWIW, My Kindle's displaying a recipe at the minute and it's using no power whatsoever.

so if its using NO power how does it display?

Quote: It seems that we are unlikely to have sufficient energy to meet our future needs

What do you mean the future? That's why we have wind turbines as we didn't support future energy needs in the past.

Quote: We remain far too dependant on paper, and are still destroying acres of Forest to meet the demand.

Which is better....a source that can be replaced or one that cant.....oil/coal/gas?

LensYews
LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 6:47 PM

Quote: so if its using NO power how does it display?

e-ink displays are formed of pixels which are black on one side and white on the other, and changed by passing an electric charge through them. So one they are in the position, they will stay there until the page is refreshed whether the unit's power is on or off.

MikeA
MikeA  91173 forum posts England
5 Sep 2010 - 8:11 PM

Quote: I preordered one of the new generation Kindles from Amazon last week. Amazon have just launched their new UK Kindle store. Not only can commuters carry a Kindle instead of a book to read on the tube, they can get magazines or their daily paper beamed to it wirelessly.

This is the beginning of the end for printed media?

Surely this is you trying to justify spending silly moneyWink

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 9:36 PM

You can't donate an ebook to your local charity shop when you've finished with it.

Kris_Dutson
5 Sep 2010 - 11:01 PM

You wouldn't want to swat a wasp with one either.......

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.