Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 11:45 PM

The end of print has been predicted for about 30 years now. But books are still very popular and there is no shortage of people wanting to write them.

Electronic readers have their place and will co-exist with books. The problem is that such readers have built in obsolescence: new models will come out and people will feel left behind if they don't upgrade.... the same as with mobile phones, MP3 players and the like.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Sep 2010 - 11:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 12:07 AM

Quote: So that's why those word processors never caught on and we stayed with the typewriter.

In a sense, we have done just that. I'm using a QWERTY keyboard............... are you? Grin

With the Kindle we are not talking about one machine supplanting another but replacing paper with a machine.

When the computer age started to take off, paper companies feared for their future. In fact, they did very well - because people just will not ditch their printers! Wink

Carabosse
6 Sep 2010 - 12:58 AM

Quote: So the thing you just typed is that onto paper or a screen?

Doesn't matter! We are still, in general, tapping away on keyboards similar to ones used back in the 1870s! The mechanisms have changed, and we don't type direct onto paper (but still print out quite a bit), but fundamentally little has changed.

I'm sure electronic readers have their place - especially for pulp fiction etc. But I know several book enthusiasts and they regard the idea of these readers ever totally replacing books as laughable. They go on about the "feel" of a book in your hands etc etc.

I would consider getting one of these devices when the price dives down low enough! But, after the initial novelty, I suspect it might well gather dust in a cupboard.........

Carabosse
6 Sep 2010 - 1:15 AM

Maybe I'd be more keen if I needed glasses for reading! grin-light.jpg Perhaps I will do, one day................in the dim and distant future. tongue-light.jpg

But, for those needing reading glasses, I can see it must be a boon to be able to increase print size on a Kindle (or whatever) and avoid having to scrabble around for your specs.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014715 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 1:39 AM

I am hugely against many things that I don't have also.Wink

Carabosse
6 Sep 2010 - 1:49 AM

I have a slight resistance to things I feel I won't use after the initial excitement of ownership! Wink

I have developed this resistance through costly experience over the years..... Sad

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 11:39 AM

I have a low-end Sony Reader. I find it great to be able to turn pages with only the flick of a thumb, stop whenever you want and start off where you were, have a couple of books on the go at once: and occasionally boost the print size when the eyes get tired. When more and more choice of material becomes available for it and prices go down a bit it'll be better and better..

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 1:04 PM

I love technology and, given how much I read, have no doubt that I will eventually travel everywhere armed with a reader. Before I do however, they need to:

- be powered by light (artificial or solar, like my Citizen watch)
- be readable in all lighting conditions
- allow books to be loaded at my local library (4 week licence)

Smile

digicammad
6 Sep 2010 - 1:10 PM

Quote: But I know several book enthusiasts and they regard the idea of these readers ever totally replacing books as laughable. They go on about the "feel" of a book in your hands etc etc.

The same was said about vinyl when CDs came out.

Carabosse
6 Sep 2010 - 1:11 PM

There seem to be a large number of ebook formats and, if you look at the table at the end of this article, there appear to be significant incompatibilities.

That's something else which, perhaps, needs to be sorted out (VHS v. Betamax anyone? Wink)

keith selmes
6 Sep 2010 - 1:26 PM

When you've finished with your Kindle, can you use it for lighting the fire ?
It sounds like you could ?

Carabosse
6 Sep 2010 - 2:01 PM

Can you save anything on a Kindle, including the AZW format files, to your computer?

digicammad
6 Sep 2010 - 2:04 PM

Ta Chris. In truth the fact that I get all my books from the library limits the ability to justify spending 200 (I would need to buy 2 as Robbie and I share books Smile)

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 3:45 PM

Do you work for Kindle?

Snapper
Snapper  93740 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 5:55 PM

Quote: When you've finished with your Kindle, can you use it for lighting the fire ?
It sounds like you could ?

Nah, that's kindling! But then again, ........... Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.