Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The end of print

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dcash29
dcash29  81908 forum posts England
6 Sep 2010 - 6:13 PM

Quote: e-ink displays are formed of pixels which are black on one side and white on the other, and changed by passing an electric charge through them. So one they are in the position, they will stay there until the page is refreshed whether the unit's power is on or off.

Thanks most interesting

Is it solar powered?

Last Modified By dcash29 at 6 Sep 2010 - 6:14 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2010 - 6:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LensYews
LensYews  51302 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 6:17 PM

Quote: Is it solar powered?

I've not heard of a solar powered one yet, but that's probably just a matter of time.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 8:11 PM

Quote: There seem to be a large number of ebook formats and, if you look at the table at the end of this article, there appear to be significant incompatibilities.

Of course there are compatibility issues CB, same as with RAW files from digital cameras.

This is a brief explanation of Calibre, which is free. Download it, and go to Project Gutenberg, and download a few free books to see how it works. It covers all of the formats in use today, and will convert automatically any book to the format you want when sending to your ereader or any other device. I don't download books directly into my reader, I download them into a File I created for Calibre, and then add them to Calibre as a link, where they are sorted and the metadata edited as you wish. It is a very simple process, and you can read your books on your PC or laptop using the Calibre program. It take up very little memory for what it does.

If you use the proprietary program for your ereader, it is naturally designed to steer you towards buying books from them. Calibre is not designed that way, it uses preferences set by you, and is extremely user-friendly.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139433 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 12:38 AM

I don't like this thread. sad-light.jpg

It's made me want to buy a Kindle. blush-light.jpg clown-light.jpg

(Although I have a strong feeling it would end up gathering dust, in one of my cupboards, after a relatively short time!)

Last Modified By Carabosse at 7 Sep 2010 - 12:38 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014796 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 4:01 AM

There's never been a better time.Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 11:28 AM

Quote: It's made me want to buy a Kindle.

It's Kindled a burning desire to own one, has it CB? Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139433 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 12:14 PM

Quote:

It's Kindled a burning desire to own one, has it CB? Wink

biggrin-dark.jpg

It's far too easy to buy things these days - a few clicks of the mouse button and your money is gone! Sad

I need to check what is available for the device. Most of my books are reference books on various subjects. I'm not really a reader of fiction these days.

Carabosse
7 Sep 2010 - 3:39 PM

I think it's OK to buy from Amazon. This is their returns policy:

Quote: If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us in its original condition within 30 days of the date you received the item, unopened (with any seals and shrink-wrap intact) and we will issue a full refund for the price you paid for the item.

But.......... the small print needs checking: there might be exclusions (as with Argos's 30-day returns).

Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 6:33 PM

Quote: unopened (with any seals and shrink-wrap intact)

So you open it and try it and then they won't take it back? Quality service!

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 7:01 PM

With the US sourced kindle, most technical books were only recommended for the dx model, which is not yet offered from UK.

Only the smaller version is as far as I can see offered from amazon.co.uk

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2010 - 8:44 PM

Quote: If for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us in its original condition within 30 days of the date you received the item, unopened (with any seals and shrink-wrap intact) and we will issue a full refund for the price you paid for the item.

How do you know whether you are (un)happy with it if you have not opened the package, CB?

(Not that I have had any problem with Amazon where the purchase was defective in some way).

StrayCat
7 Sep 2010 - 9:42 PM

Chris, have you encountered any obstacles yet due to the proprietary nature of the Kindle?

Kris_Dutson
7 Sep 2010 - 10:08 PM

I wonder if you could borrow one from a library? Wink

StrayCat
7 Sep 2010 - 10:10 PM

You could buy one inthe US or Canada, and possibly make money on it over there.Smile

Carabosse
8 Sep 2010 - 12:27 AM

I mentioned the Kindle to a book-enthusiast friend this evening. Predictably, he described it as an "abomination" !! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.