Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

The end of print

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Sep 2010 12:36AM
He may not be informed CB.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Sep 2010 12:49AM
As I said before, I just purchased a new Sony; it's the pocket reader, with a 5" screen, and is not touch screen, and no dictionary. I was trying to get another Sony 600 touch for my granddaughter, but they're going for a high price used. So, I decided to give her my 600 and get the cheaper 300 for myself. I would never use the WiFi on the top models or the Kindle; I use it strictly as a book. I miss the dictionary, but I'm getting used to the 1" difference in screen size; I miss the 5 levels of font size on the 600, only 3 on the 300; I don't miss the touch screen, but the 300 is much slower processing than the 600. The 300s text is much sharper, and much crisper than the 600s, but the larger font size on the 600 counters that. The 600 has glare and is not as clear because of the touch layer added to the screen. The 300 is great for reading books, exactly what I use it for.

Just a little tip, and I'm not sure it means anything; the tendency is to cram as many books as possible on the reader, but I think it slows down processing. I prefer to do my searching in Calibre, and then put a few books on the reader that I want to try.Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Sep 2010 11:49AM

Quote:He may not be informed CB.

He has heard of ebook readers; he also described these devices as a 'solution looking for a problem'. He has about 2000+ books in his home, all neatly displayed on shelves . He values the aesthetic appeal of a physical book far more than most people, though.

Quote:I would never use the WiFi on the top models or the Kindle

That's something which actually interests me. To be able to check my email when away from home etc.

Quote:the tendency is to cram as many books as possible on the reader, but I think it slows down processing

Interesting point.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2010 1:00PM
Well, I think I'll wait.
I'd probably want A4, colour, and good wifi browsing.
And music and video.
Almost a computer in fact. But read mostly, and not for extensive typing.

If I'm just going to read a book, I may as well read a book.
I'd probably prefer that anyway.

If I'm going to do web searching and downloading, I may as well settle in with the desktop PC.
I think I would find the basic e reader pretty frustrating.

I need to think this through a bit more. But I think, if you're a person who already has books, this does look like a gadget looking for a problem, perhaps not quite pointless, but not something you need to spend money on. Not yet any way.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
8 Sep 2010 7:41PM
Just had an argument with my aforesaid friend - I had given him this link to look at the Kindle.

He took the view that it was bad for your eyes because there was bound to be screen flicker. I said, so far as I was aware, devices like this do NOT have flicker. But I wasn't 100% sure of my ground!

Can any of our technically knowledgeable members confirm that screens such as these (and indeed LCD screens generally) do not, and can not, flicker?
LensYews 5 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2010 7:59PM
That's correct there is no screen flicker on an e-ink display
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
8 Sep 2010 8:21PM
In your friend's case CB, it sounds like there might be room for both in his daily routine.

I am finding the smaller Sony model easier to hold for long periods, and I'm adjusting to the smaller text, which stands out so well compared to the touch. I found the 5" screen, compared to the 6" screen on the touch model took a little while to get used to, but what you are missing is wider margins.

I keep 3 or 4 novels that I am currently reading, and several that I have chosen through Calibre on the PC to read next, on the reader, and I have a dozen or so collections of short stories, of which I'm a fan, on there for when I'm waiting at the clinic, or riding the bus, etc. With the Sony pocket edition, a bookmark is created by a button push, and the corner of the page turns down, so I have several bookmarks created for quick access to what I want at any given moment. I also have my K20D manual in PDF on it, and I keep my ereader in my camera sling bag with the camera and a couple of lenses, spare battery and memory card when I go out, and I'm well equipped.Grin
8 Sep 2010 8:46PM
I have this thread to blame for the Kindle 3 due to land at my door in the next few days.
So I'm reading the recent posts with interest Smile

I read a lot and have re-read every book I own and am gasping for new materiel.
I'm completely bewildered in the bookshop; overloaded with choice and no idea where to start finding something I might get on with. I'm not organised enough to do my research online before going down town.
So I'm genuinely excited about the idea of browsing recommended and similar books along with their reviews and being able to purchase them at Kindle price.
Kindle wifi means I don't need a computer to do this and I wont even have to leave my bed on a lazy Sunday morning.
And I can read the free books like Sherlock Holmes which I've never previously got around to getting a copy.

And as already mentioned I'm looking forward to being able to carry around key documents for reference and my Powerpoint presentations (in PDF form) to show other people.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Sep 2010 12:59AM

Quote:I think it's like when TV sets first came out, people will remember the first one they saw.

Blimey Chris, you must be vastly older than we thought! tongue-light.jpg

biggrin-light.jpg

late 1930s wasn't it?

Anyway.......... I am just wondering whether it is worth paying an extra 40 to get the version with built in 3G. I do like the idea of at least being able to check email etc when away from home. Or is the web browsing experience so limited/pathetic etc that it's not worth the money?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Sep 2010 2:34AM
Did you read the Cnet review CB? It gives you a very good idea of the capabilities. I think I read somewhere that the 3G might be to handle games, which Amazon are supposed to be developing.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Sep 2010 2:57AM

Quote:Did you read the Cnet review CB?

No, but I have now - thanks for pointing me to it. Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Sep 2010 1:41PM
Email, forums and (maybe) Wiki and news sites is about all I'd be likely to use a Kindle for - other than book reading of course.

I guess I've got to ask myself how often I'd want to do this when out of reach of a wifi service (hotel, cafe etc). 40 is a good deal less than a tank of petrol in my car (as I always say to people who are reluctant to pay 29pa for e2 membership grin-light.jpg

) But if I'm almost never going to use it, then it's 40 I could spend on getting books for the device.

Decisions, decisions! Sad Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
9 Sep 2010 3:42PM

Quote:You can only kick yourself if you don't get the 3G, not if you do, I like it as a backup if Wi-Fi is down.

Oh, I hadn't realised you had got the 3G version Chris.

Well that's tipped the (fine) balance.................. I've just ordered a 3G Kindle 3. Smile

And got this response: we'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item

Oh well. hmm-dark.jpg

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2010 3:52PM

Quote:

Oh, I hadn't realised you had got the 3G version Chris.

Me too. If you want to get a new book when you finish, why have to wait until you find a wi-fi hotspot?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
12 Sep 2010 4:27AM
Bookmarked Chris, thanks.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.