Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The ethics of candid photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    paulbroad@talk21.com

How do people feel about shooting pictures of people without their knowledge in public places. I do not mean when the shots are an obvious invasion of privacy, but when the subjects are showing themselves in totally public areas.

I have had interesting comments in American galleries on perfectly innocent topless beach candids in Majorca, including one site insisting that I removed my offensive material.

Others felt candid photography itself was aninvasion of privacy.

I feel that, providing th subject is not being ridiculed, then there should be no problem ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Aug 2001 - 1:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom

I often take candid photos of people I think would make interesting subjects, although I think you should take into account what the subject would think about being displayed in public. Sunbathing topless is one thing, having candid photos of yourself displayed in galleries or on the web is quite another.
    If you don't think the person would mind, what's to stop you going up to them and asking ? I suspect it's because you know the answer !!!

Katie
    Katie  1376 forum posts

Personally i think you can gain greater emotion from a sujects face, or reaction from being in a certain environemt when the subject does not know that are being photographed. Often when you mention to "Joe Bloggs" on the street that you would like to take their shot, but you want them to act natural, afterall that is what drew you to the subject in the first place, then they immediately put on a false bravado. It could be unintentional, however it does spoil the mood of the shot.
    I agree that in certain cultures and sensitve areas it would be more than sensible to ask, but for reportage photography my opinion is, if you want to capture the image you need it in it's raw stage.

anon
    anon  1131 forum posts
    12 Oct 2001 - 8:43 AM

I wonder where you stand legally if the subject objects to the use of a candid shot when they see it used?

Will we soon be forced approach the subject clutching a model release agreement once we've taken the shot?!

lubylou
    lubylou  13
    13 Oct 2001 - 5:36 PM

I dont think it would be much of a problem if using a digital camera, you could show them the shot, explain why you took then ask if they object, if they do simply delete it there and then

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Oct 2001 - 5:47 PM

That's true. I went to a fair the other evening and photographed stall holders in their surroundings. If anyone saw me I went up and showed them the image on the camera's preview screen and explained what I was doing. No problem. I was even asked for a copy by one of them.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.