Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

The Fujifilm FinePix X100 has arrived! (Interactive review!)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3598 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
16 Mar 2011 - 10:48 AM

-dsc2196.jpg

-dsc2197.jpg

Apart from the usual testing that we put the camera through, what do you want to know / see first?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Mar 2011 - 10:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi Josh. You have announced a number of new cameras on the forum recently.

Others may disagree, but to my mind most of the cameras have not been of the sort that typical ePhotozine members would be interested in, other than (possibly) as a second or third camera. In this particular instance we are talking about an expensive highly-niche camera that, out of more than 6000 active members only a tiny handful might buy.

If you could tell us what is behind these forum announcements of relatively uninteresting cameras, and why they are being made, it may be mutually helpful. Thanks. Smile

MeanGreeny
16 Mar 2011 - 11:08 AM

There's one for sale on eBay UK - it's already at approx 1,000 with nearly a week to go

If you're desperate for one then you'd better bid - production has been suspended in the wake of the disaster in Japan Sad

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 11:10 AM

This is a niche camera so perhaps the best way is to test it as such. So out and about street photography how does it perform, so give it to one of our members and get them to give a view on it. Also is there any way to capture what the viewfinder view is like. I think a number of people will be interested, but a smaller quantity will be ready to buy.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 11:37 AM

I don't know where CB gets his 'observation' from. Lots of people have been saying they want to downsize, maybe this will be their main camera? And relatively uninterested to you, there are lots of people who are. Maybe you will change your mind, like using 5D2 for video etc? Tongue

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
16 Mar 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi Josh - if epz only discussed/reviewed what 'typical ephotozine members' wanted it would indeed be an extremely dull place to visit. There is more to photography for some people than subscribing to the mass market models churned out for the mass market in order to take landscapes of beaches with a puddle in the foreground and blurred clouds thanks to a 10 stop ND filter..

This particular camera, while IMO overpriced for what it is, appeals to me for a lot of the reasons that the latest Canon crop sensor DSLR does not appeal to me.

Long live variety, consumer choice and competiton.

I agree with Strawman, the viewfinder is the obvious advance here so more info on how that handles would be good. I'd also like to see someone used to street photography use the camera and give an opinion on (especially) the autofocus speed.

Ian.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 11:59 AM

Judging by the discussions at Focus and the activity on the Fuji stand this camera is one of the most interesting new cameras at the moment. We certainly want to help answer questions you may have about the x100.
Some of the other cameras posted are highlights from Focus. We are not just catering for the perceived forum / gallery photographer, but also the larger readership who pass through the site unnoticed, sourcing necessary information from news, reviews and techniques.

strawman
strawman  1022003 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 12:01 PM

I have a chance to do a bit of photography on the 27th of March, a record of what its like to be a budget car racer at a race weekend, so ship it to me and I would love to give a go at using it. I was going to take my rangefinder and a roll of B&W film to see what happens, as a limit on kit and exposures but this would be a great chance to try the camera.

SteveCharles
16 Mar 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for speaking for everybody there, CB... This is actually one of the most eagerly awaited camera releases for some time. There are a lot of street photographers hoping this is the camera they've been waiting for. Hey, if the site wants someone to do a street photography test with it, I'll do it! I think the interest this camera has generated shows that there is a demand for the simple but well built discrete 'classic' digital camera with a price tag well south of a Leica M9.

I think for me, and I would think a lot of the target market, I'd like to know about the extent and ease of use of manual controls, and the shutter lag - is it really a viable alternative to a true rangefinder?

joshwa
16 Mar 2011 - 12:11 PM

Here's the first part of the review:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-x100-15857

The camera, the introduction, and speed tests (as I knew there was a LOT of discussion about this at Focus)

Next will be ISO samples... which I'm just about to go and take.

Alan_Coles
16 Mar 2011 - 12:11 PM

More than anything let's see some images that it takes.

I would like to see some landscapes (send someone to Scotland this week with it)

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 12:17 PM

Quote: I don't know where CB gets his 'observation' from

Just to make it abundantly clear - my comment was a general one, and not related specifically to this camera, which was based on the list here.

Quote: This is actually one of the most eagerly awaited camera releases for some time

Really? It's like "eagerly awaiting" the lastest Wiesmann car - wonderfully retro and costing 100,000+! Grin

wiesmann.jpg

Last Modified By Carabosse at 16 Mar 2011 - 12:17 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2011 - 12:26 PM

Not really like that example at all CB
but even so I'd like to know how that car performs and would either make me feel inadequate with my crappy car or happy that it's not worth the multiple times mine. Performance Car magazine often sold to people who would never buy the cars it covered but dreamed of owning them.

joshwa
16 Mar 2011 - 12:48 PM

There was a lot of coverage of compact cameras due to the Focus show - some of the cameras (Kodak in particular) aren't really covered by other sites at all, so I felt it was worth coverage as much as possible, as there's a possibility that someone, somewhere will be interested in the coverage.

Just uploading some ISO test shots now. Thanks, Josh

uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2011 - 1:56 PM

a 1000 quid for that i dont think so. some muppets will buy anthing for style it would have to look a pentax k5 or nikon d7000 for that money.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.